Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 05:31:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is compressed private keys not supported? Any problem?  (Read 1489 times)
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2014, 04:46:15 PM

Just have this question! Smiley

Why is compressed private keys not supported? Any problem?

~~MZ~~

etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2014, 04:49:20 PM

Just have this question! Smiley

Why is compressed private keys not supported? Any problem?

~~MZ~~

When Armory's wallet format was originally created, compressed keys didn't exist in any Bitcoin software.  I never accommodated for the possibility in the wallet format.   Since then, the wallet format has been so thoroughly tested and battle-hardened, I didn't want to mess with it to support a non-critical feature like compressed public keys. 

Finishing up a new wallet format now that will support a lot of new features, including both compressed and uncompressed keys.  Still a ways off from an official release, but it's coming.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 12:22:01 PM

This is the only thing that I'm waiting for.

In theory, this is possible right? I mean, a deterministic wallet that uses compressed keys. So I can have a watch-only wallet on my web server. (Like a game website for example.)

inf

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 12:51:19 PM

In theory, this is possible right? I mean, a deterministic wallet that uses compressed keys. So I can have a watch-only wallet on my web server. (Like a game website for example.)

It does not matter whether they are compressed or not, otherwise Armory itself would not work...
See this thread how to host a today's watch-only wallet on a webserver with PHP: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=836465.0
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 01:02:15 AM

It does not matter whether they are compressed or not, otherwise Armory itself would not work...
See this thread how to host a today's watch-only wallet on a webserver with PHP: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=836465.0

That's good to know, but I would like to use the compressed keys version of Armory or the watch-only wallet. In other words, I don't want to use any bitcoin addresses whose private keys begin with the number 5.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: