Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:17:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: freenet and cpu priority  (Read 8464 times)
darkside (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2010, 06:44:30 PM

Hello,

I installed your soft one month ago.

It is said, it "only" the free cpu. That's right, when i want to watch a divx etc.. no problem, no lag.

But recentely i installed freenet, this mean too other soft : fuquid, thaw, frost, fms.

And i have problems when bitcoin is active, freeze.

If i "control+alt+del" to set the priority level at very low for bitcoin, it solves the problem.

On this panel control, priority cpu level for bitcoin is "normal".

Of course, the problem could be from one of other softs running.

But, it could be very usefull on window xp to select the level of cpu priority you want in setting tool. Because all run auto when window run.
and the best is not to have to set manually each time.

For exemple, at the same time I run :

-freenet
-emule
-frost
-fms
-fuquid
-mozilla.
-bitcoin
-watching a divx.

When i have a freeze, set cpu priority from normal to low for bitcoin, solve the problem. And bitcoin is still running.

Thanks for your work and your idee, a great idee.

In hope the next update will solve this.

cheers ^^.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2010, 08:00:39 PM

You have multiple cores I guess? I just change affinity in task manager to keep 2 cores not working on bitcoin, I never slowdown now.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
darkside (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2010, 08:46:39 PM

You have multiple cores I guess? I just change affinity in task manager to keep 2 cores not working on bitcoin, I never slowdown now.

I don't think. An athlon 2200+ 1.51Ghz and 1.5Go of ram.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2010, 10:26:25 PM

I don't think. An athlon 2200+ 1.51Ghz and 1.5Go of ram.

Oh, sorry to assume. It just seemed like a lot of things running. But still my understanding is that Bitcoin is supposed to throttle down automatically, but it often doesn't for me, so I do like I said.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
NewLibertyStandard

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2010, 02:50:34 PM

It's quite difficult to generate a block right now. If you've got lots of other things running, then from a practical perspective I think it would be better to get not generate bitcoins. My guess is that it's not so much the process priority that's the problem as much as just the processor thrashing between tasks because it's got so much going on. The more tasks you have running concurrently, the more important it is to leave a portion of your total CPU below the maximum in order to keep your system running smoothly.

If you've got a specialty, you could offer your services in the Marketplace section or if you've got unwanted electronics or other item, you could offer to sale it. Trading for or buying bitcoins is probably easier, faster and cheaper than generating them on your computer.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
August 17, 2010, 04:33:01 PM

Could this be a competition of programs wanting to run a the "lowest" priority? Where bitcoin just competes less hard.

For example freenet wants to run at -10 priority but bitcoin only tries to run at -9 priority.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
August 18, 2010, 02:22:35 AM

Freenet already runs at low priority (nice 10).

You can change Bitcoin's priority as it starts. Right click the Bitcoin shortcut in the "startup" folder in the start menu. Click "properties". Change the "target" to this:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Bitcoin" /LOW /MIN "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin.exe"

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: