Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 04:22:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to spend and replenish but it doesn't make any sense  (Read 1896 times)
yenom (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 10:12:44 PM

I love bitcoin and have a loaded wallet on my smartphone ready to spend, but it doesn't make any economic sense to spend it.

For example

I bought a new headset today in UK and was quoted £55.97 for it. The bitcoin price at the checkout was 0.2539 BTC. If I spent the BTC and replenished I would have been charged 58.91 for it (+5%), and localbitcoins best offer was £59.40 (+6%)

I paid by debit card, despite me loving the tech, I'm not going to pay a 5-6% tax on every purchase using bitcoin. Sad
AlexSm

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 10:13:59 PM

Hoard with the rest of us greedy bastards
bitcoinbot

Activity: 357
Merit: 130

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 11:16:25 PM

Use Circle and avoid lbc hefty markup.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 12:53:16 AM

You're using a service that is notorious for ripping people off with outrageously overpriced coins and complaining that the concept of replenishing doesn't work?

I don't follow that logic.

Use a service where you get your coins at market value.  Obviously.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
H.W.Z

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 01:49:20 AM

It is common sense. If I were you, I wouldn't spent bitcon. I have to say charging 5% markup for bitcoin payment is big amount.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2014, 09:00:13 AM

I love bitcoin and have a loaded wallet on my smartphone ready to spend, but it doesn't make any economic sense to spend it.

For example

I bought a new headset today in UK and was quoted £55.97 for it. The bitcoin price at the checkout was 0.2539 BTC. If I spent the BTC and replenished I would have been charged 58.91 for it (+5%), and localbitcoins best offer was £59.40 (+6%)

I paid by debit card, despite me loving the tech, I'm not going to pay a 5-6% tax on every purchase using bitcoin. Sad

Now is not the time to spend, now is the time to buy coins you can spend when the price is higher.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2014, 09:03:08 AM

With localbitcoins you are paying extra for someone to go through the effort of exchanging your money.

Buy through an exchange and avoid the 5-6%.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
bumpk1nK

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 09:18:01 AM

I spending the Bitcoins I earned. Without the shop offering Bitcoin discount, I dont see how buying Bitcoins right before the purchase can be economical.

dc98wdHhcjkwleHUnBce8gd87teibN9ys38y3uTgsHG02e9-ok my keyboard works!
Insurance is a ripoff.
TinaK

Activity: 1106
Merit: 527

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 09:40:10 AM

The people who accept Bitcoin payments and then charge high fees is abominable
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2014, 10:57:28 AM

You need to search for better deals, granted there won't be many out there yet, especially for some things, but I've noticed there are stores out there that do 10% off offers if you buy with Bitcoin rather than fiat currencies.
Skoupi

Activity: 252

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 11:03:13 AM

That's why you should buy from vendors that are giving discounts for buying with btc... It's the vendors that have the biggest incentives to push customers to bitcoin instead of cc and pp.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2014, 11:54:29 AM

If you are paying for retail services that obviously translate into a loss. Unless you compare it with cross border transactions

Coinshot

Activity: 521
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 02:37:58 PM

Thats what I am doing. Never spent even a tiny amount. Collecting and buying as much as possible.

I do not think it will ever be a successful currency, but will rather be a store of value.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Sefton

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 02:44:22 PM

Ha, exactly what I was going to say. Hold your coins for a bit and spend when they've risen in value then you wont have this problem.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 02:48:33 PM

I love bitcoin and have a loaded wallet on my smartphone ready to spend,
Sounds very dangerous to me.
Never put more than pocket change on your hot wallets!

Pocket change is for everybody different, but I would say 1BTC is more than enough for most things.
yenom (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 11:55:15 AM

Sounds very dangerous to me.
Never put more than pocket change on your hot wallets!

Pocket change is for everybody different, but I would say 1BTC is more than enough for most things.

Yeah I only have 1BTC on there, the rest is in cold storage. I view smartphone BTC in the same way as "cash in my pocket".

You're using a service that is notorious for ripping people off with outrageously overpriced coins and complaining that the concept of replenishing doesn't work?

Use a service where you get your coins at market value.  Obviously.

Such as? Pretty unhelpful aggressive comment. I'm in UK and I await your recommendation for an economical way of replenishing (not holding my breath).

Cheesy I have been doing this and bought a few computer components with BTC, and I went to buy some more components with BTC and then stopped myself because of the 5-6% premium for using BTC. The UK has a very efficient payments system created by the banks, so the incentive to use BTC here is less than it is in the US. I can transfer money between accounts here for no fees, pretty much instantly, even between different UK banks. I will continue to invest a small amount per month in BTC and just hold it until the incentives change (if they ever do).
FattyMcButterpants

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 07:15:18 PM

Use a service where you get your coins at market value.  Obviously.

Such as? Pretty unhelpful aggressive comment. I'm in UK and I await your recommendation for an economical way of replenishing (not holding my breath).
Coinbase recently expanded to many European countries and I am pretty sure that the UK was one of them. In the US they generally have a spread of ~1% so you would pay an effective trading fee of 0.5% which is competitive with most exchanges (I would assume they would charge a similar amount to UK customers).

I believe they actually, (at least at one point) offered a service when a customer could pay for something using bitcoin and have coinbase automatically purchase a similar amount to replenish their total bitcoin holdings.
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 07:22:11 PM

Coinbase recently expanded to many European countries and I am pretty sure that the UK was one of them. In the US they generally have a spread of ~1% so you would pay an effective trading fee of 0.5% which is competitive with most exchanges (I would assume they would charge a similar amount to UK customers).

I believe they actually, (at least at one point) offered a service when a customer could pay for something using bitcoin and have coinbase automatically purchase a similar amount to replenish their total bitcoin holdings.

But why i have to go trought all this complicated passages if I have no economic advantage in using btc?

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
FattyMcButterpants

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 07:48:45 PM

But why i have to go trought all this complicated passages if I have no economic advantage in using btc?
The economic advantage of using bitcoin is the fact that it costs the merchant much less to accept your bitcoin. This should result, over time, in lower prices for people who chose to pay in bitcoin verses people who pay with credit cards
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 07:56:18 PM

" Over time" , i don't know... as now, buying in btc and replenish have no advantage.  Consider also the exchanger fees, the fees for transferring money to exchanger and then btc to the wallett and finally to the merchant, the fishy legislation  (I have to pay taxes if btc raise in value before I can buy?) and other cons of routinely-using byc

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: