Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:25:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a fan for Sapphire 5830  (Read 5866 times)
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 07:51:03 PM

If one of you can post the part number of the fan I'll see if I can dig them up for you, I replaced a couple a few months back and they ended up being ~8$ each, but could have been cheaper since I paid a premium to a middleman.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:37:09 PM

Yeah.... no. I tried this for THREE fans, and I obliterated all of them (The plastic part behind the fan would always break, rendering it impossible to remount the fan ever again)

Shrugs. You must be prying wrong. The parts I pried apart were pretty solid and were in no danger of breaking.

They simply do nt want to come off. I tried inserting metal rods in 3 equidistant spots between the mounting plastic and the PCB (these 2 things are linked together) so I have a means to apply equal force when prying the fan itself away from the electrical part and the spindle inside without tearing up my hands from the mounting plastic.

I even tried prying between the pcb and the fan itself, and it threatens to break the solder points from the copper coil inside the fan, or break the PCB itself.

Maybe you are lucky and have "compatible" fans that are meant to come apart. All I know is my fans won't ever come apart like you describe intact. I even tried one of the youtube videos where a guy takes apart a blower-type vga fan in the way that you described, but it's just LOCKED in place, as if there are 1-way teeth inside that will let you insert the fan, but not take it apart.

edit: I was right. I destroyed another fan to the point that I could use pliers to get a firm grip of the pcb-like area and finally seperate the fan from the electrical part with a TREMENDOUS amount of force. The metal rod inside the fan had a cut/depressed area and the electrical part had these teeth (which I broke after successfully prying apart) that sits in this depressed area and normally prevents one from prying the fan away from the electical area.

AzN1337c0d3r

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 02:20:12 AM

I took some pictures of what mine looks like and how I took it apart

In the fourth picture, it's kind of hard to see but I have 2 screwdrivers inserted parallel to each other. I then slid one of them around and when I did that it popped the motor shaft out of the commutator.

jme621

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 06:42:54 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=70043.0
PolymorphicAssasin (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 06:29:21 PM

If one of you can post the part number of the fan I'll see if I can dig them up for you, I replaced a couple a few months back and they ended up being ~8$ each, but could have been cheaper since I paid a premium to a middleman.

"First D" FD9225U12S
0.48 Amp, 12v. 

Here's a sketched up photo, sorry for the blurry-iphone-closeup-picture-crappiness.  And the toddler level red-crayon markup.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32375118/Fan_FD9225U12s-ScaledDown.JPG
dropt
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 11:56:30 PM

"First D" FD9225U12S
0.48 Amp, 12v.  

Here's a sketched up photo, sorry for the blurry-iphone-closeup-picture-crappiness.  And the toddler level red-crayon markup.

No worries, thanks for posting the pic.  I haven't seen many 4 legged ones in my travels.  I'll do some digging and get back to you.

Edit:  Could you measure the hole spacing (in mm)?
ARapalo

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 12:41:37 AM

Sorry, out of context.  What I was hoping was that someone ELSE had taken THEIR fans off their 5830s to do water cooling, and maybe had those extra fans laying around and wanted to make me a reasonable offer to sell them to me. Smiley
I think it's pretty rare to find someone that would watercool a 5830, as that is a huge waste. And even then, I think people usually keep the stock air coolers around just for backup in case they want to revert back to air cooling or in case something is wrong with the loop.
PolymorphicAssasin (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 01:34:37 AM

"First D" FD9225U12S
0.48 Amp, 12v.  

Here's a sketched up photo, sorry for the blurry-iphone-closeup-picture-crappiness.  And the toddler level red-crayon markup.

No worries, thanks for posting the pic.  I haven't seen many 4 legged ones in my travels.  I'll do some digging and get back to you.

Edit:  Could you measure the hole spacing (in mm)?

Annoying, right? The 4 mounting posts?  I'll try to find a ruler at the office tomorrow and I'll repost here with measurements.

Not a huge issue right now, as I've got a regular old 80mm case fan zip tied to it and underclocked (& undervolted) it inside in a case, and it's doing... alright.  190 ish Mhs at 69C.
PolymorphicAssasin (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 05:23:31 PM

The picture above has been edited with measurements for the 4 mounting holes.  40mm along the outside edge; 57 through the middle. (Measuring from middle of hole to middle of hole).
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 07:57:06 PM

I would like to purchase two of these fans, also.
dropt
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 04:08:07 PM

I've yet to find the four post unit(s) with those dimensions.  Still looking.
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 11:52:19 PM

I have that exact card with a seized up fan too!

I tried some lithium grease but it didnt help, so I did this:

<picture>

I remember reading somewhere on these forums that if you drill a small hole on the face of the fan about half a centimeter offset from the center and insert oil in there (wd-40 will work, but not as long. I have 3-in-1 oil and works great, wont evaporate), it'll release the friction and the fan will spin like brand new.

I did it for this card and it worked great. Before it would spin maybe only 60rpm. Now it spins nice n fast, and even wooshes at higher RPM.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221020808125

I've done this, but it only works for about a week then you have to relube it again, its a pain in the ass.  Easier to just pop the cover off and ziptie a 80mm fan onto it.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: