Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:40:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is bitcoin now so absurdly stable when priced in USD?  (Read 4801 times)
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 12:55:32 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2012, 01:38:23 AM by Maged

Simple.... BitInstant  Wink

I'ma let you finish, but lemme say it like dis...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKEk7b2vfoQ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 01:05:04 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2012, 01:38:33 AM by Maged

I'ma let you finish, but lemme say it like dis...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKEk7b2vfoQ

Ima let you finish, but first let me say........
http://www.guzer.com/videos/kanye-west-vma-outburst.php

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 01:15:41 AM

hagnahh … and Gox got me again. My cash is in limbo and I sent it when the rate was around 5.10 every other hour. Somehow I bet they will report my cash incoming when we see a 6.
Last time I sent money to them the price was at 2$ and they finally charged it when we were back at 4$. Sad I want a fast track.

Ok, so how exactly would that work when I only have German and Chilean bank accounts? With my expectations looking at the totally vanishing market depth at the bitcoin side, I would really not mind paying some % to get money there *now*.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 01:50:56 AM

hagnahh … and Gox got me again. My cash is in limbo and I sent it when the rate was around 5.10 every other hour. Somehow I bet they will report my cash incoming when we see a 6.
Last time I sent money to them the price was at 2$ and they finally charged it when we were back at 4$. Sad I want a fast track.

Ok, so how exactly would that work when I only have German and Chilean bank accounts? With my expectations looking at the totally vanishing market depth at the bitcoin side, I would really not mind paying some % to get money there *now*.

Yeah, BITINSTANT listen up: WHY U DONT HAVE UROP BANK ACCOUNT!?
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 02:03:19 AM

Simple.... BitInstant  Wink

BECAUSE YORUP IS ABOUT TO COLLAPSE, THATS WHY Tongue

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 03:05:32 AM

In which case Germany will be the only ones with any money left there. His acct is in Germany, so why no instant deposit? ;p

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 03:22:42 AM

This is are REEZON to throw in the saving belt, not to let us drown without merxy isn't it? Shouldn't BitInstant hire people in Greece now to sell Bitcoin in the street? Wink

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:05:35 AM

Offer and demand of bitcoins is mainly speculation (gambling) instead of a real use of the currency. This way the behavior of the price is uncertain (some periods of high volatility, others of high stability).
Store of value is a very real and valid use of a currency and some might question whether the numbers on their bank accounts really do provide this feature in times like these. I'm pretty sure that a good percentage of people speculating on Mt. Gox simply do so because they actually just want to hold a part of their wealth in Bitcoins but don't want to lose out because of its volatility.

In order to fix this problem we need more entrepreneurs, engineers and developers (real work), and less economists, speculators and gamblers (zero-sum game).
While i totally agree that this would be a good thing, Bitcoin does have some unique properties all by itself which might make it appealing in the current phase of global economic uncertainty. I'd never advocate Bitcoin as a safe investment but to diversify some of your holdings into Bitcoin is surely a rational choice for many people. Think about it: even if there was not a single merchant accepting Bitcoin by itself, it would still be valuable as a very secure, non-inflatable, cheap and easy to transfer, global unit of account together with a pretty reliable transaction system that cannot realistically be shut down. There's not much else on earth fitting this description.

Oh and volatility will certainly come back - no worries Smiley

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀