Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:55:47 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin mining cost  (Read 2310 times)
tobeaj2mer01 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1098
Merit: 1000

Angel investor.

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 03:10:53 AM

What's the average cost to mine a coin now, kindly tell me, guys.

Sirx: SQyHJdSRPk5WyvQ5rJpwDUHrLVSvK2ffFa
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 05:59:37 AM

On average it costs around 1 BTC to mine a bitcoin -- less for some, more for others.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
ANTIcentralized

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 06:47:05 AM

On average it costs around 1 BTC to mine a bitcoin -- less for some, more for others.
It should never cost more then 1 BTC for someone to mine 1 BTC. If it does then the miner is essentially giving away money to the electric company. This miner would be better off buying bitcoin on an exchange if they wanted to acquire additional bitcoin
Katarina

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 09:48:17 AM

The average cost to mine a bitcoin is more then a bitcoin. A lot of people is mining at a loss...
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2014, 10:14:02 AM

It should never cost more then 1 BTC for someone to mine 1 BTC. If it does then the miner is essentially giving away money to the electric company. This miner would be better off buying bitcoin on an exchange if they wanted to acquire additional bitcoin

What is the profit of folding@home, mersenne prime number search, or other distributed computing projects that people participate in? Even if merely donating your computing, you are supporting Bitcoin's transaction processing and defending the network against attack in a way that just buying Bitcoin does not.

Regarding profit, there is a certain "turn off the miner you already bought" point. This has already happened for CPUs, GPUs, FPGAs and a lot of ASIC miners. It doesn't make sense to pay the power company for BTC when you could just buy them for less. Some miners have contracts or operations with "free" electricity that allow them to operate older equipment, and still others continue to operate their equipment even after they are past break-even.

Bitcoin miners turn electricity into heat, so if you were running a space heater under your desk to keep your feet warm, you might as well have a miner plugged in instead to make heat + Bitcoins.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 06:17:53 PM

assuming you are running this hardware https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=735982.0
assuming you dont pay cooling costs.
assuming you pay $0.07 CAD for electricity
assuming your dont have any interest or amortization costs on your hardware.
assuming you dont have any space rental or employment overhead.
amusing you mining for a shitty pool with bad luck but they pay anyway.

the average bitcoin costs $123.33 CAD to make today.

this cost changes every 2 weeks, at the moment it will become 7.5% less efficient to mine 1 coin in 5 days. that percentage is historically low - should be average around 10-15% and is expected to increase exponentially ever 2 weeks.

in 3-5 months things should get interesting as something will have to give, mining hasrate will fall or price will go up, as the cost of production = market price.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:16:17 PM

assuming you are running this hardware https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=735982.0

this cost changes every 2 weeks, at the moment it will become 7.5% less efficient to mine 1 coin in 5 days. that percentage is historically low - should be average around 10-15% and is expected to increase exponentially ever 2 weeks.

in 3-5 months things should get interesting as something will have to give, mining hasrate will fall or price will go up, as the cost of production = market price.

So in 13*10 = 130 days, with difficulty increase of 10% each 13 days, the cost of mining is $319 CAD. It is still lower than current price.
boraf

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:57:06 PM

Only the manufacture doing large scale production making money now.

The rest of the miners are hinging on false hope.
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 09:17:32 PM

So in 13*10 = 130 days, with difficulty increase of 10% each 13 days, the cost of mining is $319 CAD. It is still lower than current price.

Yip that said amortization isn't included so one can expect mining hardware investments to slow in the near future and the hash rate to be somewhat dictated by price.

Last week I would have said cheap coins if price doesn't rise but this week I'm not too sure.

Coin_Master

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 08:10:28 AM

What is the profit of folding@home, mersenne prime number search, or other distributed computing projects that people participate in? Even if merely donating your computing, you are supporting Bitcoin's transaction processing and defending the network against attack in a way that just buying Bitcoin does not.

Regarding profit, there is a certain "turn off the miner you already bought" point. This has already happened for CPUs, GPUs, FPGAs and a lot of ASIC miners. It doesn't make sense to pay the power company for BTC when you could just buy them for less. Some miners have contracts or operations with "free" electricity that allow them to operate older equipment, and still others continue to operate their equipment even after they are past break-even.

Bitcoin miners turn electricity into heat, so if you were running a space heater under your desk to keep your feet warm, you might as well have a miner plugged in instead to make heat + Bitcoins.

Very good points you make, I was participating in the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search back in 2004, running an overclocked Pentium 4 for most of the year, in terms of power it was a total loss, but the cost is of no interest to me.  Funny you should mention running a non-profitable miner for heat, that is exactly what I am doing right now, it's cold.  Think of it as subsidized heating Smiley
Basket Case

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 02:52:51 PM

I was seriously thinking of starting mining. Then after a lot of calculations I decided to buy Bitcoins than mining.
Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 02:59:24 PM

I was seriously thinking of starting mining. Then after a lot of calculations I decided to buy Bitcoins than mining.
yes
buying bitcoin is better then mining in current situation
mining is not profitable for new miners untill its price rise up
MelodyRowell

Activity: 394

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 01:09:45 AM

You need to somehow factor in the cost of your equipment. Even though it is only a one time expense, it is still an expense and if you are not able to mine enough bitcoin at a cost below the value of bitcoin then you will end up with a loss
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 03:39:24 AM

You need to somehow factor in the cost of your equipment. Even though it is only a one time expense, it is still an expense and if you are not able to mine enough bitcoin at a cost below the value of bitcoin then you will end up with a loss

Yes I agree but lets say your capital investment is a sunk cost, when do you power down and call it quits? If your operating costs are lower than the cost of Bitcoin you can keep going. You may never ROI but it's more profitable than quitting.

DhaniBoy

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 08:29:21 AM

price of capital for mining bitcoin is currently very large, we need high specification computers cukum, large electrical power from the power source, and of course all it requires no small cost, while for the results of the mining bitcoin itself, for the time being too significant, so I think this time is the wrong time to mine bitcoin ...  Cool

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
galenecrosby

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 01:41:26 PM

thinking its easy to engage in mining  and reading this post encouraging me more to decide whats best to do..thanks for this amazing Ideas...
FlyForFun

Activity: 243

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:02:49 PM

For most people, its more then a bitcoin. So its really not worth mining but they want to secure the network..

Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 11:14:38 PM

price of capital for mining bitcoin is currently very large, we need high specification computers cukum, large electrical power from the power source, and of course all it requires no small cost, while for the results of the mining bitcoin itself, for the time being too significant, so I think this time is the wrong time to mine bitcoin ...  Cool
wrong time to be buying mining equipment if you want a ROI from mining alone. I'm happy to be mining atm. My equipment was bought with $600 BTC, its earned 90% back, and I've replaced the BTC with $350 BTC so it can still be done, its just not easy.

ruthless09

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 08:00:12 AM

Yes I agree but lets say your capital investment is a sunk cost, when do you power down and call it quits? If your operating costs are lower than the cost of Bitcoin you can keep going. You may never ROI but it's more profitable than quitting.

The cost of buying the miners will need to be taken into consideration prior to someone buying the miners in the first place. 
Oscilson

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 08, 2014, 02:54:03 PM

The cost of the equipment has to be amortized and used to calculate the profitability. The amortization period depends on the difficulty rise period when the cost of mining is more than the revenue. I think the period is between 70 to 100 days.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: