Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:38:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Namecoin v3.50 : faster & better  (Read 6277 times)
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 12:22:56 PM

Can somebody make a namecoind windows binary??

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
datafish
Donator

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

Swimming in a sea of data

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 03:13:47 PM

Whatever happened to that dude who came along with an alternative distributed DNS scheme, the guy who posted a link to his white paper in the forum here.  Did he merge efforts with yours or strike out alone?
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 03:17:46 PM

Whatever happened to that dude who came along with an alternative distributed DNS scheme, the guy who posted a link to his white paper in the forum here.  Did he merge efforts with yours or strike out alone?
That would be forum username "pent", but he seems to have been caught up in a stupid ponzi scheme, and I for that reason am not taking him seriously anymore.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Bitinvestor

Activity: 470

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 03:45:46 PM

Nope, according to https://github.com/khalahan/namecoin building is only supported on Linux for now.

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
Bitinvestor

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 03:49:27 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2012, 04:14:50 PM by Bitinvestor

4. Use the command below to send me 2NMC :
Code:
namecoind sendtoalias khal 2
The coins will be sent to my namecoin address N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9.

I did that and here's what I get:
error: {"code":-1,"message":"value is type str, expected real"}

My bad, it works! How can I create an alias?

khal (OP)

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 06:14:55 PM

Thanks for the donation of 1NMC Cheesy. Hope to send them back soon :p

You must register an alias prefixed with "id/" in namecoin.

Here is mine to give you an idea :
Code:
namecoind name_show id/khal
{
    "name" : "id/khal",
    "value" : "{ \"email\" : \"khal@dot-bit.org\", \"bitcoin\" : \"1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T\", \"namecoin\" : \"N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9\" }"
}

Fake example of registration :
Code:
namecoind name_new id/bitinvestor
[
    "045637420d7820779426b3a9da847253070e9b51ffc6dc8bfd46fd7cf9bdf529",
    "94086936402036f000"
]

namecoind name_firstupdate id/bitinvestor 94086936402036f000 045637420d7820779426b3a9da847253070e9b51ffc6dc8bfd46fd7cf9bdf529 "{ \"email\" : \"khal@dot-bit.org\", \"bitcoin\" : \"1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T\", \"namecoin\" : \"N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9\" }"

To be sure you put a valid json "value", copy/paste the value here :
http://dot-bit.org/tools/domainCheck.php

ps : don't use more than 520 characters to avoid a bug that will be solved soon.
khal (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 06:18:31 PM

Nope, according to https://github.com/khalahan/namecoin building is only supported on Linux for now.

Nop, building on mac and windows is possible (I should correct this old README...).
We just need someone able to do it on latest release Smiley (you can still use latest available version for windows on http://dot-bit.org, but the new commands won't be available)
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 07:02:03 PM

Namecoin does not hide server location, Tor .onion service does.

Namecoin does not hide visitor location, Tor does.

Namecoin needs separate DNS configuration, Tor .onion addresses works ouf-of-box, at least for Tor bundle.

Namecoin needs constant mining, Tor does not need.

Namecoin is secure from takeover, Tor .onion addresses also are secure.

Namecoin is interesting experiment and proof-of-concept, but there are better solutions. .onion FTW!

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
khal (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 08:21:17 PM

Do you know bitcoin and namecoin can go through tor : https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tor#bitcoind ? I'm sure you knew it.

Namecoin needs separate DNS configuration, Tor .onion addresses works ouf-of-box, at least for Tor bundle.
So, are people forced to use unreadable and unmemorable addresses because it works out of the box ? Should they stay like that forever ? Namecoin couldn't be integrated in tor bundle if they want that ? People can't install namecoin if they want ?
I don't understand the problem with giving more possibilities.

Namecoin is interesting experiment and proof-of-concept, but there are better solutions. .onion FTW!
Namecoin is THE solution, really. All other solutions are really shit ! If Tor people didn't add namecoin into tor they are stupid. Do i need to put a smiley ?
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 08:29:39 PM

Do you know bitcoin and namecoin can go through tor : https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tor#bitcoind ? I'm sure you knew it.

So, are people forced to use unreadable and unmemorable addresses because it works out of the box ? Should they stay like that forever ? Namecoin couldn't be integrated in tor bundle if they want that ? People can't install namecoin if they want ?
I don't understand the problem with giving more possibilities.

Namecoin is THE solution, really. All other solutions are really shit ! If Tor people didn't add namecoin into tor they are stupid. Do i need to put a smiley ?

+10

Namecoin can make Tor URLs more "human-like"... They complement each other...
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 07:04:58 AM

Wow, I thought it was mostly dead. Glad to see Namecoin still being worked on.
[...]
actually a lot has been going on lately...
sub
khal (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 07:48:23 AM

Thanks for the donation of 1NMC Cheesy. Hope to send them back soon :p
Sent :
Code:
namecoind sendtoalias bitinvestor 1

You should have received the coins at the registered address Smiley
Bitinvestor

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:36:52 PM

I have received the coins, thanks! Registering an alias is more complicated and error-prone than it needs to be. There should be a createalias() function that asks a few questions and then performs the necessary steps. What happens behind the scenes when one calls name_firstupdate? It took a while for name_show to actually show the alias.

If Tor people didn't add namecoin into tor they are stupid. Do i need to put a smiley ?

No need for a smiley but why don't you add Tor into Namecoin? Governments and big companies like Google and Facebook love to spy on us in order to control us and to sell our data to advertisers. Any alternative to the mainstream Internet should be encrypted by default and this includes Namecoin.

Cryptoman

Activity: 726

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 02:27:37 AM

Have you ever tried to access or implement a high-bandwidth site as a Tor hidden service?  Many times a site will be legal and free from interference in most of the world, but you need something like Namecoin to make it universally accessible. 

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 06:42:30 AM

.... but why don't you add Tor into Namecoin?

eh?, what does this even mean?

Bitinvestor

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 07:05:56 AM

.... but why don't you add Tor into Namecoin?

eh?, what does this even mean?

Sorry if it doesn't make any sense, I'm still learning about Namecoin and I've never used Tor. As I understand it, when you browse .bit sites you can still be tracked and everything is unencrypted, just like on the ordinary Internet, correct?

Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 07:22:43 AM

when you browse .bit sites you can still be tracked and everything is unencrypted
Correct.

namecoin is just another DNS system. Advantages of .bit are: domain cannot be stolen by government agency, they are cheaper than ussual domain names.
However, .bit domains can be also used to browse websites on darknet like tor. So instead of writing <long string of random letters>.onion, you just type hidden-website.bit

There is possibility tu run namecoin itself via tor, but it is not needed.
When it comes to mining, since invention of merged mining, most hashing power comes from bitcoin miners anyway... so there is no need to mine for ordinary users.
khal (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 10:30:03 AM

I have received the coins, thanks! Registering an alias is more complicated and error-prone than it needs to be. There should be a createalias() function that asks a few questions and then performs the necessary steps. What happens behind the scenes when one calls name_firstupdate? It took a while for name_show to actually show the alias.
A GUI would be interesting, indeed, to allow easy registration of domains, alias, etc.

A name_firstupdate reveals the name you are registering, a name_new doesn't.
So, normal process is name_new, wait 12 blocks (the network will wait before accepting a name_firstupdate), the name_firstupdate is accepted.

If you launch the name_firstupdate just after the name_new (0 confirmation), someone could see the name you want to register and do the same (name_new + name_firstupdate.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 10:38:30 AM

namecoin is just another DNS system.

This is a common misconception also it seems, and wrong in several ways.

By running a local Namecoin process you hold a complete database of .bit sites locally (as in right there on your hard-drive) so never have to send DNS traffic out over the internet (where it can be easily monitored by ISP, etc) to look-up the IP addresses of the sites you need/want to get to.

In this way XXXX.onion addresses that have ".bit" look-up locally can be found without having to tell the whole world you are browsing to XXX.onion.

It is a true decentralised DNS that allows for fully-autonomous domain name look-up, if you set it up right .... and therefore, absolutely not "just another DNS system."  No other DNS system comes close to this amount of privacy (for the user) feature.

Bitinvestor

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 11:54:47 AM

Excellent, thanks for your explanations Deafboy and marcus_of_augustus. I'm going to install Tor and try this for myself.

A GUI would be interesting, indeed, to allow easy registration of domains, alias, etc.

A GUI would be nice, but I was thinking of a simple function that would work something like this:

Please enter the name of the alias: bitinvestor
Do you want to add a Bitcoin address (y/n): y
Please enter the address: 12GDjkEWCK7DY6316igF9omUQPtxQ5jd5V
Do you want to add a Namecoin address (y/n): y
Please enter the address: NDqxkdTDCJtGE2WZg2HBcpMU7XPDWt4LXQ
Do you want to add an e-mail address (y/n): n
Do you want to add a phone number (y/n): n
The cost will be 0.1 NMC. Do you want to create the alias (y/n): y
The alias has been created and can be accessed in 12 blocks.

This would be sufficient for most people and if somebody needs to put something else in there then he can do it manually.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: