Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 12:18:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Question  (Read 1499 times)
BitcoinSoup (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 02:10:28 AM

I have a wireless modem that I use for data. Today I noticed it was massively overheating and my computer was running unusually hot.

Then I got a message from my provider that I was almost a gigabyte over my limit.

However I did not use much data recently. Somehow my computer has used several gigabytes yesterday and today when my actual usage was well under 10% of that.

I imagine it is some kind of hack but are there any ideas on what else it might be?

I've been using the same wireless modem for about 6 months. There are no computer users within range of the modem besides me.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3084

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2014, 02:15:49 AM

I have a wireless modem that I use for data. Today I noticed it was massively overheating and my computer was running unusually hot.

Then I got a message from my provider that I was almost a gigabyte over my limit.

However I did not use much data recently. Somehow my computer has used several gigabytes yesterday and today when my actual usage was well under 10% of that.

I imagine it is some kind of hack but are there any ideas on what else it might be?

I've been using the same wireless modem for about 6 months. There are no computer users within range of the modem besides me.

Install some software that will track your data usage.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
nikkoy

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2014, 03:13:35 AM

have you tried scanning your computer with an antivirus??

or try to check your task manager if there are applications or softwares that eat your DATA.

or if you are installing anything like torrents or videos, it is maybe the possible reasons why you have consumed a lot of data
ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 03:16:23 AM

Someone could be using your computer power to mine bitcoins for themselves. Worth checking, it's been done before.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 03:20:21 AM

Someone could be using your computer power to mine bitcoins for themselves. Worth checking, it's been done before.

mining bitcoin doesn't overheat your router m8

inb4 article on router mining
Billbags

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 04:18:29 AM

You may be looking in the wrong place. The files are "IN" the computer Shocked

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 05:59:42 AM

I missed the thread that stated his router is overheating.  That said, you have one or more of the following issues that may be eating up bandwidth:

1. Software updates (like windows, game or AV updates) taking place
2. Torrent server still active
3. Virus/bot running malware (like a mail server or ddos bot)
4. Possibly you wireless modem has a hijacker using your wifi (depends on type of wireless modem you have ( wifi router access or hotspot?)
5. Software backup/sync to cloud service running (Dropbox/one drive/Box/Gdrive/etc)

You have a little detective work ahead, but like mentioned earlier I would start with task manager to see what is active.  Then try installing some tracking software and running your antivirus.  

janna

Activity: 8

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 06:06:11 AM

are you sure no one else in your family uses the internet? outside from neighbors etc.
spidergoat

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 07:09:24 AM

Also, mining don't usually consume a lot of bandwidth. I would guess someone set up a tor node or use your computer to seed torrent files.
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 07:14:35 AM

Install some software that will track your data usage.

This. You either have a software continously checking something on Internet,  or a malware/virus. Bitcoin probably not involved.
Take a look here: www.howtogeek.com/192654

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
BitcoinSoup (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 05:27:31 PM

I missed the thread that stated his router is overheating.  That said, you have one or more of the following issues that may be eating up bandwidth:

1. Software updates (like windows, game or AV updates) taking place
2. Torrent server still active
3. Virus/bot running malware (like a mail server or ddos bot)
4. Possibly you wireless modem has a hijacker using your wifi (depends on type of wireless modem you have ( wifi router access or hotspot?)
5. Software backup/sync to cloud service running (Dropbox/one drive/Box/Gdrive/etc)

You have a little detective work ahead, but like mentioned earlier I would start with task manager to see what is active.  Then try installing some tracking software and running your antivirus.  

I was watching the task manager as the latest data surge occurred and there was nothing unusual.

1) I set all software to update manually and am running a minimalist Windows system. There is little to update aside from Windows which I do manually.
2) I do not use any torrent on the computer.
3) It does look like malware of some sort.
4) Physically I am about a quarter mile from any other house.
5) I have no cloud services on the computer like dropbox etc.

I do notice a correlation between running certain coin wallets, like xcn, and these surges but the wallets are widely used and not likely infected. The data surge takes into account any possible useage by wallets. I have been using coin wallets and know what sort of traffic they cause.
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 06:27:55 PM

Is it possible for a malware to hide from data usage monitoring?
 I don't know for sure,  but if it isn't (like I suppose) the only remaining options are other devices (like tablets or smartphones) or someone hacking your wifi.

Or your fridge, if you have a " smart"  fridge...

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 06:39:58 PM

Try a program called "MalwareBytes".

Some routers are vulnerable to certain hacks. I had a hacked router some months ago, it changed my DNS to a Singapore server and I'm fairly sure it redirected several sites to force me download infected files. Try hitting google for known vulnerabilities for your router.

If you can connect by cable, try the following: disable wifi and run a program called "wireshark". If you suspect some traffic is not yours, wireshark will report... unless the program goes silent as it cannot find any wifi. Maybe ask some friend if they cane give you an access point for a few days.

Consider Windows Update can download hundred of megs with ease... the last few updates didn't seem to be so big to me but I clearly wasn't paying attention.
BitcoinSoup (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 06:52:11 PM

You may be looking in the wrong place. The files are "IN" the computer Shocked

Interesting comment since after a bit I realized that my computer has roughly a few gigabytes added to it since the hack. A huge block of empty clusters visible on auslogics defrag now is full. When I have energy for it I'll figure that out.
cma3

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 07:07:22 PM

I second MalwareBytes.

But you may also want to bypass your router. go directly into the modem and see if the router is part of the issue.
Also, if its actually overheating (the router) try getting extra airflow to it. A fan, a window, take it out of the cabinet --etc.

These extra files/folders.. do they have names? Do a search for these names too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: