Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:32:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: "bitcoin is the most dangerous open source project ever created"  (Read 5425 times)
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:28:16 PM

1. Bitcoin is a technologically sound project.
2. Bitcoin is unstoppable without end-user prosecution.
3. Bitcoin is the most dangerous open-source project ever created.
4. Bitcoin may be the most dangerous technological project since the internet itself.
5. Bitcoin is a political statement by technotarians (technological libertarians).*
6. Bitcoins will change the world unless governments ban them with harsh penalties.

Grin

My god, is economic freedom so scary?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mjsbuddha

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

yung lean

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:32:18 PM

http://launch.is/blog/l019-bitcoin-p2p-currency-the-most-dangerous-project-weve-ev.html for the article
Vasili Sviridov

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2011, 09:32:50 PM

Some people are just too afraid of freedom and change.

1JHYtsmsGq2McwGHmWayVjVtHds8rp1R5
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:34:15 PM

Sounds more like praise than fear.

JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:35:53 PM

lol'ed at "technotarians".
Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:36:00 PM

it is dangerous... in the sense that it cannot be regulated, watched, or enforced.
most of us dont see that as a bad thing, but never for a minute think its not dangerous. In the right hands, the anonymity of bitcoins could finance anything.
consider: Much of the anti-terroism stuff has been hunted and tracked through money trails... with bitcoins, the money trail is almost non-existant. Hundreds of thousands could potentially be funneled through it in to highly warlike organizations such as the US Gov.. er i mean the taliban.

ZOMG Moo!
k

Activity: 451

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:36:39 PM

the headline is more linkbait than anything else I imagine. take it with a pinch of salt.
mjsbuddha

Activity: 336

yung lean

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:39:42 PM

the headline is more linkbait than anything else I imagine. take it with a pinch of salt.

A lot of people that wouldn't normally bother learning about bitcoins will now due to the sensational headline. Its a good thing in my opinion.
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:40:28 PM

Yeah, I red this word for the first time as well.   I like it.

gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:45:36 PM

It's the most gamechanging open source project since the Linux kernel, if you ask me. Time will tell if it is even more so.
unk

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:48:32 PM

'Bitcoin is unstoppable without end-user prosecution' is currently the biggest incorrect bitcoin myth.
k

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:53:40 PM

'Bitcoin is unstoppable without end-user prosecution' is currently the biggest incorrect bitcoin myth.

just asking -do you think it's
incorrect because it is stoppable some other way
or
incorrect because end-users won't/can't be prosecuted?
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 10:12:20 PM

Banning Bitcoin by governments would only make it more popular.

The real question is: will the governments dare to shut down the whole internet ? Because it is already too late for any other action that could have major effect on Bitcoin economy.
No, seriously.

PiGames

Activity: 110

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 10:22:15 PM

+1 @ technotarians.

Has a nice ring to it
jasoncalacanis

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 10:23:41 PM

[ Author uncloaking here ]

Yes. It's praise. I am a technotarian--and in fact the creator of the word (I think).

I'm a huge fan of bitcoin and hope that it take hold. 
k

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 10:33:10 PM

Yes. It's praise. I am a technotarian--and in fact the creator of the word (I think).

welcome Jason.

enjoyed the article and the twist interview the other day. also loving technotarian - it could have legs.

wondering how far you're belief in bitcoin goes, just as a hypothetical what would you think over someone pitching you for angel funding for something in the bitcoin sphere. would a "bitcoin venture" be fundable. say something like a p2p money-exchange site (thinking something like transferwise.com) for dollars/euro/gbp to bitcoin and vice-versa.

unk

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:07:40 PM

jason, i see what people say about your view of yourself is true. you didn't create the word.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:08:46 PM

Welcome to the forum, fellow technotarian. Grin Bitcoin + Poker = Win.
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:17:06 PM

Typical Calcanis for you. Don't get me wrong though. I want this guy behind us more than anybody.
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:32:49 PM

Hi Jason,

I've just realised that you are quite a famous and successful IT entrepreneur.  Welcome on this forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Calacanis

tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:40:09 PM

Banning Bitcoin by governments would only make it more popular.

The real question is: will the governments dare to shut down the whole internet ? Because it is already too late for any other action that could have major effect on Bitcoin economy.
No, seriously.

I'd love to hear your reasoning on how banning it would make it more popular.

Also, if you cut out all ways to buy bitcoins using the banking system, you have an absolute huge effect on the economy.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:45:54 PM

Yeah, I red this word for the first time as well.   I like it.

Not sold on it myself. Sounds like a great word for the mainstream to use as a spooky word.

"The crazy technotarians are coming to eat your babies, everyone run for your lives!"
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:49:11 PM

Also, if you cut out all ways to buy bitcoins using the banking system, you have an absolute huge effect on the economy.

It will happen soon or later.  They'll have MtGox and other currency exchange closed.

However, I'm pretty sure that won't destroy the bitcoin economy.   But only time will tell.

no to the gold cult

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:59:33 PM

MtGox is probably going to go down at some point, targeted by hostile government action. Personally I don't think it's a bad thing, I agree with that crazy Russian guy allegedly behind the ddosing, the Gox is starting to resemble a monopoly and I don't like to see one organization acquire so much power over such a revolutionary economic force as btc.

I don't know what conversations take place in MtGox's 'boardrooms' so to speak, I'm sure the crowd behind MtGox are stand-up guys but the sooner we have a vast range of competing exchanges in various countries the better.
k

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:00:11 AM

now Robert Scoble is tweeting about bitcoin

http://twitter.com/#!/Scobleizer/status/69912540351709184

prepare for the bitcoin price spike - will go through $10 easily next week.
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:06:43 AM

God damn it I'm still waiting for some funds to be received by MtGox.  Bloody bank wire delays....

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:17:03 AM

God damn it I'm still waiting for some funds to be received by MtGox.  Bloody bank wire delays....

I'm in the same boat.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Anonymous

May 16, 2011, 12:28:06 AM

technotarian = alpaca sock wearing cryptoterrorist.

http://ircquotes.witcoin.com/p/718/

f: "Attempts to undermine the legitimate currency of this country

f: are simply a unique form of domestic terrorism."

f: ...

f: "We are determined to meet these threats through infiltration,

f: disruption, and dismantling of organizations which seek to challenge

f: the legitimacy of our democratic form of government."

f: Can we only assume they have already infiltrated this channel?

j: f: I bet they've infiltrated #bitcoin-discussion, where this is more on-topic Smiley

m: we can assume they have infiltrated all channels

f: j: the people on that channel are only discussing alternate currencies, not actually building them like you terrorists are on this channel.

c: how many people TOR their miners?

t: c:, attacking pools won't slow down mining.

c: no. jailing pool owners will.

c: they start putting people in jail and pressing charges I'll drop my gigahash/s out of mining.

t: c:, why would you stop mining ?

c: because if the FBI wants to deem mining btc something worth their time to fuck with people over, it's not worth any personal risk to me. Even if I know I can mine with near perfect anonymity and safety.

m: we are "alpaca-sock-wearing crypto-terrorists"
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:40:01 AM

One of the things that bugs me about Jason's blog post is "Your coins can't be tracked" which is patently false.

Jason should read
     https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Anonymity
and
     http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5907.0

Also, while mentioning mtgox elsewhere in the blog post, under "how to buy and sell bitcoins" it just lists the ways you cannot buy/sell Smiley

Regards,

Jeff (bitcoin core dev)

Astro

Activity: 284

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 01:27:28 AM

The support of someone like Calacanis is a huge plus for bitcoin and the community in general.  I was afraid that we were becoming a bit insular.  The external perception of bitcoin users being a bit nutty was a real concern. Now that some mainstream interest has started to appear, it's full speed ahead.  IMHO.
Anonymous

May 16, 2011, 01:31:27 AM

The support of someone like Calacanis is a huge plus for bitcoin and the community in general.  I was afraid that we were becoming a bit insular.  The external perception of bitcoin users being a bit nutty was a real concern. Now that some mainstream interest has started to appear, it's full speed ahead.  IMHO.

When you run around screaming about the emporer having no clothes people assume you are nuts or when you claim the world isn't flat...or that one day men will fly or land on the moon.
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 02:00:29 AM

Wahey, Jason's here! I've seen you excited about startups, new tech and certainly Audible on the TWIT Podcasts, but I don't think I've quite seen you this excited before! Grin
nereer

Why settle for the lesser evil?

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 11:26:56 AM

Jason

If you are watching this thread I have a question for you:

where do you see the investment opportunities in bitcoin? what kinds of projects will angel investors be receptive to?

If you agree that Bitcoin needs a dedicated Q & A site please sign up for the Bitcoin StackExchange site!
5cenr0

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 11:41:13 AM

I saw bitcoin about a month ago and it peeked my interest some. Just read that article and it reminded me. I'm a complete newb at this whole concept though so if there is a 'Bit Coin for Dummies' breakdown somewhere i would greatly appreciate it. I only vaguely understand how it works.
nereer

Why settle for the lesser evil?

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:03:15 PM

I saw bitcoin about a month ago and it peeked my interest some. Just read that article and it reminded me. I'm a complete newb at this whole concept though so if there is a 'Bit Coin for Dummies' breakdown somewhere i would greatly appreciate it. I only vaguely understand how it works.

Loads of links for ye Smiley

First, a video Security Now 287: BitCoin CryptoCurrency
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQPSwA2Itbs&feature=player_detailpage#t=2513s

This is new, and pretty good:
http://www.weusecoins.com/

I would go through and set up a bitcoin wallet on your computer, and you can get a free bitcoin:
http://www.weusecoins.com/getting-started.php

This is probably a better startup guide:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Using_Bitcoin

current exchange rates:
http://bitcoinwatch.com/

A reddit thread with a lot of really good beginner questions answered well:
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/g7zlw/google_engineer_releases_open_source_bitcoin/c1lo624

and here on the forums!

If you agree that Bitcoin needs a dedicated Q & A site please sign up for the Bitcoin StackExchange site!
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:09:37 PM

MtGox is probably going to go down at some point, targeted by hostile government action. Personally I don't think it's a bad thing, I agree with that crazy Russian guy allegedly behind the ddosing, the Gox is starting to resemble a monopoly and I don't like to see one organization acquire so much power over such a revolutionary economic force as btc.

I don't know what conversations take place in MtGox's 'boardrooms' so to speak, I'm sure the crowd behind MtGox are stand-up guys but the sooner we have a vast range of competing exchanges in various countries the better.

Well, I think that the reason why mtgox is so popular is that it's the best exchange. At least for european transfers it's very easy and cheap too. All others I have looked at haven't offered such features as mtgox.

ploum

Activity: 428
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 12:20:28 PM

if there is a 'Bit Coin for Dummies' breakdown somewhere i would greatly appreciate it.

That's what I tried to write here: http://ploum.net/post/bitcoin-bubble (for those who like to read)

It's not about how it works, it's  just about the concept of an e-currency by itself.

Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:44:34 PM

i take advantage of another electronic currency... secondlife's linden dolar. virwox trading is a bit slower than the others, but since i have a SL buisness, it makes a nice and tidy package for me.

ZOMG Moo!
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: