Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:19:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCChina - Highest trading volume ever today  (Read 14168 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 03:47:48 AM

all seemed to start from memorydealers recent presentation in China, this new 10 times previous normal volumes is probably the second wave of awareness & opportunity interest spreading out from that, exponentially hopefully

Has anyone run the analysis to figure out if BTC moving through this market participant has an average level of taint?  I mean, another thing which happened fairly recently is that a decent size haul was made at the expense of Bitcoinica after all.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 04:05:58 AM

all seemed to start from memorydealers recent presentation in China, this new 10 times previous normal volumes is probably the second wave of awareness & opportunity interest spreading out from that, exponentially hopefully

Has anyone run the analysis to figure out if BTC moving through this market participant has an average level of taint?  I mean, another thing which happened fairly recently is that a decent size haul was made at the expense of Bitcoinica after all.

The implication being that... someone stole a bunch of coins and then bought more coins on a chinese exchange?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 04:12:54 AM

The implication being that... someone stole a bunch of coins and then bought more coins on a chinese exchange?

lol Smiley

aka with prices going way up beyond the US prices, this was not cheap coins dumped.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 05:06:06 AM

Very interesting going-on. I wonder if this mean that the price of bitcoin in USD will break out too?

Or is the BTChina just an anomalous price that will no doubt get a correction?

ThePok

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 05:19:27 AM

Hrhr, there are now nearly no ask any more!

They sucked up all Bitcoins that were offered it seems.

The Chinese want more Bitcoin Grin

What an arbitageoportunity Smiley Hope someone can use it Smiley
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 05:24:49 AM

The Chinese government can buy 1 million btc with $5 million, and then demand the U.S. use bitcoin for all the stuff they buy.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 05:28:48 AM

Well, umm, ya.  Most market theories assume due to the definition of a 'transaction', there is a buyer for every seller, and a seller for every buyer. FWIW.  I'm not up-to-speed on the Libertarian economic theories so they may differ.  Not sure.

Also, an utterly swell way to avoid potential taint problem is to mix things up in an exchange where there are a lot of honest actors.  Or at least that is what I would be my line of thinking were I a thief.  I happened to be quite active on Tradehill when there was a pretty strong suspicion that the former 'allinvain' coin was tossing around.  I expect that my cold-store wallets are somewhat more warm with these.  People who took BTC straight from Tradehill to Mt. Gox at around the time I was a heavy buyer got harassed until they explained to Mark the situation.  The cool thing was that whoever was unloading the coin was willing to do so at a noticeable loss...which also rung a bell when I read this thread about the BTCChina goings on.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 06:31:50 AM

I'm guessing it would be hard to arbitrage this because the chinese currency cannot easily be moved to gox?

So in essence, this wont pull the other markets up much, right?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 06:35:51 AM

weird: can't seem to find "btcchina.com" exchange on bitcoincharts.com. where is it?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
freespirit

Activity: 183

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 06:36:51 AM

I'm guessing it would be hard to arbitrage this because the chinese currency cannot easily be moved to gox?
If you are determined enough I guess you could fly over to HK or Russia (or any other jurisdiction where banks open accounts in CNY), open a CNY and USD accounts at a bank there and convert CNY<->USD as needed Wink
Not sure if any exchange restrictions apply but certainly CNY bank accounts are available in at least two jurisdictions mentioned above.
freespirit

Activity: 183

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 06:39:27 AM

weird: can't seem to find "btcchina.com" exchange on bitcoincharts.com. where is it?
Look for btcnCNY
http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/btcnCNY.html
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 06:58:46 AM

Could we be seeing tremors of BTC being used to route around the pegged USDCNY?
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 07:04:28 AM

Could we be seeing tremors of BTC being used to route around the pegged USDCNY?

CNY is not actually pegged directly to the USD - HKD is which is why they are now worth a fair bit *less* than CNY.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 07:17:28 AM

well done !

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 07:17:52 AM

So in essence, this wont pull the other markets up much, right?

The mere fact that the two  charts I put up already comparing gox to china are moving in lockstep is evidence enough that there should be no arbitrage barriers between the two.

Goxusd "should" move up in lockstep and soon.
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 08:02:01 AM

Get ready for chinese bubble in 3.. 2..
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 08:50:39 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2012, 09:46:32 AM by cypherdoc

Has anyone run the analysis to figure out if BTC moving through this market participant has an average level of taint?  I mean, another thing which happened fairly recently is that a decent size haul was made at the expense of Bitcoinica after all.

Well, umm, ya.  Most market theories assume due to the definition of a 'transaction', there is a buyer for every seller, and a seller for every buyer. FWIW.  I'm not up-to-speed on the Libertarian economic theories so they may differ.  Not sure.

Also, an utterly swell way to avoid potential taint problem is to mix things up in an exchange where there are a lot of honest actors.  Or at least that is what I would be my line of thinking were I a thief.  I happened to be quite active on Tradehill when there was a pretty strong suspicion that the former 'allinvain' coin was tossing around.  I expect that my cold-store wallets are somewhat more warm with these.  People who took BTC straight from Tradehill to Mt. Gox at around the time I was a heavy buyer got harassed until they explained to Mark the situation.  The cool thing was that whoever was unloading the coin was willing to do so at a noticeable loss...which also rung a bell when I read this thread about the BTCChina goings on.

this theory makes no sense whatsoever.

1.  your own theory assumes that the ultimate goal of the thief is to "sell" btc's.
2.  "mixing" them with untainted coins is nonsensical.  
3.  first, odds are the hacker is not Chinese thus he would have to get a hold of CNY to do the buying.  that's hard and involves exchange fees.  even if he was Chinese it still makes no sense to buy up nontainted coins since it essentially triples the work.
4.  second, btcchina is less liquid than gox so the large rapid buying that has been done is highly inefficient in obtaining a good buy price and would only serve to erode his eventual selling profits.
5.  this theory also assumes that the hacker is wealthy enough to buy the almost 11,000 extra btc's that have gone off for mixing purposes only.  that is also highly unlikely.
6.  now he has to sell an even bigger load of btc's to cash out
7.  it would be better and easier to break them up into alot of smaller chunks and move them out several addresses down the line before selling them slowly at exchanges around the world which is what i understand he has already done.
8.  Mark is the only one i am aware of who has held up supposed "tainted" coins only one address away from the Bitcoinica stolen addresses.  and even these he has let thru eventually.  thus, if anything, the hacker should've "sold" those coins on btcchina or a different exchange driving down the price just like they did at Tradehill.
9.  therefore, the simplest explanation is the one that usually wins out; that of the Memory Dealers presentation stimulating the buying spree from pent up demand from existing btc holders who already had CNY at btcchina.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 08:55:11 AM

China may stimulate the bitcoin economy the same way Australia is having a once in a hundred year mining boom because of China.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 09:02:25 AM

Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 09:35:23 AM

This seems like a very big deal. I wonder if it is direct interest in Bitcoin or someone figuring out how to get a different flavor of funny money for their ChinaBux.

Exactly, even at these relatively high price levels they're paying less than for example going from CNY to LR.

The banking system here never realized that the cold war ended Sad

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█