Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:09:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: World Community Grid  (Read 1012 times)
Yossarian40 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 02:37:04 PM

First of all I'd like to state that I gain no profit from anyone joining this project. World Community Grid is a philanthropic project hosted by IBM, to which anyone can volunteer and donate freely.

With that out of the way, I'd like to introduce to you the World Community Grid.

Hello,

I've searched through the forum and found out the World Community Project is unknown in these circles. The concept is similar to mining bitcoins, only there's no profit, you "mine for good". That's why, as an honor of it's 10th anniversary, I'd like to introduce the World Community Grid to you. World Community Grid is a philanthropic initiative of IBM Corporate Citizenship, as of right now, over 600 000 volunteers and 460 business are part of the World Community Grid.

The software receives, completes, and returns small computational assignments to scientists. The combined power contributed by hundreds of thousands of volunteers has created one of the fastest virtual supercomputers on the planet, advancing scientific work by hundreds of years. If you ranked the combined computational power of the Grid, it would rank as #15 amid today's supercomputers. While having none of the disadvantages of today's supercomputers.

I myself have been an active member for over 3 years, and in my opinion it's the most amazing, free way an individual can contribute to the world. There are no hidden fees, payments or anything of the sort, all the World Community Grid does is use the unused cycle time on your computer, while you work on lightweight computer tasks (e.g. just browsing the internet). If the workload on your computer gets big, it simply pauses it's work and starts again when it's not burdening your device.

You may ask what's the point of the World Community Grid, if there are supercomputers that are built to manage such computations. The simple answer is that the time on such supercomputers is very limited, and very expensive. Every single project run by the Grid, is selected by IBM and, during the years, given free computational time which would regularly cost upwards of $60 million.
It's very difficult to summarize the 10-year history and all it's accomplishments in a single topic/article. So if the idea of helping by donating your unused computer time interests you, I'd like to invite you to read more about the project here http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/wb/viewInfoAll.do.
If you have any questions regarding the safety of the software or if it will slow down your computer (which it won't), you'll find all the answers there.

If you're interested in joining this truly awesome project, you can download the software here http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/viewRegister.do?recruiterId=763360

I'd like to inform you beforehand, that the download link is generated from my own account. Only reason I provided such a link, is because it's the quickest way to link to a direct download. I PERSONALLY GAIN NOTHING ( and I do mean NOTHING ) by bringing more people to join the project. World Community Grid is a philanthropic project, no one profits from it except from the chosen scientific projects to which the computation time is donated. Only thing I gain is the personal satisfaction from bringing more people to join this great and sadly not so well known project.

I'll be more than glad for every single person who at least gets acquainted with this project, and wish everyone who decides to join good luck.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 03:08:42 PM

actually its not that unknown around here. world community grid is how i got involved in bitcoin (bitcoin paid better XD) but there are alot of other projects that use the Boinc engine

Seti@home
Renderfarm.fi (big buck bunny makers)
BURP
milkyway@home
LHC

are to name just a few
a good place to get a full list is
http://boincstats.com/ (feel free to look me up vm1990 although i havnt used it much for the last year or so)

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 10:33:13 PM

Mine for good?  With computers?  Why not just do good?  For others?

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 08:03:01 AM

Better yet, do both.
jennifer21

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:36:09 PM

Better yet, do both.

Doing both might take more than 24 hours a day.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: