Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:18:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Mining Machine - A newbie - Your Help (:  (Read 1747 times)
benyben (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:27:12 AM

Sorry - I am sure this is annoying as U prob. get someone asking all the time.

I want to get into mining.

I have the money available to buy a system to do so.

Only thing is, I am the lazy type when it comes to research and so on (:

May I bluntly ask, considering a system with the HD 6990 [is this the fastest one one can get?], running full speed non-stop, and after taking into consideration the electric bill [how much is it? more than a 1K a month?], what is the "profit" created by such mining?

Please don't kill me for asking  Cry

Will appreciate your response

And thank you!
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:38:09 AM

the 58xx series still reigns - if not precisely supreme.  nevertheless, it's the best bang for the buck, if you can find them.

linux is the best operating system - although windows has some overclocking utilities that are better.  i use linux, and prefer GPUs of the Sapphire brand - they come with a *much* better over/under-clockable range, using the linux tool: AMDOverdriveCtrl.

your electric bill estimation appears to have a misplaced decimal.  a thousand-watt system (GPU + CPU + fans + HDD, with no CD/DvD drive [what for?], speakers, etc) might cost two or three bucks a day...  tops, in the US.

read this forum until your eyes cross.  it's all here...
benyben (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:39:19 AM

Appreciate your response!!!!

atomicsewer

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:41:32 AM

Check out some of the Youtube videos that casascius recently created.  He goes pretty in-depth into what it would take.  I'm sure he wouldn't even mind telling you the exact hardware he uses (if he hasn't posted on here already).  I believe he also offers a cloned drive that you can purchase which can get you that much further faster.
benyben (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:43:56 AM

Wow thanks! I don't even know what cloned drives mean - but I will look into that!!!
atomicsewer

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:51:38 AM

benyben, a cloned drive is simply a hard drive that has been cloned/mirrored from another drive (as its source).  casascius has his mining rig set up, and sells drives that are perfect mirrors of his setup.  So if you got a drive like that from him, it'd be a plug and play type of thing, assuming some hardware matches.

There are quite a few users with impressive rigs on the site.  They would all have tokens of wisdom to smooth any bumps on your mining path.
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:52:56 AM

Wow thanks! I don't even know what cloned drives mean - but I will look into that!!!

cloned drives are like burning a .iso image onto a USB drive to install an operating system - except they come completely configured with the suite of programs one needs to do the task at hand - in this case, mining.
benyben (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:54:08 AM

I should have figured that this is the meaning of a cloned drive! Of course!

I am dead-scared about going into mining, but I am better off buying a rig, as it is still usable even if the US GOV decides to shut this thing down (:
At least I will have a sick gaming rig  Tongue

I'm actually a broke student, with bills to pay - but I BELIEVE IN THIS SO MUCH, that my body is BOILING with excitement!
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:57:05 AM

I should have figured that this is the meaning of a cloned drive! Of course!

I am dead-scared about going into mining, but I am better off buying a rig, as it is still usable even if the US GOV decides to shut this thing down (:
At least I will have a sick gaming rig  Tongue

I'm actually a broke student, with bills to pay - but I BELIEVE IN THIS SO MUCH, that my body is BOILING with excitement!

you are officially... a miner.
benyben (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 06:00:26 AM

(:

So it's the 5970? I am surprised. I thought the 6990 will put it to shame. Weird.
Nythain

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 06:43:26 AM

It ain't playing games, it's doing SCIENCE! well, not really, but it's fun to say
benyben (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 06:46:00 AM

U want to hear the funny thing? I sold my 5970 two months ago (I didn't even know what Bitcoins is, let alone mining), thinking - who needs it?!
 Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: