Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:49:02 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HDD Proof of Capacity Mining, is it Viable?  (Read 2406 times)
Emperion (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 02:27:50 PM

HDD Mining is now possible through a coin called Burstcoin. While there are ways of mining Burstcoin using PoW methods, BurstCoin is meant to be mined using a unique proof of capacity algorithm.

Prior to mining, miners generate segments of data known as plots that are saved to the hard-drive. The more plots stored; the faster a miner can mine. With every unsolved block, the miner’s hard-drive will search through the saved plots to estimate a timeframe for which it can mine a block if that block has not been found. Once the hard-drive reads through the plots, it will sit idly until the block can be solved. In theory, this means that HDD mining is incredibly power efficient and can be safely done on a laptop, unlike PoW mining.

Disclaimer: The author has no holdings in Burstcoin, nor has he ever personally mined Burstcoin.

The Burstcoin wallet is a web-based java wallet that requires some java knowledge to setup. The setup instructions are fairly vague, and a lot of people have been having troubles setting up everything they will need to mine. Miners will need to edit.BAT and SH files with specific perimeters that are not well documented. Generating the plots requires both significant HDD space, and time. To generate plots for a 2 TB hard-drive, the process could take up to 24 hours based on your computer’s hardware. HDD Mining with less than 1 TB at this point probably isn’t worth it.

Read the full article at: https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/hdd-proof-of-capacity-mining-viable/
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 04:15:10 PM

HDD Mining is now possible through a coin called Burstcoin. While there are ways of mining Burstcoin using PoW methods, BurstCoin is meant to be mined using a unique proof of capacity algorithm.

Prior to mining, miners generate segments of data known as plots that are saved to the hard-drive.

Do I have to write them to disk? Since you generate them yourself based on an algorithm, couldn't you just seek into the data by generating them on the fly? Aaaah answer: No, since the algorithm is that time costly that storing is the only viable way. That ... could work up to the moment somebody owns a computing cluster that generates the data on the fly, without need of diskspace.

Back on energy efficiency: PoS can do that, too. Inflation? Defineable like 1%.
Whenever BTC goes down, people everywhere all over the forum are complaining about Inflation due to newly emitted coins mined using PoW principle, block halving and high emittion curves  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: