Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:06:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Repair a fried Antminer S4 beaglebone card  (Read 6006 times)
kilo17 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 04:29:07 AM
Last edit: October 25, 2014, 06:41:37 AM by kilo17

Before i start I want to give out thanks:
1) I want to thank cryptocrane.com for quick delivery and being stand up and helping with the Antminer problems-- super cool
2) I want to thank Antminer for making a defective unit and being absolutely no help in resolving the problem, even though silmilar problems are written about on these forums from the S2.
3) I cannot remember who it was but a guide was written about the beaglebone issues on the S2 and how to replace the card--thanks

A quick introduction, I am new to BTC and come from a background of extreme overclocking etc.  I have followed BTC for years and decided it was time to play with some mining hardware. ( I know, a little late to the party).  I purchased 2 Antminer S4's about 2 weeks ago from http://cryptocrane.com and received my rigs 2 days after purchase.  Within 2 days one of the miners was dead.  It had the dreaded amber light on the PSU.  

This is a simple repair of a fried BB board.  It may or may not be easier to replace the BB board for $60.

After a little searching I realized the PSU issue and opened the unit and replaced it with 2 Corsair units that I had in my possession.  The unit was still dead and after playing around with it I got the LCD to at least come on but then realized I had a dead beaglebone card.  None of the beaglebone LED's were lighting up.  

I continued looking online and found the guide to replace the beaglebone card and update the SD card etc.  So i ordered a couple of beaglebone cards.  This is after getting no assistance from Bitmain. The guys at cryptocrane.com were replacing the PSU's and helping troubleshoot.

The problem with ordering parts is I have to wait--- not my strong point.  So i took out the parts and went to work.  

Again- these mods were on the non working BB board and I would not suggest doing these mods on a new BB card as it would be unnecessary.

I am still not sure if the PSU or the beaglebone card went first but I would bet the PSU shorted the beaglebone card.

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kilo17 (OP)
Legendary

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 04:46:02 AM
Last edit: October 25, 2014, 06:30:47 AM by kilo17

After identifying that it was a power issue I took an old cell phone charger and clipped the end off and applied it as follows to verify that the beaglebone card would light up...I used a 5v charger,  per the BB docs 5 volts was the rec.

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
kilo17 (OP)
Legendary

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 04:56:02 AM
Last edit: October 25, 2014, 06:37:37 AM by kilo17

You will notice there are 3 locations to apply the wires in the picture, for testing, apply the wires to the 2 spots closest to the ethernet port.  If it does not work then reverse them.  After identifying the way that works, label them.  Next I split the wire that goes to the spot closest to TP5-TP8.  The extra wire will be soldered to the "side spot" as shown below.

Don't make fun of the solder job, it was a quick fix---or i was really tired-- Grin

kilo17 (OP)
Legendary

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 05:14:23 AM
Last edit: October 25, 2014, 06:38:47 AM by kilo17

Notice in the picture below that i removed the first 4 rows of the Expansion Connector.  (1-8 of P9). 1-8 are power connections. Pins 9-10 are the reset and power buttons (not present on the Antminer S4 beaglebone board). This info was obtained from the BB docs.   I used a box cutter to press throught the plastic down to the board and then broke it off with pliers.  I then removed the pins with pliers.  This is a necessary step because when I applied power and then reinserted the beaglebone board it would short and turn off.  ( I am keeping this tutorial simple and not going into much detail of why). So removing these pins and using an outside power source elimintates the problem.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 05:22:06 AM

May you please explain why you didn't just swap out the dead BB with a new BB? What specifically is the mod solving?

kilo17 (OP)
Legendary

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 05:23:48 AM

Next I hook up the power source to the green board and verify the LED's are working. ...

Then power up the beaglebone card...

kilo17 (OP)
Legendary

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 05:31:10 AM

Replace the BB board and runs good as new...

replaced into the machine...

kilo17 (OP)
Legendary

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 05:45:35 AM

May you please explain why you didn't just swap out the dead BB with a new BB? What specifically is the mod solving?

Really?....are you "that guy" that likes to crap on others work--every forum has one...this mod saves time and money....

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 05:56:45 AM

Really?....are you "that guy" that likes to crap on others work--every forum has one...this mod saves time and money....

:/ I'm just asking, because I don't understand what it achieved or is aiming to achieve.

bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 06:05:32 AM

@kilo17
It worth to check the beaglebone's docs and use a multimeter to determine the proper position of wires instead of try&burn your replacement board.
kilo17 (OP)
Legendary

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 06:06:38 AM

Sorry, thought you were hazing (lol).  I saw there were issues with flashing etc on the S2 and wasn't sure if that would be an issue on the S4 as well.  Also these units being my first 2 mining rigs I was excited to have them running.  I simply repaired it while I was waiting for the new BB cards to arrive.  It is running great so I have not used the new cards.  I think the bigger benefit would be for people that do not have an extra $50-70 to spend on a new BB card or wait weeks to get a replacement from Bitmain (which I suspect would be a long process since they did not want to deal with me since I purchased it from a third party).  Thanks

kilo17 (OP)
Legendary

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 06:14:13 AM

@kilo17
It worth to check the beaglebone's docs and use a multimeter to determine the proper position of wires instead of try&burn your replacement board.

I think I was way to vague, sorry.  This is not the replacement BB board, this is a repair of the fried BB board. 

I did use the doc's from beaglebone and check with a multimeter, I should have mentioned that.  I used the pin outs and power rec. from the BB docs...I was trying to keep it simple and staright forward, i may have over simplified it.

bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 06:16:58 AM

@kilo17

I think I was way to vague, sorry.  This is not the replacement BB board, this is a repair of the fried BB board. 

I did use the doc's from beaglebone and check with a multimeter, I should have mentioned that.  I used the pin outs and power rec. from the BB docs...I was trying to keep it simple and staright forward, i may have over simplified it.

Then could you please edit your post regarding this so no inexperienced user would do this mistake.
Thank you
kilo17 (OP)
Legendary

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 06:28:23 AM

@kilo17

Then could you please edit your post regarding this so no inexperienced user would do this mistake.
Thank you

Thanks Bee7 and Dogie for bringing the confusion to my attention... I have updated the opening post and the Title to make it more clear what is being accomplished.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 07:37:41 AM

What do you believe was damaged on the old board, that the fix bypasses or replaces?

kilo17 (OP)
Legendary

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:33:39 AM

What do you believe was damaged on the old board, that the fix bypasses or replaces?

The short is located between the PSU 6 pin connector on the green board and Pins 1-8 on the expansion interface closest to the 6-pin connector  (1-8 of P9 on the BB board).  The repair actually bypasses the 6-pin connector supplying the power to the BB board and therefore bypasses the short.  I will upload some pics of the multimeter readings tomorrow showing the short etc.  I think when the PSU died it caused the short but thats just my $.02--

achtung082

Activity: 358
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 01:34:39 AM

Did you have to get a replacement BBB or the actual card it sits on? If its the actual card it sits on how do you get one of these? Is it direct from Bitmain and how much was it?

thanks

Support sidehack projects: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
My Sales Wallet BTC:bc1qxtxsc86lessnrsm52gf7qgmqle75htdr03zdd7 - LTC:LNLKyKkGNCJakZudGjc2qg26yYz7oeo92k - ETH:0xDf1b17872D9Ff22F04270BbDA13556B3E1649E27
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2014, 04:56:41 AM

@kilo17,

Thank you for sharing the info!!

If the Beagle Bone was fried, when the PSU went down, your unit is covered under the warranty.  Please contact Bitmain or tech support and the tech can arrange you the replacement Beagle Bone.

We have beagle bones and the control PCB in stock for RMA needs!

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 12:59:55 PM

@kilo17,

If the Beagle Bone was fried, when the PSU went down, your unit is covered under the warranty.  Please contact Bitmain or tech support and the tech can arrange you the replacement Beagle Bone.

So, you refuse to help the guy when he first asks you, leaving him to work out a fix for himself. Then, after he's done so & posted about it and your lack of help - you then decide to offer help for him?  Roll Eyes Bit late don't you think?

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
sbogovac
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1192

I don't believe in denial.

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 01:26:15 PM

@kilo17,

So, you refuse to help the guy when he first asks you, leaving him to work out a fix for himself. Then, after he's done so & posted about it and your lack of help - you then decide to offer help for him?  Roll Eyes Bit late don't you think?

Well, frankly... he did:

Quote from: kilo17
[...] purchased it from a third party [...]

0x7442A5c37E513D335F53843cD20c00F77eAC7867
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: