Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:06:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin as a Retirement Account  (Read 22693 times)
expert4knowledge

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 10:52:46 AM

Well everyones right answer would be diversify, but the question is how much money do you even have to begin with?

You cant be really helping yourself if you diversify only a small principal amount.
To reduce your risk it is better to assisgn a percentage, when you have 1000$ then 10 or 5% which becomes few ,this makes you have less risk of losing all you have

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
              ▄███▌ █
             ▀▀▀██▄  █
           ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
          █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄██ ███▄    █
        ▐███▀   ▀█   █
        ████     █   █
       ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
       ▀▄▄███▌      █
   ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
 ▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
               █  ▄▀
               ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
  ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
   ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄  ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
    ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
   ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
     ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
     ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████  ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
     █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
     ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                                ▄█████
                                                                            ▄███████▀
                                                                            ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
  LIGHTPAPER...
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 10:57:43 AM

This would actually be good, but who is going to take such an initiative to get this thing going???
Bitcoins for retirement would be great, but either we would need Governments to get involved into this, or some really trustworthy authorities to take the responsibility to do so like the Bitcoin Foundation...

Bitdonator
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 11:58:03 AM

In this interesting video you can see how to save Bitcoins
for retirement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mmt9JHmKss
SOAD

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 02:58:06 PM

This would actually be good, but who is going to take such an initiative to get this thing going???
Bitcoins for retirement would be great, but either we would need Governments to get involved into this, or some really trustworthy authorities to take the responsibility to do so like the Bitcoin Foundation...

How the hell do you need governments to get involved? Do you need a government to look after your coins and wallet right now? Just save the money for your retirement fund yourself and put a bit away each month or whenever you can afford. You need no third parties for this. I'd rather keep and have access to my own funds myself rather than trusting a gov with them.

gkv9
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 03:12:30 PM

How the hell do you need governments to get involved? Do you need a government to look after your coins and wallet right now? Just save the money for your retirement fund yourself and put a bit away each month or whenever you can afford. You need no third parties for this. I'd rather keep and have access to my own funds myself rather than trusting a gov with them.

I did not say like that, I said that we should have someone really trustworthy in order to start an initiative in these regards...

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 03:42:53 PM

for retirement:

Ey that is pretty cool idea of storing BTC safe.Thanks for that.Nice catch!
SOAD

Activity: 324

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 03:51:53 PM

I did not say like that, I said that we should have someone really trustworthy in order to start an initiative in these regards...

I'm not sure I understand you or what you mean by 'initiative'. Why would we need any 'trustworthy' third parties involved at all?

BTCevo
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 04:37:43 PM

Nope. Why do we need government to get involved with this kind of things? They dont even care about what we are doing and how we earn bitcoin, if they involved in this I dont think you will really get your retirement payment, may be you need to pay every single thing that they mention so you will get all of you bitcoin and that is wasting your time. If you are really want a trustworthy you can use any escrow in this forum they will help you for sure in every payment
Bitdonator
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 10:29:59 AM

for retirement:

Ey that is pretty cool idea of storing BTC safe.Thanks for that.Nice catch!

I already make a few cubes for me and my friends.
Its easy, cheap and fun  Cheesy
aysha985343

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 10:35:51 AM

no employer would do that and 98% of employees wont accept it. also it depends highly on if the bitcoins will be extras on your salary or it will be cut in the salary.

the former is a total yes from employees but not from employers

the latter is a probable yes from employers but no from employee.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 09:17:12 PM

Bitcoin as a retirement account is very very risky but if you can afford a total loss you can try it. if Bitcoin will succeed you will really have a good retirement time  Grin
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 10:56:35 PM

Whatever you end up doing, if you just want to store BTC for 10+ years, by all means do it through cold storage and get your paper wallets sealed with inflammable resistant material, and make several copies. This way your BTC are safe as long as you keep them safe.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 08:32:30 PM

Bitcoin as a retirement account is very very risky but if you can afford a total loss you can try it. if Bitcoin will succeed you will really have a good retirement time  Grin

How good can it be, if there are less than than 21 million coins in circulation when you retire (i.e. this century)? Oh, and by the way, there about another million folks wanting the same thing out of that 21 million coins.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 08:14:59 AM

How good can it be, if there are less than than 21 million coins in circulation when you retire (i.e. this century)? Oh, and by the way, there about another million folks wanting the same thing out of that 21 million coins.

those milllion folk are only holding few pennies in bitcoin, the great numbers are still in the hands of a few, ,i doubt the first will dump anytime soon, seeing how they hold nothing basically, their holding cannot even be considered for retirement, unless bitcoin reach 100k...
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 02:14:33 PM

If there is higher demand price automatically goes up. 21 million coin limit is never a problem either moneary and or technically. It's a self regulated system in all spects, except when devs fight over blocksize limit. That is not so self regulated.
operrajunk74

Activity: 344

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 06:23:05 PM

Yeah you cannot afford to trust government when it comes to bitcoin as we are aware the government will never support the bitcoin so it is useless to expect that government will come in support of bitcoin and you cannot trust anyone when it comes to your own money just trust yourself and move ahead.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 12:02:09 AM

To think about retirement + Bitcoin you need to have clear the fact that we are still discussing hard forks, in other words we are still in the very early stages of BTC. We have yet to find a formula and solution to make it scalable so you can star thinking about Bitcoin has something that will predictably have 100+ years of life and beyond. Once they fix this, i'll put most of my wealth on it, until then, I will treat it has something exciting but not think about it as a retirement tool.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 12:25:51 AM

To think about retirement + Bitcoin you need to have clear the fact that we are still discussing hard forks, in other words we are still in the very early stages of BTC. We have yet to find a formula and solution to make it scalable so you can star thinking about Bitcoin has something that will predictably have 100+ years of life and beyond. Once they fix this, i'll put most of my wealth on it, until then, I will treat it has something exciting but not think about it as a retirement tool.

Retirement account seldom need transaction for weeks and even years, so the scalability for that purpose is quite good even if all the earth's population is counted

Fork is annoying, but those who have experienced 2013 fork will understand that it is not that dangerous like it sounds

gkv9
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 07:24:19 AM

I'm not sure I understand you or what you mean by 'initiative'. Why would we need any 'trustworthy' third parties involved at all?

By Initiative, I mean some authorities, highly trustworthy, the ones who are related to Bitcoins and have fame in the same field, should start such a program which would give everyone an opportunity to store their coins with them...

I am only saying this because there are people who either lose their money due to exchange hacks or due to gambling them away...
Only a few are wise enough to either put all their coins in Paper wallets or safe somewhere in offline wallets...

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 07:48:50 AM

the possibility of a fork happening even when bitcoin will reach fully adoption isn't so unlikely, so i don't see the reason to not invest now for you retirment, instead of investing when bitcoin may look more finished

Retirement account seldom need transaction for weeks and even years, so the scalability for that purpose is quite good even if all the earth's population is counted

Fork is annoying, but those who have experienced 2013 fork will understand that it is not that dangerous like it sounds

i missed that fork, it happened after my registration on this forum, i wasn't aware of it, it look to be on the same entity at the upcoming fork, but while that fork was a mistake, this is intended
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: