Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:50:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P2P limits from ISP  (Read 1434 times)
vite (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1018
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 02:35:12 PM

With my ISP downloading a 1 gig file takes roughly 45 min, but downloading the bitcoin block takes about 9 hours. I always use QT cause of its suppose to be the most secure and it was the one I originally downloaded and worked, so I have stuck with it.

One day out of boredom, I installed the QT client on a second PC within the same LAN, I thought, since its P2P and its inside the same LAN, then it will transfere the data faster cause its inside the same lan, but it still took about 9 hours to download.

I reinstalled the QT client to transfer the wallet to a new PC, and started around 11 pm est, its 10 am EST today and it still has not finished, but getting there lol.

Just wondering how I can test if my ISP has p2p limits

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 03:08:44 PM

It's not the download itself that takes time. It's processing and indexing the downloaded raw data.

IMHO it's IO time the great bottleneck concerning blockchain update. At least my laptop disk makes a lot of noise. Smiley
vite (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1018
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 07:07:18 PM

99.61% @ 3:07 EST
DILLIGAF

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 07:31:44 PM

With my ISP downloading a 1 gig file takes roughly 45 min, but downloading the bitcoin block takes about 9 hours. I always use QT cause of its suppose to be the most secure and it was the one I originally downloaded and worked, so I have stuck with it.

One day out of boredom, I installed the QT client on a second PC within the same LAN, I thought, since its P2P and its inside the same LAN, then it will transfere the data faster cause its inside the same lan, but it still took about 9 hours to download.

I reinstalled the QT client to transfer the wallet to a new PC, and started around 11 pm est, its 10 am EST today and it still has not finished, but getting there lol.

Just wondering how I can test if my ISP has p2p limits

Believe you could have used the addnode option when starting the daemon/QT client to get it to connect to your already existing install for the download or better yet you could have just copied over the files in your bitcoin directory over the LAN before starting either of them to have it all already done no download needed then. If you left out the wallet.dat during copy then you would have the two different address one for each machine if you copied then both would use the same address.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 06:00:37 AM

Believe you could have used the addnode option when starting the daemon/QT client to get it to connect to your already existing install for the download

Well, addnode will add it to the list but to force it to only connect to a specific node use -connect=

-connect=<ip>      Connect only to the specified node
- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 04:37:22 PM

It's not a downloading limit

You have no p2p limit, stay calm

It takes age to get the blockchain cause it verify each block. Check the hard drive usage, it will be using the hard disk like hell while getting the blockchain. The limit is the hard disk speed, not the internet connection. With a SSD it would be much more faster. If you setup a RAM disk it would be muuuuch faster

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 05:22:45 PM

It's not a downloading limit

You have no p2p limit, stay calm

It takes age to get the blockchain cause it verify each block. Check the hard drive usage, it will be using the hard disk like hell while getting the blockchain. The limit is the hard disk speed, not the internet connection. With a SSD it would be much more faster. If you setup a RAM disk it would be muuuuch faster
Thing is, many of these things were mitigated - quite a lot - with 0.6.2 version. It really shouldn't be taking so long.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 07:10:37 AM

Thing is, many of these things were mitigated - quite a lot - with 0.6.2 version. It really shouldn't be taking so long.

Not for me...
When I start my 0.6.2 client after a single day off, the time to synchronize is considerable. The disk works frenetically.

I suspect indexation time is the issue here... does anyone know how the blockchain index is structured? If it is just a sorted disk array for example, inserting anything would be linear on the amount of data already there.
Plus, I believe it would help to do bulk inserts, asynchronously, if that's not done already. This would allow the download+verification to continue while indexation is processing a previous bulk. I have the impression that the whole process is synchronous (download a block, verify it, insert in BD, download next block, verify it, insert and so on...). If that's the case, it could be optimized. Not saying it's easy, but it's possible.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: