Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:21:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Denied for credit card, which I attempted to get to get rid of Coinbase's delay  (Read 2026 times)
PA992 (OP)

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 01:15:39 PM

Coinbase says they don't truly receive your money from you immediately when they debit your account, so they institute a 5-day delay. This delay can be removed by adding a credit card. So I tried to get a credit card for this purpose and I was denied. I had also tried to get Paypal BillMeLater recently and I was denied for that too. I don't think BillMeLater would have worked for Coinbase, but it's obviously worth mentioning. My history: I got into debt with credit cards once, which I neglected for about a year, and eventually my parents paid it all off over the course of about 3 years.

Anyway, I was hoping to get a credit card that I could strictly use as an add-on for Coinbase and I would never use it. Does anyone have any suggestions for what cards to apply for?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 01:22:00 PM

if coinbase delays are peeing you off... dont use coinbase.. try other methods to get bitcoin such as local bitcoins or circle

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 01:30:24 PM

Coinbase only accepts Visa credit cards. Don't apply for a new Mastercard or you will have to hit your credit twice.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Magicman420

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 01:33:04 PM

Coinbase says they don't truly receive your money from you immediately when they debit your account, so they institute a 5-day delay. This delay can be removed by adding a credit card. So I tried to get a credit card for this purpose and I was denied. I had also tried to get Paypal BillMeLater recently and I was denied for that too. I don't think BillMeLater would have worked for Coinbase, but it's obviously worth mentioning. My history: I got into debt with credit cards once, which I neglected for about a year, and eventually my parents paid it all off over the course of about 3 years.

Anyway, I was hoping to get a credit card that I could strictly use as an add-on for Coinbase and I would never use it. Does anyone have any suggestions for what cards to apply for?

I don't get what you mean? I use coinbase but never have any delays? Does This make since yes I see how I doesnt come out of my bank account for a day or 2 but what do you mean?
axel2078

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 01:42:58 PM

With Coinbase, if you don't add a Visa credit card as a backup funding source, you don't get your bitcoin immediately after purchase....it takes 4-5 business days.  If you add a Visa credit card as a backup source, you do get your Bitcoin immediately after purchase, even though your bank account might not be debited for 2-3 days afterward.

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2014, 01:43:20 PM

Just use circle and link your bank account to make payment. Can't see why insisting on using coinbase which is obviously not the only option available.

axel2078

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 02:57:49 PM

Just use circle and link your bank account to make payment. Can't see why insisting on using coinbase which is obviously not the only option available.

I'm not very familiar with Circle.  How does it compare with Coinbase? What are the major differences? 

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2014, 03:35:36 PM

Not sure why they would do that: reversible and irreversible payment systems don't mix. They think it is somehow harder to dispute the charges on a VISA cash advance? Maybe I should re-read my credit card agreement Tongue

I only got it after learning you can't rent a car with cash.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
PA992 (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 03:45:44 PM

I'm not very familiar with Circle.  How does it compare with Coinbase? What are the major differences? 

I was just about to ask this question.  Smiley
Icon

Activity: 821
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 06:07:35 PM

You don't really need a CC just use a debit card with the visa/mastercard logo.. they act just like a cc and coinbase will never know.

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 06:16:19 PM

Sounds to me like they're pretty similar. Linking up one's bank account is about as easy as it gets for a new person to get themselves some coinage. CB even has their new vault feature that provides cold storage for folks.
segvec

Activity: 196

The cheddar breed jealousy

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 07:41:50 PM

Does Circle allow you to buy any amount of btc instantly?
If so, I have been in the dark for quite some time now.

▓▓▓▓   New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange            → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓   Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
PA992 (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 09:07:13 PM

You don't really need a CC just use a debit card with the visa/mastercard logo.. they act just like a cc and coinbase will never know.

No, they know and they know immediately. Already tried that.
brian_23452

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 10:20:09 PM

Of course they know, (not sure why that guy thought different).  In any case, your best bet will probably be a secured credit card.  I obviously don't know how bad your credit is but it probably isn't all that good based on what you said.  Anyone can get a secured card though.  They tend to be very expensive but it may be your only option if you simply have to have a CC.  I don't know of any that carry the visa logo off the top of my head but google it. 
ANTIcentralized

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 05:59:15 AM

Certain digits on a credit card number will determine who issued the credit card. I would theorize that a bank that issues a debit card would have a different number then the same bank issuing a credit card. Also I believe the fee structure for credit verses debit cards are different even if a debit card is used for "credit" so I would think that someone processing a transaction would be able to tell the difference
Icon

Activity: 821
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 12:52:58 AM

Well i am lvl 3 is it? or lvl 2 which ever is the highest using the same bank debit card thats linked to my btc bank account Smiley but did it like 6 months ago..

Icon
ScryptAsic

Activity: 647
Merit: 501

GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 06:55:04 AM

Of course they know, (not sure why that guy thought different).  In any case, your best bet will probably be a secured credit card.  I obviously don't know how bad your credit is but it probably isn't all that good based on what you said.  Anyone can get a secured card though.  They tend to be very expensive but it may be your only option if you simply have to have a CC.  I don't know of any that carry the visa logo off the top of my head but google it. 
Many major banks issue secured credit cards, but do not market them as heavily to most consumers as they are very expensive, they generally suggest them to people who get denied credit from their traditional credit cards
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1240

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 06:59:08 AM

Coinbase got really shitty for me too Sad

I don't use them any more. 

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 07:57:50 AM

If you can't get a single credit card, then your credit score is pretty bad. Every time you keep trying to apply for a card and get denied, it's hitting your credit score even more.

And for your situation, adding a credit card isn't going to fix what you're hoping for it to do. It's merely a BACKUP source of funds in case coinbase tries to debit your bank account and it has insufficient funds, it'll get charged to your credit card instead. You still have to wait a week to get your coins since funds come from your bank account, and there's no way to make the credit card as your primary source of payment.

ipoop2much

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 02:30:00 PM

Circle has been great with my debit card...no problems.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: