Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:01:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What should be the main base unit of bitcoin?
[whatever-name] (100 satoshis) - 24 (57.1%)
full bitcoin (100000000 satoshis) - 18 (42.9%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: To be or not to be - the clock is ticking for standardisation of base unit  (Read 1995 times)
Evertype

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 02:13:38 PM

I cannot see how to vote, but I vote for 100 satoshi as being the main unit. The other one is too oddball for ordinary people to understand or to use. Buying coffee with 8 decimal places? That's absurd.

If this currency is to be taken seriously, it cannot be so weird.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Goldmundo (OP)

Activity: 46

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2014, 02:42:19 PM

Michael, voting is not enabled until you reach the next member rank (30ish posts if I understand correctly). I have already asked the admin to remove this limit temporarily so we can gauge the opinions of a wider user base, not just people who actively post on this forum.

To prove my point on how it doesn't make sense to limit voting in this way - Michael here is an expert with several years of experience in typography and Unicode. He's been one of the most active and helpful members of the Financial Standards Working Group formed by BTCF to come up with recommendations regarding standardisation of bitcoin. And he is not able to vote in this poll here because he didn't complain 30+ times about how low the price of bitcoin is.

Again, @theymos, please help us get this poll right and remove the limit so that Newbies can vote as well. Thank you.
Super T

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 02:54:14 PM

The satoshi symbol is the greek letter sigma with an extra line...it's also basically the same as the bits symbol turned on it's side.

What could possibly go wrong...
LeMiner

Activity: 139
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 03:00:12 PM

bit
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2014, 04:23:14 PM

What could possibly go wrong...
Bread wallet uses a symbol for bits; many wallets can show milibits, we had such a need for a 1 bitcoin symbol here we had code to create a BTC written and put on the tools bar.

I think multiple units will be used for quite some time. I think recognizing the diverse needs of diverse groups if wiser than only giving one option for everyone.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
ITMozit

Activity: 1

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2014, 04:25:19 PM

Hey, I am new to this place. I want to know how Bitcoins work. Can anyone help?
RonPaulBTC

Activity: 66

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 04:30:51 PM

Satoshis are the best way to solve this. It feels like dollars. 1 million satoshis = 1 BTC = 1 million dollar, its meant to happen.
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 05:23:03 PM

Satoshis are the best way to solve this. It feels like dollars. 1 million satoshis = 1 BTC = 1 million dollar, its meant to happen.

Except that you're wrong. 100 million satoshis = 1 BTC, not just one million.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Goldmundo (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2014, 04:52:17 AM

^People just can't handle too large or too small numbers, that's all...
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2014, 07:39:03 AM

Thank-you for changing the first poll option.

(I am on record hating the "bit" name, but supporting the 100 satoshi value for the XBT symbol)

I think http://zibcoin.org/ just converted me to "zib".

No second thought: that may not be catchy enough: I had to look that post up.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
thms

Activity: 427
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 07:58:42 AM

100 satoshis is the way to go but we have to come up with a better name than the controversial 'bits'
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 08:31:06 AM

Replace [whatever-name] with bits and run the poll again... Bits is pretty standard by now and noone is going to call it otherwise anyway...
KingOfTrolls

Activity: 69

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 09:35:42 AM

How does one vote in this poll?

I myself can't vote, which I thought had to do with me being the creator of the poll (although that doesn't make much sense either). But now I heard from another person that they can't vote either. Yet, some people obviously were able to vote. Enlighten us please.

(I did not lock the poll and I do not see any problematic options in the poll settings panel.)
I prefer to keep this poll simple as it is with two options only as these two options are most widely supported (I believe). I'd be curious though to see how much support would 1 satoshi get if poll worded appropriately and with a yes/no answer.

Since voting is not possible here for majority of people, can someone recommend another place to do this poll? Or can admins remove the limit, at least temporarily?
I cannot see how to vote, but I vote for 100 satoshi as being the main unit. The other one is too oddball for ordinary people to understand or to use. Buying coffee with 8 decimal places? That's absurd.

If this currency is to be taken seriously, it cannot be so weird.
Michael, voting is not enabled until you reach the next member rank (30ish posts if I understand correctly). I have already asked the admin to remove this limit temporarily so we can gauge the opinions of a wider user base, not just people who actively post on this forum.

To prove my point on how it doesn't make sense to limit voting in this way - Michael here is an expert with several years of experience in typography and Unicode. He's been one of the most active and helpful members of the Financial Standards Working Group formed by BTCF to come up with recommendations regarding standardisation of bitcoin. And he is not able to vote in this poll here because he didn't complain 30+ times about how low the price of bitcoin is.

Again, @theymos, please help us get this poll right and remove the limit so that Newbies can vote as well. Thank you.
Hey, I am new to this place. I want to know how Bitcoins work. Can anyone help?

Preserving this for future reference... Roll Eyes

By the way: "Eight decimals" versus "two decimals" is a false dichotomy, as I have clearly pointed out.
StealthCoin1

Activity: 498
Merit: 252

Life failures Stealthcoin, Ark coin and Safemoon

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 09:38:54 AM

bitcoin is best is best for now
minibit will happening if bitcoin is at $1,000,000 each

Stealthcoin, Ark and Safemoon my life 3 investment failures while bashing Ethereum at 0.20cent. Bye bye
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 09:45:45 AM

Replace [whatever-name] with bits and run the poll again... Bits is pretty standard by now and noone is going to call it otherwise anyway...

Perhaps a day will come when a newbie will ask "What's the name for 100 satoshi?" and the thread lasts about 8 posts where pretty much each response is just "It's called a bit".  On that day I'll concede "bits" as being "pretty standard".

Today however, every such thread contains many comments expressing disapproval of the term, for one reason or another, and such threads typically last for many pages.  Controversial, as thms observes, is the correct adjective.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 11:19:17 AM

Today however, every such thread contains many comments expressing disapproval of the term, for one reason or another, and such threads typically last for many pages.  Controversial, as thms observes, is the correct adjective.

Bitcoin developers call it bit(s), bitcoin businesses call it bit(s), bitcoin bloggers/news sites etc call it bits.
For me thats enough to consider it standard...
Goldmundo (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2014, 07:35:12 AM

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54619107/Goldmund/bitcoin/support-bits.jpg
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile