Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:52:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethernet Hub & Switches help!  (Read 4026 times)
TheOutride (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 03:05:01 AM

So heres the idea:
1.Router
2.Gaming Console & RaspberryPi
3.Ethernet Hub & Another Ethernet Hub
4. BTC ASIC Miners (5 on each ethernet hub)

So the real explanation.
The main router has 1 ethernet cable plugged into it. This router leads to a 2 female 1 male ethernet port where the Gaming Console and RaspberryPi connect to the internet.
The thing is, that the raspberrypi has only 1 ethernet port, so before it connects into the RaspberryPi, it has a switch of 2 female 1 male, and the male plugs into rasppi, the two female has 1 plugged in from the xbox and rasppi part.
from here, there is 1 female ethernet that connects to the rasppi and etherner, there I connect one more that splits into two, and those two females lead the cables for the Ethernet Hubs (5 each)
On each Ethernet Hub, I'll have 5 asics (AntMiner S3) plugged in and running.

Could this work? Any thoughts/comments/ideas? Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 04:51:27 AM

I feel like you are either confused, or I am being trolled.

I have never heard of "male" Ethernet ports. I believe even thinnet, AUI, and fiber tend to be female ports.

Second, hubs are distinct from switches. You are allow about 5 levels of repeaters and 250m of distance in a single collision domain (at 10Mbps anyway, not sure how 100Mbps hubs changed that).

You should be able to plug the "uplink" port of the hubs/ switches directly into the "lan" ports on the router.

If your connection is at least 100Mbps, I doubt you will have a problem. If you want to isolate the mining traffic from the rest of the network, you may need a machine with two network cards (to act as a router). (A bridge would work as well if the Rasberry Pi is on the same side as the miners (A switch can act as a bridge (your router probably has a built-in 4 port switch))).

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 01:41:27 PM

I feel like you are either confused, or I am being trolled.

I have never heard of "male" Ethernet ports. I believe even thinnet, AUI, and fiber tend to be female ports.

Second, hubs are distinct from switches. You are allow about 5 levels of repeaters and 250m of distance in a single collision domain (at 10Mbps anyway, not sure how 100Mbps hubs changed that).

You should be able to plug the "uplink" port of the hubs/ switches directly into the "lan" ports on the router.

If your connection is at least 100Mbps, I doubt you will have a problem. If you want to isolate the mining traffic from the rest of the network, you may need a machine with two network cards (to act as a router). (A bridge would work as well if the Rasberry Pi is on the same side as the miners (A switch can act as a bridge (your router probably has a built-in 4 port switch))).

I agree I have done a lot of networking.  Never seen a "male" Ethernet port.  Unless he is talking about a cable or something hes using.

TheOutride (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 06:16:18 PM

Sorry about that, I meant male as in:
http://www.sapling-inc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ethernet-cable.jpg

and by "female" i meant:
http://terrywhite.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ethernet.png

Sorry guys. But yeah I'm somewhat new to networking. So what if I just got a switch, where I could plug in the router ethernet to, and from that switch plug in the miners & rasppi?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 06:22:21 PM

I'm still a little unsure with initial question.

Yes you can plug a hub into a router.   Doing this will give you more Ethernet slots.  You can plug any device into these, it does not matter game console or miner.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 10:21:32 PM

my head hurts....

simple solution would be buy some new 5 or 7 port hubs wire 1 from the router to the xbox and pi then wire another to the hubs that run the miners
hubs are very easy to deal with aslong as they can get to the router then they have internet

failing that draw your set out XD helps us all out

xjack

Activity: 539
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 10:56:49 PM

As a general philosophy - ethernet is not configured in "splits".  It is configured as a star.  A hub, switch or router would serve as the "middle", more hubs can be plugged into the "middle" to make little mini-star network nodes - an extended star.  Do not configure such that there are more than 4 cables in between your farthest device and the router - or if you're going to fileshare, no more than 4 cables between devices.

Google search "cat 5 extended star topology" and you can browse thousands of potential config images.

Better yet, post make and model numbers of the networking equipment and we'll try to help with the best config.

xjack - 1xjackDMgJCLn1LDtbgh51DYw6uRgeHVb
Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=482124.0
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 09:21:37 PM

As a general philosophy - ethernet is not configured in "splits".  It is configured as a star.  A hub, switch or router would serve as the "middle", more hubs can be plugged into the "middle" to make little mini-star network nodes - an extended star.  Do not configure such that there are more than 4 cables in between your farthest device and the router - or if you're going to fileshare, no more than 4 cables between devices.

Google search "cat 5 extended star topology" and you can browse thousands of potential config images.

Better yet, post make and model numbers of the networking equipment and we'll try to help with the best config.

Honestly there is not a lot to help.  Find a router that can be used as a bridge.... turn on configure to connect to other wireless.  You then have 5 most likely ports.

Or use a wireless adapter and hub.  With this you could use a larger hub is advantage.
TheOutride (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 10:43:04 PM

all good my head does too. I've honestly just given up. Mining at this point isn't profitable at all... might be better off w/ simply buying the bitcoins up front instead of mine and worry and pay for power, etc
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 12:06:34 AM

all good my head does too. I've honestly just given up. Mining at this point isn't profitable at all... might be better off w/ simply buying the bitcoins up front instead of mine and worry and pay for power, etc

It is much harder then it was.  If you have lots of power, space, and decent priced electricity you can still roi.  Each needs to do their own ROI for their mining, as buying is so low right now.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2014, 05:54:59 AM

This was the important part of my post. (without the tech jargon)

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 02:14:31 PM

This was the important part of my post. (without the tech jargon)

Also if you do use a router you might look into firmware such as DDWRT.  I have one running it perfect not a single problem and it is a good 5+ year old router.   I am getting ready to flash another router with DDWRT soon to use in a different location.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: