Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:37:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Desktop clients - Quick comparison chart  (Read 7932 times)
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 03:40:34 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 05:05:47 PM by flatfly

I've made this chart for my own usage, but thought it might help new users navigate through the existing options for Bitcoin clients.   Note that I purposefully chose to focus on desktop-based (non web-based), open-source clients only.

If others find the chart helpful, I can update it regularly, as new versions get released. Also feel free to suggest any other criteria that would be interesting to compare in a table format. And thanks for letting me know of any mistakes.

Disclaimer: Although I have tried all the clients listed, I'm almost exclusively an Electrum user - and I make stand-alone Windows builds for it.  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drlatino999

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 03:47:17 PM

I think an additional row needs to be for Clients that require another program to run to function, i.e. how Armory for example requires the actual bitcoin-qt to be open and loaded to access the blockchain.

Sappers clear the way
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 04:33:33 PM

I think an additional row needs to be for Clients that require another program to run to function, i.e. how Armory for example requires the actual bitcoin-qt to be open and loaded to access the blockchain.

Yup, if there is a dependency, then that would be useful on the chart.

For instance, Electrum's dependency is on the Electrum servers so connectivity becomes the dependency.

Nice chart, by the way.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 04:42:30 PM

1.  it would be nice to allow ppl to vote which client they use.

2.  define "portable"

3.  Armory IS encrypted while running.

4.  Armory IS deterministic.

5.  Armory CAN import/export private keys.

6.  need category for paper one time backups.

7.  need category for "offline tx's"

8.  need category for "watching only wallets".
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 04:53:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I will first fix the incorrect information (in a few minutes), then I will start adding stuff.
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 05:12:08 PM

The Satoshi client also has the wallet encrypted while running. Import/export of private keys is possible, but not via the user interface.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 05:20:54 PM

The Satoshi client also has the wallet encrypted while running.

Sorry, I must have missed this change. Has this been fixed recently?
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 05:41:39 PM

Wallet encryption was added in 0.4.0 (though it was flawed, initially; it sometimes left traces of the unencrypted keys on disk for a while).

If you have an encrypted wallet, the encrypted keys are loaded into memory, and only decrypted when necessary (after asking for a passphrase). When using the RPC interface, you can ask to keep the passphrase cached for a while, but even then, the actual keys are not decrypted until needed.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 06:07:56 PM

OS compatibility and minimum supported OS version

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 06:22:55 PM

Hi flatfly,

That is a very handy chart for people to use when looking at the different bitcoin clients.

By 'Portable' do you mean 'Can it run from a USB drive?'
If so, you can run MultiBit off a USB drive for all of Mac/ Linux/ Windows as described here:

http://multibit.org/help_runFromUSBDrive.html

Cheers,

Jim

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 06:23:38 PM

Hi flatfly,

That is a very handy chart for people to use when looking at the different bitcoin clients.

If so, you can run MultiBit off a USB drive for all of Mac/ Linux/ Windows as described here:

Cheers,

Jim

yeah, that is cool.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 06:51:41 PM

Hi flatfly,

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim, I've updated the chart accordingly. Smiley
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 07:18:50 PM

Wallet encryption was added in 0.4.0 (though it was flawed, initially; it sometimes left traces of the unencrypted keys on disk for a while).

If you have an encrypted wallet, the encrypted keys are loaded into memory, and only decrypted when necessary (after asking for a passphrase). When using the RPC interface, you can ask to keep the passphrase cached for a while, but even then, the actual keys are not decrypted until needed.

Thanks for the info, I have updated the chart.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 07:28:36 PM

your table has to make some sort of distinction btwn "server based" and "locally held clients".

i don't know Electrum as well as i should but i believe that the generation and encryption of deterministic wallets and the holding of private keys is on the client side.  that is good.  my only concern, which might be an invalid one, is that once private local keys are decrypted a malicious server could somehow upload the keys.  someone correct me if i'm wrong.

i admittedly use and like Armory b/c of the offline tx signing which in my opinion is superior.  again, correct me if i'm wrong.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 07:46:52 PM

Isn't the satoshi client portable? I mean, if you put the client and the blockchain on the usb drive it should work without problems. You have to put in the parameters to tell it to use the blockchain on the usb drive but except that it should work...

flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 08:19:44 AM

Isn't the satoshi client portable? I mean, if you put the client and the blockchain on the usb drive it should work without problems. You have to put in the parameters to tell it to use the blockchain on the usb drive but except that it should work...

Hi, thanks, I will test this when I get a chance. I'm mostly worried about whether the performance is bearable, and initial setup duration (downloading the blockchain to a USB drive...)
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 08:27:53 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2012, 08:48:12 AM by flatfly

your table has to make some sort of distinction btwn "server based" and "locally held clients".

i don't know Electrum as well as i should but i believe that the generation and encryption of deterministic wallets and the holding of private keys is on the client side.  that is good.  my only concern, which might be an invalid one, is that once private local keys are decrypted a malicious server could somehow upload the keys.  someone correct me if i'm wrong.

i admittedly use and like Armory b/c of the offline tx signing which in my opinion is superior.  again, correct me if i'm wrong.

I've put in a mention that Electrum relies on remote servers (which are open source as well).

About the risk of a malicious server: the Stratum protocol doesn't allow for any executable code or scripts, so
"uploading the keys" is impossible IMHO. The worst thing a malicious server could do, in theory, is lie about your balance.
However, note that I'm not an expert in the Electrum technicalities, better ask ThomasV for an authoritative answer.

Also Electrum DOES support offline transactions already, but only through the command-line at this time. Armory's GUI-based support for them is clearly more intuitive IMHO.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 09:05:07 AM

i don't know Electrum as well as i should but i believe that the generation and encryption of deterministic wallets and the holding of private keys is on the client side.  that is good.  my only concern, which might be an invalid one, is that once private local keys are decrypted a malicious server could somehow upload the keys.  someone correct me if i'm wrong.

i admittedly use and like Armory b/c of the offline tx signing which in my opinion is superior.  again, correct me if i'm wrong.

I've put in a mention that Electrum relies on remote servers (which are open source as well).

About the risk of a malicious server: the Stratum protocol doesn't allow for any executable code or scripts, so
"uploading the keys" is impossible IMHO. The worst thing a malicious server could do, in theory, is lie about your balance.
However, note that I'm not an expert in the Electrum technicalities, better ask ThomasV for an authoritative answer.

Also Electrum DOES support offline transactions already, but only through the command-line at this time. Armory's GUI-based support for them is clearly more intuitive IMHO.

you are right.

There is no way a malicious Electrum server could steal your keys or passwords. The only malicious thing it can do is lie about your balance/history. There are 5 active servers at the moment, and they are identified by their domain name. As a user, you decide from which server you get that information, and you can also compare the answers of several servers if you have a doubt.

Electrum does have offline signing and watching-only wallets. However, these functions require to use the command line.

The command line options of Electrum are fairly comprehensive; they allow you to handle several wallets, and they give you full control on the transaction (choosing the change address, sending from an address)

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 01:54:27 PM

Electrum does have ... watching-only wallets.

BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 03:05:24 PM

Nice chart!

I will link to it from http://lovebitcoins.org/getStarted.html

my table is really meant to get people started quickly with mobile wallets. But the desktop wallets are important too.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 03:15:25 PM

Nice chart!

my table is really meant to get people started quickly with mobile wallets. But the desktop wallets are important too.

Nice chart too!

Personally, I would move Spinner to beginner along with Bitcoin client.  I would move Bitcoin wallet to intermediate.  Blockchaininfo should be removed

its a really intimidating chart otherwise.  But its also truly how I feel.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 03:49:37 PM

Nice chart!

Thanks, glad that you like it!
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 07:20:20 AM

Nice chart. How about adding Operating System to it? Also, how about a row for mobile support too.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 11:03:55 AM

How about adding Operating System to it?

+1 That would be nice.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 11:26:47 AM
Last edit: May 28, 2012, 12:03:30 PM by flatfly

Nice chart. How about adding Operating System to it? Also, how about a row for mobile support too.

Actually, I'm hesitant to add a row for OS support because I'm trying to focus on key differentiators, and as far as I can tell, the 4 clients in the chart do support all major OSes (Windows, MacOSX, Linux) - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regarding mobile support: Perhaps a separate chart for mobile clients would work best - I'll think about making one too, as time permits...

I would like this table to stay focused on desktop clients and remain as uncluttered as possible so it can be easy and quick to read for new users.
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 11:46:53 AM

Armory and Electrum are Windows / Linux only AFAIK.
Nunud

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 01:58:28 PM

+1...

An OS row is needed IMHO...
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 02:24:04 PM

Armory is also Mac

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=73648.0
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 03:31:58 PM

Armory is also Mac

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=73648.0

Actually Mac support appears to be quite shaky and there are no official binaries available yet.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 03:33:36 PM

+1...

An OS row is needed IMHO...

OK, due to popular demand, I've just added such a row. Smiley
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 03:37:43 PM

Regarding the "local blockchain validation", there are acually three levels:
  • Do all validation on a trusted server ("lightweight mode"): Electrum
  • Trust the longest chain, but do not validate it ("SPV mode"): MultiBit
  • Fully validate the chain ("full mode"): Satoshi (and indirectly, Armory)

This may be too detailed for the audience you aim at, but it's not entirely correct to claim that MultiBit does local chain validation.

Also, key import/export in the Satoshi code probably needs a +/-, as you need the command-line instead of Bitcoin-Qt for this.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 04:27:16 PM

Regarding the "local blockchain validation", there are acually three levels:
  • Do all validation on a trusted server ("lightweight mode"): Electrum
  • Trust the longest chain, but do not validate it ("SPV mode"): MultiBit
  • Fully validate the chain ("full mode"): Satoshi (and indirectly, Armory)

This may be too detailed for the audience you aim at, but it's not entirely correct to claim that MultiBit does local chain validation.

Also, key import/export in the Satoshi code probably needs a +/-, as you need the command-line instead of Bitcoin-Qt for this.

Indeed, I wouldn't want this chart to get too technical, but I have updated it based on your feedback.
Thanks!
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 07:06:01 PM

I like the convention of the 'ying and yang' circles where the user has to drop to the command line or be more techie to do it.

If it is on the UI with explanations and buttons and everything it is a tick.
The moment the user has to read a FAQ and enter some command line options: you just lost 90% of people.

In automotive speak the command line is the equivalent of saying:
"Just remove the HT leads, take out the spark plugs and check the spark gap with a feeler gauge".

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 07:08:14 PM

Neat chart. What do the represent?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 07:21:28 PM

in your table, change "Portable" to "Portable-run from USB stick".
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 11:41:53 AM
Last edit: May 29, 2012, 12:30:10 PM by flatfly

Neat chart. What do the represent?

Thanks! In the chart, this symbol simply means 'feature supported, but...' . Hover the mouse pointer over it to show some brief additional information.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 06:31:28 PM

Slightly updated the chart CSS layout to fix a display issue with older IE versions.
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 12:45:10 PM

The fastest will be Electrum, as the blockchain is stored on the server and not stored locally.

Next fastest is MultiBit as it downloads all the block data but filters out all the none wallet-related transactions and only stores the block headers.

Bitcoin-Qt and Armory take the same time. Armory currently relies on Bitcoin-Qt for the blockchain data.

Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 12:54:33 PM

Next fastest is MultiBit as it downloads all the block data but filters out all the none wallet-related transactions and only stores the block headers.

TY for that... I always felt like I was missing something about these 'medium weight' clients. The way you worded it, and perhaps my current frame of mind, made it click just right.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 03:27:21 PM

The fastest will be Electrum, as the blockchain is stored on the server and not stored locally.

Bitcoin-Qt and Armory take the same time. Armory currently relies on Bitcoin-Qt for the blockchain data.

nice summary Jim
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 04:18:29 PM

A chart like this could be on bitcoin.org.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 11:59:36 AM

Added a new row for RAM requirements and updated various data to reflect latest releases.

flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 12:52:05 PM

Just a quick update to point out that the URL has changed to http://dre.redmartian.org/compare.htm - This new host should prove more robust.
bitminer9

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 08:52:44 PM

I just found this today when searching for alt clients.  Very helpful  Cool
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:53:01 PM

I just found this today when searching for alt clients.  Very helpful  Cool

Thanks, glad you like it Smiley
World

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 08:01:33 PM

the Electrum desktop is very fast

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 04:00:38 PM

Updated to reflect latest versions of all clients.
Seal
Donator

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 02:28:40 AM

Good work. Have you spoken to the weusecoins people? Get them to link to you.

flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 02:17:21 PM

Good idea! I will check with them (as soon as I have some free time, the next few days
are going to be hectic).
World

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:33:37 PM

flatfly,what about to save comparison chart also here?
http://socialcompare.com
for example:
http://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/alternative-currencies-monetary-systems

Seal
Donator

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 11:57:42 PM

Good idea! I will check with them (as soon as I have some free time, the next few days
are going to be hectic).

Yeah they already have a page with some suggested clients on it but its nowhere near as neat and concise as your table.

dr_nix

Activity: 26

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 07:16:55 AM

Nice chart!

Maybe it's also an idea to mention the security model the clients use?
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:57:30 AM

Regarding mobile support: Perhaps a separate chart for mobile clients would work best - I'll think about making one too, as time permits...

I would like this table to stay focused on desktop clients and remain as uncluttered as possible so it can be easy and quick to read for new users.
The difference between mobile and desktop computers is really blurry these days, and I don't think it makes much sense to make a hard separation. If I can add a keyboard and a monitor to my phone is it then a desktop computer?
As an end-user I would be interested in comparing the wallets that are available for the OS that my computers are running. So first I would look up the platform: Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, .... Within that column I would look up the version I am running (Android 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, ...)
In the end I am not likely to install a different OS on my computer to get the wallet I want. I'd like to choose among the wallets available to the OS I am running on my various devices.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 05:28:59 PM

you are right.

There is no way a malicious Electrum server could steal your keys or passwords. The only malicious thing it can do is lie about your balance/history. There are 5 active servers at the moment, and they are identified by their domain name. As a user, you decide from which server you get that information, and you can also compare the answers of several servers if you have a doubt.

Electrum does have offline signing and watching-only wallets. However, these functions require to use the command line.

The command line options of Electrum are fairly comprehensive; they allow you to handle several wallets, and they give you full control on the transaction (choosing the change address, sending from an address)

Thomas, i have no reason to doubt your integrity as Electrum appears to be working for everybody quite well.  But i have to play devil's advocate and ask what is preventing you from inserting malicious code on the server end or into the client at some point in the future to allow you to upload private keys from the offline wallets once they are decrypted?
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2012, 06:43:18 PM

Thomas, i have no reason to doubt your integrity as Electrum appears to be working for everybody quite well.  But i have to play devil's advocate and ask what is preventing you from inserting malicious code on the server end or into the client at some point in the future to allow you to upload private keys from the offline wallets once they are decrypted?

The community.
The Electrum source code is open, and any change is being scrutinized by several developers. A malicious modification would be immediately detected by other developers.
This security model is the same for the official Bitcoin client, btw.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:04:41 PM

Updated the chart as there's been a few nice changes in the meantime... (Multibit encryption, portable Electrum download, etc)
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 07:23:02 PM

Hi Flatfly,

Thanks for keeping this chart up to date.

MultiBit 0.5.9 now uses a different blockstore which is smaller and it does not need a file with all the block headers in. (It has a checkpoint file instead). This makes the installer smaller.

The largest installer is the Windows one which is now 10.6 MB.

The storage requirements on disk have dropped too. The app on my Mac is 10.9 MB and the user data directory (with just one small wallet in) is just 3 MB. The wallets aren't very big so if you double that to 30 MB for the app and user data directory that would be enough for most people.

The RAM data requirements are the same. I just checked a running process and it was using 140 MB real (340 MB virtual) so the current 256 MB RAM you have is a realistic minimum.

flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:19:34 PM

Hi Flatfly,

Thanks for keeping this chart up to date.

MultiBit 0.5.9 now uses a different blockstore which is smaller and it does not need a file with all the block headers in. (It has a checkpoint file instead). This makes the installer smaller.

The largest installer is the Windows one which is now 10.6 MB.

The storage requirements on disk have dropped too. The app on my Mac is 10.9 MB and the user data directory (with just one small wallet in) is just 3 MB. The wallets aren't very big so if you double that to 30 MB for the app and user data directory that would be enough for most people.

The RAM data requirements are the same. I just checked a running process and it was using 140 MB real (340 MB virtual) so the current 256 MB RAM you have is a realistic minimum.

Hi Jim, thanks for the info. I will update the chart accordingly (tomorrow, as I need to get going right now....)

lunarboy

Activity: 544

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:02:21 PM

Damn I wish I'd found this tread a week ago, would have saved me a pile of research.

Great work sir !
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 09:19:56 AM

And another (long overdue) update.
Added rows for Coin Control and Offline Transactions.

http://dre.natverk.org/compare.htm
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: