Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:14:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First Impressions - Mining-asics-technologies.com 250 MH/s Excaliber Miner  (Read 16437 times)
lifeforcepools (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 03:56:06 PM
Last edit: October 29, 2014, 09:45:33 AM by lifeforcepools

I believe I'm probably the first person in the U.S. to receive one of MAT's (Mining-Asics-Technology.com) miners so I thought I'd post a little review.

http://www.mining-asics-technologies.com

Conventional wisdom is that you never ever Pre-order anything and I've been burnt a few times, but back in April of this year the thought of getting 1 MH of mining power for less that $40 was incredible and MAT was advertising such a machine - In fact what I pre-ordered was two of their 125 MH/s units. My fears of pre-ordering were quickly realized then their largest competitors KNC announced they were doubling the speed of their offering for the same price. MAT responded with a 2 for 1 offer so I was not as upset when I found out I'd be getting 500 MH/s of mining power instead of 250 MH/s and I was thanking KNC under my breath: LOL

To make a long story short - MAT was supposed to deliver by the end of the 3rd quarter of this year. By the way - this was a serious investment for me back in April so I did a lot of due diligence on Marc Coumans the CEO of MAT and that began by becoming friends with him on Linkedin.com and  then some of my own due diligence. Marc has had a very good business career and background and my personal feelings are that people who have good business careers are rarely scammers and Mark was not hiding his identity like scammers do and also invited a forum member to their offices - especially in light of the horror stories I read about Alpha, KNC, BFL and others to name a few). Without disclosing information that I'm privy to from conversations with Marc, there is no doubt they got off to a rough start and got led down a path by an original supplier that left them at least 6 to 8 weeks behind schedule and scrambling in mid to late July and remember they were supposed to deliver by the end of August.

In any event - 3rd quarter delivery did not happen but Marc kept in touch and let me know about the delays and although I was getting pretty frustrated toward the end of September I hung in there as Marc kept me updated on progress and sometimes lack of progress. I can always take bad news because bad news is better than no news.

In any event Marc shipped my first of two units out last Wednesday via Fedex International Priority with the hopes it would arrive by friday but it got stuck in customs clearance at JFK last Friday and not released until late friday afternoon and lo and behold - it showed up at my office in suburban Philly first thing yesterday morning. The funny part is that I checked the delivery status on the Fedex site and it said it had been delivered - WTF? - so I walk out in the lobby to find a box sitting there - LOL

Marc told me ahead of time that the unit would consume about 2,200 to 2,300 watts and suggested 3 x 850 watt PSU to allow for some headroom.

The machine has 8 hashing boards all with 8 pin connectors (of which you can just plug in the 6 pin plugs).  There's a 9th connector that is used to power the built-in controller and fans - that 9th connector draws 75 watts.

I had my wattometer and started checking each of the boards as I got the unit up and running and determined that each board which hashes at about 35 to 36 Mh/s draws about 325 watts each - so that's 8 boards at 325 watts each consuming 2,600 watts + the fan/controller plug @ 75 watts totaling 2,675 watts (I had to run back to Microcenter and purchase a 4th 850W PSU   Angry

The unit has 6 fans - 3 in front sucking air and 3 in the back blowing air out. When it's hashing the air coming out is much cooler than the air coming out of my Gaw Miners 54 MH War machine - but that's probably due to the increased air flow. I have the machine in our 'computer room' here at the office where there are lots of other servers and it's no louder than my War Machine or an Hp Proliant DL360 or DL380 but I do not see someone sticking one of these things in a small apartment - those 6 fans do make a decent amount of noise. The second unit I have coming will go into a real data center where the business I work for has spare rack space.

Now to the machine - it weighs about 45 lbs and measures about 18" deep  8" high and about 11" wide. It has an LCD display on the front that displays it's ip address and hashing rate.

You can ssh to the units to 'poke around' like I always do and get you this:

Code:
SSH Secure Shell 3.2.9 (Build 283)
Copyright (c) 2000-2003 SSH Communications Security Corp - http://www.ssh.com/

This copy of SSH Secure Shell is a non-commercial version.
This version does not include PKI and PKCS #11 functionality.

Welcome to Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-g536726d armv7l)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
Last login: Mon Oct 27 15:40:43 2014 from 192.168.1.47

The default IP address is 192.168.1.101 and it wants DHCP on first boot.

You can give it a static IP address through the MAT control panel.

Marc told me this is their first version of their controller software but it works nice and let's you setup your pool - however in this first version you can only specify ONE pool. The controller software also shows the hashing rate of each of the 8 boards and you can stop and start the mining process. I did some poking around and it's my guess since there's 2.6G free out of 3.5G on the controller chip you could probably run multiple instances of the miner and select which board to mine on if you wanted to mine multiple coins at the same time - forgive me Marc if you're reading this  - poking around is my nature.

OK - now to the good stuff - The machine consistently hashes at 280 - 290Mh/s and in my poking around I found their asic.ini file which seems to contain clock rate for all the chips on all the boards (kewl) - but I have no intentions of overclocking this beast.

snippet...

Code:
[board_06]
asic_00 = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_01 = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_02 = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_03 = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 447, "05": 511}
asic_04 = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_05 = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_06 = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_07 = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_08 = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_09 = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_0a = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_0b = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_0c = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_0d = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_0e = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_0f = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}
asic_10 = {"02": 511, "03": 511, "00": 511, "01": 511, "04": 511, "05": 511}

I've been mining on Ghash and my own pool this morning since getting it up and running and I've found when running on my NOMP based stratum that's it runs best with a fixed difficulty of 70,000 - 90,000 - it does not like vardiff.  It comes out of the chute hammering away and low vardiffs cause it to restart often until the vardiff gets really high so a very high fixed difficulty seems best.

Even though it's consuming more watts that I had anticipated I have to put that into perspective.
as a comparison and these are from actual readings of other mining computers I own

Classic Zeus Miners 24 MH/s Unit with 4 boards: 1,120 watts =46 watts Mh/s
Gaw Miners War Machine 54 MH/s : 2,100 watts = 38 watts Mh/s
ZeusMiner LIGHTNING X6 40 Mhs - 1,150 watts = 28.75 watts Mh/s

MAT - 280 MH Excaliber : 2,675 watts = 9.55 watts Mh/s

here are some pics below of my unit in action.

I hope this short review has been helpful.

ninja.mat is the MAT unit

BUY CRYPTO AT REASONABLE RATES
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 09:11:50 AM

How much did you pay per MH/s?
lifeforcepools (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 09:38:36 AM

in all honestly I can really calculate that right now because MAT is working out a deal to give people extra hash for late deliveries. I should know for sure in about 2 weeks. But I will let you know as soon as I know.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
jimmothy

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 09:47:08 AM

in all honestly I can really calculate that right now because MAT is working out a deal to give people extra hash for late deliveries. I should know for sure in about 2 weeks. But I will let you know as soon as I know.

Hopefully they don't charge you more than the actual manufacturer is charging. ($13/MH)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=825673.0

This is the second time now that MAT has pretended to be developing an ASIC and instead just bought the hardware from another company.
Zeta0S
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 10:09:01 AM
Last edit: October 29, 2014, 11:05:39 AM by Zeta0S

Looks a bit like a AlcheMiner ALCHEMIST  ??

AlcheMiner

Mat miner

My simple website: http://www.bitcoinupdate.nl/home/mining-asics-technologies-levert-eerste-miner-af

Get a HUGE 3% discount with promo code: MOON @ Genesis Mining
https://www.genesis-mining.com
lifeforcepools (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 10:26:40 AM

Hopefully they don't charge you more than the actual manufacturer is charging. ($13/MH)

This is the second time now that MAT has pretended to be developing an ASIC and instead just bought the hardware from another company.

how do you know that they did not help fund the development of the chips in that machine or potentially have part ownership of that company. It's not uncommon for a hardware manufacturer to sell the same machine under another name - the android marketplace if chock full of these examples. You are making the assumption that they are merely OEM's someone else box.

the chips have MAT's name on them - what name is on the chips in your machine - assuming that thing without fan covers is your machine and it looks like it's missing boards? what's up with that?

▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
jimmothy

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 10:43:14 AM

how do you know that they did not help fund the development of the chips in that machine or potentially have part ownership of that company. It's not uncommon for a hardware manufacturer to sell the same machine under another name - the android marketplace if chock full of these examples. You are making the assumption that they are merely OEM's someone else box.

All I know is that Alcheminer has made absolutely no mention of MAT/dreamchip. Sure they could have invested in Alcheminer like anyone else but I don't see how that would be relevant because they claimed to be designing the ASIC/hardware/software themselves. Here's the Alcheminer IPO thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=565415.0

This is looking like an exact repeat of 6 months ago with their sha-256 hardware where they pretended to be designing the ASIC themselves with dreamchip which later was revealed (by the real manufacturer) that they had no part in the design at all.

the chips have MAT's name on them - what name is on the chips in your machine - assuming that thing without fan covers is your machine and it looks like it's missing boards? what's up with that?

Can you please provide a picture of a chip with MAT's logo on it?

As for the alcheminer machine, I don't own one, but what you're looking at is only 96 MH/s so it uses ~1/3 as many boards as your machine and only requires 1/3rd as many fans/PCI-e slots.
lifeforcepools (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 10:49:32 AM

All I know is that Alcheminer has made absolutely no mention of MAT/dreamchip. Sure they could have invested in Alcheminer like anyone else but I don't see how that would be relevant because they claimed to be designing the ASIC/hardware/software themselves. Here's the Alcheminer IPO thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=565415.0

This is looking like an exact repeat of 6 months ago with their sha-256 hardware where they pretended to be designing the ASIC themselves with dreamchip which later was revealed (by the real manufacturer) that they had no part in the design at all.

Can you please provide a picture of a chip with MAT's logo on it?

As for the alcheminer machine, I don't own one, but what you're looking at is only 96 MH/s so it uses ~1/3 as many boards as your machine and only requires 1/3rd as many fans/PCI-e slots.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
jimmothy

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 11:03:04 AM

Looks like it's the same chip:

One company has to be lying about designing the chips themselves and MAT has a track record of lying/sketchiness.

I'd wait for the record to be set straight before buying from either company. (for those who haven't already)
lifeforcepools (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 11:19:13 AM

MAT has never lied to me - that's all I can day.

just as a side note - you may want to contact the person who owns that machine you posted because with the gaping unfilled holes in that case they're using the cooling of the boards in that machine has been compromised.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
Zeta0S
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 11:22:17 AM
Last edit: October 29, 2014, 11:33:20 AM by Zeta0S

MAT has never lied to me - that's all I can day.

just as a side note - you may want to contact the person who owns that machine you posted because with the gaping unfilled holes in that case they're using the cooling of the boards in that machine has been compromised.

This is the 256, looks like a exact copy, however it`s a working miner, if the customers get a comparable item, juridical i see not problems. I even think they can juridical wise even deliver you Alchemist 256Mhs. But there should be no more delays.

Picture Alchemist 256Mhs.

Can a other customer post here miners?

TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 05:10:19 PM

If nothing else, the pictured Alcheminer chip has an earlier date code Wink

There may be some hints as to the designer on the board's silkscreen - though if they allow custom badging of chips, a run with whatever silkscreen you like isn't exactly a big leap either.

Ultimately, who makes it is more interesting for investors in the respective companies than end-users.

AndrewHenson

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 06:49:54 PM

Thanks for posting,

Hopefully we will see more reports pop up as the units are being shipped.

I bought hosting for my Excaliber, I think that was a good choice looking at the four power supplies you have attached to your miner.

I joined the queue quite late so I don't expect to get it until mid November or even December...  (Not much point if its that late)

regards

Andrew

lifeforcepools (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 06:52:37 PM
Last edit: October 29, 2014, 09:54:35 PM by lifeforcepools

One company has to be lying about designing the chips themselves and MAT has a track record of lying/sketchiness.

I'd wait for the record to be set straight before buying from either company. (for those who haven't already)

so do these: LOL - they're square and black too  Grin

▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
TheRealSteve

FUN > ROI

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 07:21:17 PM

so do these: LOL
Maybe to the casual observer - but Zeus' are QFN56, the others are QFN88 Wink
But yes, obviously packages are just standard and you can't tell what's inside them without trace analysis / fuzzing / decapping.

Zeta0S
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 04:40:32 AM

decapping!!!!  Grin Grin

Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 07:10:17 AM

Hard to believe that only this late in the game are manufacturers catching up to innosilicon's efficiency. I received 150mh/s worth of A2 machines in May, 10w/MH/s at the wall.

KNC (lol) are the only ones to have beaten innosilicon at the scrypt efficiency game. My Titanic with 2 dead dies is pulling 310 MH/s at 4.3w/MH/s at the wall.
TheRealSteve

FUN > ROI

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 12:22:15 PM

decapping!!!!  Grin Grin
bitcoin miner silicon die pron, baby!
( would be interesting to see some comparisons between some of the vendors' stuff, actually.. the overall topology should be similar )

lifeforcepools (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 12:36:24 PM

Hard to believe that only this late in the game are manufacturers catching up to innosilicon's efficiency. I received 150mh/s worth of A2 machines in May, 10w/MH/s at the wall.

KNC (lol) are the only ones to have beaten innosilicon at the scrypt efficiency game. My Titanic with 2 dead dies is pulling 310 MH/s at 4.3w/MH/s at the wall.

not sure what you mean but I also own an A2 and it's : 23.53 watts per MH

your titanic is using: 13.87 watts per MH

The MAT machine is a little over 9 watts / MH

The MAT machine is the most efficient scrypt miner I know of on the market.

Smiley

▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
lifeforcepools (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 12:39:28 PM

decapping!!!!  Grin Grin
bitcoin miner silicon die pron, baby!
( would be interesting to see some comparisons between some of the vendors' stuff, actually.. the overall topology should be similar )

btw: I had a skype convo with Marc from MAT this morning - the Chips in the MAT machines are absolutely different chips than in the other machine and trust me - they are thankful that MAT exists, very happy....

warranties are quite different also.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄