Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:22:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Bitcoins disappeared.  (Read 2103 times)
Chris180Z (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 07:04:12 AM

I was mining with the GPUMiner and got up to 1 bitcoin, I hit withdraw and the balance disappeared from deepbit.
That was over two weeks ago and I have no idea where my bitcoins went.

Can anyone help me out on this?
Thanks,
Chris
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2011, 09:10:46 AM

Have you looked in the wallet that contains the address that you gave to deepbit?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Chris180Z (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:51:08 PM

Hello, so I am back again.

I recently re-discovered BitCoin. I logged in to my old deepbit account however I never solved this problem of my original BitCoins disappearing. All I get in my account is "0.00000000 BTC".

I have my original "bitcoin address" that was given to me when I was mining for bitcoins some years ago however I have no idea where to put this address, or how to use it. I placed it in the text field marked "Your bitcoin address for receiving rewards:" upon which I was sent an e-mail confirmation, I clicked on the e-mail link, was taken back to my deepbit account and still it showed me no bitcoins in my account.

As far as I can see there doesn't appear to be any option that even mentions "wallet".

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smiley.
Kokomoka

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:53:26 PM

Post your bitcoin address so we can check via the block chain explorere website.

If you still have the private key for the address then you can set up wallet software and recover your coins.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 04:53:35 PM

So you never created an online Wallet or downloaded Bitcoin-QT?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:00:07 PM

Post your bitcoin address so we can check via the block chain explorere website.

If you still have the private key for the address then you can set up wallet software and recover your coins.
THIS.

You can check the balance of an address by entering it here: https://blockexplorer.com/
You will then see where your coin was sent. Of course you will need to have access to the corresponding wallet file, or at least the private keys from that wallet. Remember that the most important single step in using bitcoin is to make multiple copies of your wallet.dat file and secure them. If you loose your wallet, you have lost your private keys and your bitcoins. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Chris180Z (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:13:52 PM

Thank you for your help so far everyone. I have a few addresses. I checked my first one and got a match straight away: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1EEhVtBsHMRrau6MUmUMXcewJdaGKbmZcM.

So I suppose my question is, how do I actually get hold of the coins so I can use them as payment for online stores?

I just downloaded Bitcoin-QT and I have a wallet open. I've searched online to see how to retain addresses through Bitcoin-QT but no luck so far. Sorry if I seem like a total newb, because I am! As for making backup wallet.dat files, I have no such files backed up and I do not remember making such files. All I have is a list of bitcoin addresses. Does this mean all the coins are lost? Sad. If there is anything involved in entering a password or passkey then I know exactly what I would have used (if given the choice to make your own key). Thanks.
hrrsn

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 07:11:41 AM

You need the private keys for that address - i.e. a copy of the original wallet file you created back in 2011.
Chris180Z (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:21:28 PM

You need the private keys for that address - i.e. a copy of the original wallet file you created back in 2011.

Thanks. Guess I don't have that. Oh well, it's not like I paid for the coins really so nothing gained nothing lost Smiley.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:31:09 PM

Thanks. Guess I don't have that. Oh well, it's not like I paid for the coins really so nothing gained nothing lost Smiley.
It might be worth checking any old discs or hard drives from that time period. One day your 1 BTC could be quite a treasure.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Kokomoka

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:48:44 PM

If he (or she) has the public address and thinks they know the passphrase (as suggested by the original poster) then do they need the wallet.dat file? Isn't this effectively a brain wallet?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 07:01:01 PM

If he (or she) has the public address and thinks they know the passphrase (as suggested by the original poster) then do they need the wallet.dat file?

Yes.

Isn't this effectively a brain wallet?

No.

The passphrase is used to encrypt the wallet.dat that has the private key inside.

If you don't have the wallet.dat, then there is nothing to decrypt with the passphrase.

Knowing a public address allows you to send bitcoins to that address.  That's it.  Can't use it to generate a wallet.dat, or a private key, or to access bitcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: