Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:03:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NameCoins: Help a newbie  (Read 1148 times)
bangers (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 05:34:08 PM

Hi

I've been looking at namecoins for the first time. I'd like to register some .bit urls and would just like to know the best way to do this.

I can see that I can just purchase and park my desired urls at http://register.dot-bit.org/ for 1.5BTC per url but would like to know what my other options are.

I have no interest in mining namecoins myself but can see that i could purchase some at https://exchange.bitparking.com/main. If i were to purchase some, what then? I have no need for hosting at the moment so could I just register my desired names, store them and register them as .bit domains at a later date? If I were to do this I assume it is then my responsibility to renew those names myself making the dot-bit.org option more appealing. If I were to store them myself, however, what is the best way of doing so and how do I turn them into .bit domains if and when I want to.

That's about it I think but any other pointers for the uninitiated would be most welcome.

Many thank

Bangers

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyM

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 08:34:53 PM

http://dot-bit.org/HowToRegisterAndConfigureBitDomains
khal

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 09:01:40 PM

Hi bangers.

Indeed, if you register your names with namecoin, you'll need to renew names youself.
You'll also need to have a hosting that allows you to add a .bit.

To transform a registered name into a valid .bit domain, you only need to put a valid json value (you can do it at registration time or later with an update).
bangers (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 10:29:12 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2012, 11:55:10 AM by bangers

Thanks chaps

Khal. Just a couple more questions if I may.

1. If I purchase namecoins I assume I store them and any "special coins" with my registered domains in a standard (separate) bitcoin wallet (local or online)?
2. If i choose to manage my own names, what is the window of opportunity to renew names when the expiration block approaches? Is there always going to be a period, however small, that your names are up for grabs? Does the existing software allow you to automate renewals?

I've just noticed that ur the administrator on the namecoin forum. Hopefully these questions aren't too stoopid and may help improve the existing documentation for the less tech savvy types like me

cheers

bangers

Update:

Ah, just realised i strore my namecoins with the namecoin software. Just having trouble installing it on windows!!
archetyp

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 11:18:09 AM

thanks!
khal

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 02:06:20 PM

1. If I purchase namecoins I assume I store them and any "special coins" with my registered domains in a standard (separate) bitcoin wallet (local or online)?
Ah, just realised i strore my namecoins with the namecoin software. Just having trouble installing it on windows!!
You only need you namecoin wallet to be able to manage your namecoins and your domains. Domain name data is stored in the transactions, in the blockchain and your wallet gives you control on this (same as bitcoin, except there is additional data in tx).

2. If i choose to manage my own names, what is the window of opportunity to renew names when the expiration block approaches? Is there always going to be a period, however small, that your names are up for grabs? Does the existing software allow you to automate renewals?
Your names will expire after 36'000 blocks (~250 days) after the last update (name_update command). So, you have 36k blocks to update them. You are the only owner until it reaches 0 block left.
If you let them expire, you must register you domain again (name_new and name_firstupdate), before anybody else do it.
There is no automatic update, but there is a python script that can help you : http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=495.

I've just noticed that ur the administrator on the namecoin forum. Hopefully these questions aren't too stoopid and may help improve the existing documentation for the less tech savvy types like me
I'll complete the FAQ if needed :p
bangers (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 02:25:14 PM

Thanks again khal.

That all makes sense but have hit a wall installing the software on windows. Saved my bitcoin.conf file then ran namecoind.exe again. It seemed to be running when I checked in task manager but nothing. Never got the "bitcoin server starting" message.
khal

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 02:48:17 PM

Did you follow this : http://dot-bit.org/InstallAndConfigureNamecoin ?

If you are on windows, this message will not appear and you need to open a second terminal to type commands.
bangers (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 03:06:42 PM

Ah. My mistake. Cool. I have the correct number of blocks, a zero balance and an address. Woohoo! It is idiot proof after all! Sorry. I'm not a regular command prompt user. I think I was expecting a GUI once it had installed. I'll get my coins and will hopefully be ok registering my names.

Right. Last question (for now). What else should I do to make sure my coins are secure?
khal

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 09:44:22 PM

Right. Last question (for now). What else should I do to make sure my coins are secure?
Same as bitcoin. Backup your wallet (namecoind.exe backupwallet <filename>) from time to time and keep it on a safe place. Secure your computer, do not run programs named "nuked-pictures.exe", etc Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: