Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:26:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to build an android app that can send bitcoins, possibly store.  (Read 1469 times)
weather b0y4 (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 11:51:51 PM

Hello everyone! I am relatively new to programming and am trying to teach myself how to build a simple android app. I am building my app using eclipse Kepler, and one of the the last things I need to do is to allow my app to spend bitcoins. The first thing I did was turn my android application project into a maven android application project so I could use more resources. (Am i saying this right? I just needed to be able to import bitcoinj so i downloaded maven and maven 2 eclipse, then added some dependencies)

First, I read that I can integrate my app with an existing wallet, such as coinbases or the schildbach bitcoin-wallet (https://github.com/schildbach/bitcoin-wallet) so I can spend bitcoin out of this wallet by pressing a button in my app, but I cannot figure out how to do this. I tried to follow the sample-android-integration project for the schildbach wallet:

My best guess is to include the following in my pom.xml file, which based on my knowledge should work:

<parent>
   <groupId>de.schildbach.wallet</groupId>
   <artifactId>base</artifactId>
   <version>1</version>
</parent>

<dependency>
         <groupId>de.schildbach.wallet</groupId>
         <artifactId>integration-android</artifactId>
         <version>2.0</version>
</dependency>

When I put the <parent> in my pom.xml file, i get the error "Non-resolvable parent POM". Do I even need this?

When i put the dependency in my pom.xml file I get plenty of errors, such as failed to read artifact descriptor, failed to transfer de.schildbach-wallet:integration... , and 26 missing artifact errors. I am getting "Missing artifact:com.google:bitcoinj:jar:0.11.1" Even though under my project in the maven dependencies section i see bitcoin-0.11.1.jar. Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong here?

The way I understand it, if I am "depending" on this artifact, I should be able to use the methods in it as part of my project. How far off from the truth am I? Am i doing anything right?

So, after failing at this for a while, I decided I would try to make my own simple wallet using bitcoinj. I just want to create a wallet I can load with a few $ of bitcoin and be able to send the coins to a specified address.

I have been able to create addresses and a wallet, but I need to save the wallet. However when I run the method wallet.saveToFile(File f) I get the following errors:

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.google.bitcoin.core.Wallet).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.bitcoinj.wallet.Protos$Key$Builder.setPrivateKey(Lcom/google/protobuf/ByteString;)Lorg/bitcoinj/wallet/Protos$Key$Builder;
   at com.google.bitcoin.store.WalletProtobufSerializer.walletToProto(WalletProtobufSerializer.java:131)
   at com.google.bitcoin.store.WalletProtobufSerializer.writeWallet(WalletProtobufSerializer.java:94)
   at com.google.bitcoin.core.Wallet.saveToFileStream(Wallet.java:468)
   at com.google.bitcoin.core.Wallet.saveToFile(Wallet.java:303)
   at com.google.bitcoin.core.Wallet.saveToFile(Wallet.java:342)
   at Main.main(Main.java:55)

Under maven dependencies I have log4j-1.2.16.jar and slf4j-log4j12-1.6.4.jar. Besides setting up slf4j as a dependency, what else do i need to do to "iniatilize the log4j system properly".

And my final question, will this be a recurring theme? Will different objects/methods I use from bitcoinj require me to set up ever more dependencies and jars?

If anyone has any suggestions, can answer any questions, or can point me to some material i should read, I would be very grateful!!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 12:47:16 AM

You are too new to programming to be handling wallets. I think you should gain 1-2 years of programming experience before jumping on the bitcoin wallet train.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
weather b0y4 (OP)

Activity: 22

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 04:49:14 AM

Fair point, and I would be the first to agree with you that I am bad at programming.

However, the only reason I am remotely interested in computer programming is because of bitcoin, and for at least a couple years I have been hoping someone would build the very simple app I am trying to build, perhaps as just a small part of a larger wallet app. Some have come close, but none have hit the target exactly, per se, so I decided to try and build a prototype myself and see if anyone liked it. (And if not, who cares? At least I learned a little programming along the way)

I had thought that an easy way to boost adoption would have been to make it very easy for any arbitrary app to set up a way to do bitcoin transactions so that not every programmer had to build their own wallet. Perhaps I am mistaken? Or i am overlooking something very simple/making a dumb mistake?

In any event I would like some constructive feedback. I really do not want to build a wallet, but i need to use a wallet.
Maha.Crypto

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 08:09:28 PM

Fair point, and I would be the first to agree with you that I am bad at programming.

However, the only reason I am remotely interested in computer programming is because of bitcoin, and for at least a couple years I have been hoping someone would build the very simple app I am trying to build, perhaps as just a small part of a larger wallet app. Some have come close, but none have hit the target exactly, per se, so I decided to try and build a prototype myself and see if anyone liked it. (And if not, who cares? At least I learned a little programming along the way)

I had thought that an easy way to boost adoption would have been to make it very easy for any arbitrary app to set up a way to do bitcoin transactions so that not every programmer had to build their own wallet. Perhaps I am mistaken? Or i am overlooking something very simple/making a dumb mistake?

In any event I would like some constructive feedback. I really do not want to build a wallet, but i need to use a wallet.

Hey,
Do you able to create android wallet?

rule144

Activity: 53

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 08:17:13 PM

I found blockgeeks to be a good site for learning.  They have courses too still I think, although I've never done one.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: