Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:08:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spoetnik warned you all - he's sicking the SEC on your ass now  (Read 2851 times)
UnicornFarts (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:11:00 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2014, 03:04:49 AM by UnicornFarts

guess the rumors were true

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/sec-sends-inquiry-letters-hundreds-bitcoin-companies-unregistered-securities/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Palmdetroit
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:35:48 AM

So target is the exchanges?

WS also hates the overstock guy....

Come-In-Behind

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:38:12 AM

Target is U.S based exchanges or those operating with U.S customers etc.
UnicornFarts (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:38:28 AM

WS?  Yeah - I think both the exchanges and people selling promises of their company / coin / technology / whatever for $$.

WOn't they have to go after the US customers?
Come-In-Behind

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:39:23 AM

WS?  Yeah - I think both the exchanges and people selling promises of their company / coin / technology / whatever for $$.

No, not coin(cryptocurrency). Only company.

Come-In-Behind

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:40:05 AM

WOn't they have to go after the US customers?

U.S customers? No, the ruling is dealing with the merchants themselves(and has been around far before Bitcoin came out.), not the customers(people using the exchange/bitcoin company).
UnicornFarts (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:40:47 AM

WS?  Yeah - I think both the exchanges and people selling promises of their company / coin / technology / whatever for $$.

So Ethereum, SuperNET, BlockNET, etc all should be untouched

Come-In-Behind

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:41:41 AM

Technically yes they should be untouched. But the exchange(especially those in the U.S), are gonna be the ones getting "touched".
UnicornFarts (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:41:52 AM

U.S customers? No, the ruling is dealing with the merchants themselves, not the customers(people using the exchange/bitcoin company)

I just don't really see how they can do anything about US people voluntarily interfacing with an overseas company
Come-In-Behind

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:44:39 AM

U.S customers? No, the ruling is dealing with the merchants themselves, not the customers(people using the exchange/bitcoin company)

I just don't really see how they can do anything about US people voluntarily interfacing with an overseas company

Well, the ruling would require all those operating within the U.S(or catering to U.S people), to get registered as a money transmitter.I'm not entirely sure what effect this would have on overseas companies/exchanges, unless theyd be required to block ip's of those from the U.S if they aren't registered as a money transmitter within all 50 states.
UnicornFarts (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:45:21 AM

Well, the ruling would require all those operating within the U.S(or catering to U.S people), to get registered as a money transmitter.I'm not entirely sure what effect this would have on overseas companies/exchanges.

good ole btc-e I guess.

they're going to be the last ones standing in this mess.
Come-In-Behind

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:46:34 AM

Well, the ruling would require all those operating within the U.S(or catering to U.S people), to get registered as a money transmitter.I'm not entirely sure what effect this would have on overseas companies/exchanges.

good ole btc-e I guess.

they're going to be the last ones standing in this mess.

Coincidentally, I actually think this ruling would serve as the basis for enormous spikes/surges in the popularity of anon coins, along with decentralized exchanges(and those centralized ones not operating within the U.S).
UnicornFarts (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 02:48:16 AM

Yep I happen to agree with you 100%. 

The more friction governments put on monetary transactions the more bearable all the downsides to crypto become in order to achieve much less friction.  More friction = worse for transparent blockchains.
Come-In-Behind

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 03:00:19 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2014, 03:10:35 AM by Come-In-Behind

If by untouched you mean "The SEC is reportedly employing researchers that track down the people and/or companies behind domains and Bitcointalk accounts associated with certain IPOs" then yes, very untouched.

"The letters are being sent out to companies performing offerings on Counterparty, Cryptostocks, companies hosting offerings with colored coins, and companies who have performed unregistered securities offerings via Bitcoin Talk. In all cases the SEC is employing a team of researchers to track down the people or companies behind each offering via forum messages, domain registration information,  transfers of funds via exchanges and other means." - https://coinfire.cf/2014/10/27/sec-begins-sending-investigation-letters/

That doesn't go for cryptocurrencies that don't offer shareholder status which exempts Ethereum's IPo/Supernets/Blocknets from the ruling.....AKA only companies/crowdfunding sites are affected.

Unregistered securities- http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/08/unregistered-securities.asp

Ethereum IPO thoughts- http://www.quora.com/What-do-securities-lawyers-think-of-the-Ethereum-Genesis-sale

Supernet/Blocket depends on the efforts of a variety of blockchains and its people(especially Blocknet since it doesnt have one core coin, but would put Supernet more in the grey area and Ethereum might be as well, but I don't believe so), not one single team. IMO, it falls in favor of cryptocurrency trading(like Bitcoin), instead of speculative investments, which wouldnt make it an unregistered security.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 03:17:24 AM

Hey i think you used my name to get people to read this LOL
well played sir.. well played Wink

interesting stuff !!!

i looked at the link and right away i see "Counterparty" mentioned as the cause ?
so staff here it is Altcoin related Wink
and before i seen this topic i seen on a chat box a picture posted of the SEC giving Ghash.io a subpoena..

FUD first & ask questions later™
Come-In-Behind

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 03:30:46 AM

That's one train wreck of a first name. You gotta dumb it down a bit because i don't understand the relationship between altcoins and ghash/cex. I thought GHASH was a mining pool and if my memory serves me correctly CEX sells mining shares?

I believe Ghash(mining pool) is owned by Cex.io(exchange), which is also a company(Cex.io).

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/CEX.IO
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 03:33:52 AM

That's one train wreck of a first name. You gotta dumb it down a bit because i don't understand the relationship between altcoins and ghash/cex. I thought GHASH was a mining pool and if my memory serves me correctly CEX sells mining shares?

click the link in the OP's comment.. it mentions on the first paragraph,

Hundreds of Bitcoin companies that have released unregistered securities on Counterparty, Cryptostocks have been sent inquiry letters by the SEC.

see how the 100 sec subpoena's may include GHASH.io too ?

edit:
And guys i have not verified any of this is true have you ?
for example that picture i posted may have been forged/fake.
i have not seen one comment anywhere mentioning this point on 3 sites.. everyone is just assuming it's true.

edit2:
EvilDave must be shittin ! LOL
Search this place for keyword "Counterparty" for additional info Wink

2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 03:42:04 AM

Bitcoin Reddit ‏@RedditBTC 9m9 minutes ago

GHash/CEX received a subpoena from the SEC as a part of their recent action http://ift.tt/1zCgm6g
jasemoney
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1008

Forget-about-it

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 03:59:25 AM

can anyone read fotoforensics?
http://fotoforensics.com/analysis.php?id=728beb64ac6bbcb9b7c8558976de7d198144c696.58417
(I've been slighly impressed with ELA analysis after the URO fud thought the dev was photoshopped into a room with business partners.**which was bullshit haha)

$MAID & $BTC other than that some short hodls and some long held garbage.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 04:09:10 AM

see how the 100 sec subpoena's may include GHASH.io too ?

You guys are making me do some homework, I had to learn what counterparty is, lol. The thread that ties all these subpoena's together are that they are all companies. The US gov is going very aggressive on this but the line seems to be drawn at companies. This will have an effect on US based companies but oversee's companies will see no ill effect except for maybe a boom in business.

hey ME TOO ! ahhah

i barely know anything about "Counterparty" (an alternative digital currency of some sort posted here)
..i heard about it and that is about it pretty much lol

edit:
Although i HAVE used Cryptostocks before.. i bought and sold Cryptsy shares on that digital stocks trading site.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: