Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:53:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin userbars  (Read 1114 times)
Portnoy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 10:43:39 PM

For use on forums where such things are popular.

See all I've made so far here.

A few examples:

Some of them animated together:

Example showing it animated together with other userbars:

( that userbars.be site lets you create such animations )

Feel free to offer any suggestions for any new ones that might be good to create.

If you like what what you see, and would like to see more, consider a small donation: 18mptDWiSUSV63V1YPRDgC8xRRxRbbRC5u

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 10:44:47 PM

Those are very busy and very hard to read on my monitor.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 10:46:53 PM

Problem is you can't use them here... Images in sigs are disallowed.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Portnoy (OP)
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 10:56:22 PM

Those are very busy and very hard to read on my monitor.

Such is the nature of userbars. They can perhaps have a kinda subliminal effect. 
Portnoy (OP)
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 10:58:02 PM

Which is why I said, "For use on forums where such things are popular."

Why would anyone need to use them here? They are not meant for preaching to the choir.   Wink
REF

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 11:46:15 PM

they look good to me

since when some users have pictures in there sig
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=32204
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:52:51 AM

Because they are grandfathered in; if they go edit their sig, they will find that the images have been erased and can't be had back. When theymos decided to ban sig images, he didn't want to go erase all existing images, so they just get erased when the sig gets changed.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Portnoy (OP)
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 04:37:05 PM

Because they are grandfathered in; if they go edit their sig, they will find that the images have been erased and can't be had back. When theymos decided to ban sig images, he didn't want to go erase all existing images, so they just get erased when the sig gets changed.

I don't disagree that it is good to discourage the use of very large, and multiple, images like in that example. Isn't it possible, with this forum software, to restrict the image size in signatures to something small and unobtrusive like those 19px high userbars?

But anyway, don't people on forums like this ever frequent other forums where you see those kinds of userbars (I have seen them on gamer sites and sites related to movies, tv, and popular culture... e.g. anime)? It just seemed to me to be a better way of subtly spreading the word about bitcoin. Rather than an in-your-face marketing approach intended to actively influence others ideas and behaviors, which so often annoys, it is more about personal expression, "These are some of my favorite things".

Rather than turning others off it may possibly leave space for curiosity and open-mindedness to arise. Rather than making people feel like they are being told to do something (even a rather innocuous phrase like "ask me about bitcoin" is still a command  Wink  ), it may allow them to approach it themselves, as something they have chosen to do on their own.

"Bitcoin? What is that I wonder? Some kind of money? I like money... let me investigate."    

Unlike some I don't consider the vast majority of the population to be sheep, even on those type of sites I mentioned, it just seems like that with the poor signal-to-noise ratio, and it is those non-bleaters with minds of their own that it would be good to have join us.    Smiley

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 05:05:27 PM

Flip through this thread here to see who all has an image signature still. -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48144.0;all

Long live the grandfathers!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: