Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:29:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why X11 runs cooler - an answer.  (Read 2626 times)
Wolf0 (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 1002

It was only the wind.

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 08:32:07 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2018, 03:12:50 AM by Wolf0

NaN.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ice Man

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 05:50:41 AM

This makes more sense than most of the guesses out there. Thanks for for sharing this answer with us.  Smiley
Radelderth

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 07:57:14 AM

wolf, I don't get what you are trying to say. Can you put in layman terms please?

AltCoinTroll

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 11:08:49 PM

wolf, I don't get what you are trying to say. Can you put in layman terms please?

X11 runs cold because the implementation sucks and a good part of the GPU is idle.

But that is actually nice on the hardware. Less wear and tear.
sniveling

Activity: 719
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 11:16:35 PM

X11 runs cold because the implementation sucks and a good part of the GPU is idle.

The dark coin wiki says this about it.

Is X11 cooler in GPUs because it's inefficient?

Not necessarily. Bitcoin mining in GPUs (SHA256) requires less energy than Scrypt and yet no-one claims that SHA256 implementation is inefficient – it's just that there are differences in how each hashing algorithm uses the hardware.

Regarding X11, apparently the “gaps” in the chaining sequence, as one algorithm is hashed with the next algorithm, provide for a “breathing” space or “lag”. An alternative explanation is that certain algorithms (out of the 11) are just slow when processed by a GPU and thus slow down the whole process. The hashing of a chain can only go as fast as the slowest algorithm of the chain.

There should be some level of optimization possible in some of the hashing algorithms that increase the hashrate and energy consumption in future versions of the GPU miners. Groestl in particular is considered to be improvable.

http://wiki.darkcoin.eu/wiki/FAQ#Is_X11_cooler_in_GPUs_because_it.27s_inefficient.3F
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 11:25:30 PM

no shit i said that when it came out and they ran around advertising that and you all argued with me endlessly LOL

I told you so Wink

PS:
Put Blocknet in your topic title if you want people to read this Wink

The world is tuned in and we need up to the minute late breaking Blocknet-gate scandal coverage !

PPS:
I can post 50 quotes of me saying that 6 months ago too if need be Wink
thanks for proving my rightness though..
I am always right, come to terms with it  Cool

FUD first & ask questions later™
UnicornFarts

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 11:33:17 PM

no shit i said that when it came out and they ran around advertising that and you all argued with me endlessly LOL

I told you so Wink

PS:
Put Blocknet in your topic title if you want people to read this Wink

The world is tuned in and we need up to the minute late breaking Blocknet-gate scandal coverage !

PPS:
I can post 50 quotes of me saying that 6 months ago too if need be Wink
thanks for proving my rightness though..
I am always right, come to terms with it  Cool

Additionally, x13 and x15 suck for the same reason. The x14 and x17 PoW functions, too, but nobody cares about them.

What about the X7 that Cryptonite uses?
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 11:40:50 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2014, 05:26:40 AM by Spoetnik

well i was impressed by your work though good job Smiley

and X7 i have no idea LOL

JHA aka: Jackpotcoin uses mix of 5 .an X5 algo of sorts
and it is less of heat draw than X11 too

FUD first & ask questions later™
UnicornFarts

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 11:46:05 PM

any opinions on lyra2 that vertcoin is supposed to be coming out with?  they claim it will be easier on the cards than scrypt ... wonder if it has this compromise

P.S.  I'm picking up some jackpotcoin just 'cuz i love you spotniek
UnicornFarts

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 11:48:39 PM

any opinions on lyra2 that vertcoin is supposed to be coming out with?  they claim it will be easier on the cards than scrypt ... wonder if it has this compromise

Ehehehe. I'm gonna have fun with Lyra2RE. The current code for Lyra2 - even without the extra hashes - is quite bad. Once it works, I'll have a field day.

In other words - your closed sourced miner will be much more efficient than the open source one huh Tongue
UnicornFarts

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 11:51:56 PM

any opinions on lyra2 that vertcoin is supposed to be coming out with?  they claim it will be easier on the cards than scrypt ... wonder if it has this compromise

Ehehehe. I'm gonna have fun with Lyra2RE. The current code for Lyra2 - even without the extra hashes - is quite bad. Once it works, I'll have a field day.

In other words - your closed sourced miner will be much more efficient than the open source one huh Tongue

By a mile, likely. By the way, technically, my miner is open source - those who it is shared with have the source - I'm just picky about who I share it with.

Nothing wrong with that.  Just out of curiosity why do you normally sell your miner or mine yourself instead of releasing a closed source with a %?
BitJohn

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

@Bit_John

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 01:11:35 AM

Great write up and discussion great stuff.
Come-In-Behind

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 01:17:29 AM

Nice write up OP. Btw Spoetnik, you're wrong most of the time.

I am always rightwrong, come to terms with it  Cool
Hityor_Petar

Activity: 118

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 02:12:46 AM

Is it the same for FRESH algo?

Hityor_Petar

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 02:41:46 AM

Is it the same for FRESH algo?

No idea, I'd have to look at it.

Oh ok. It runs cooler and acts a lot like x-11.

Ignition75

Activity: 462

www.dashpay.io

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 04:01:05 AM

Hehe I've read in many forums x11 runs cooler cause it sucks at hashing.  I'm surprised nobody has bothered to fix this until now...

Or perhaps it was such a large job to do properly it required some long term planning.

Do me a favour mate, "basically the same - the extra wave in flight helps hide memory access times, causing it to be faster", can you explain why the extra wave in flight helps hide memory access times?  Why is hiding memory access times a good thing for speed?

The new generation have arrived and they brought their own currency...
Ignition75

Activity: 462

www.dashpay.io

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 04:09:53 AM

Hehe I've read in many forums x11 runs cooler cause it sucks at hashing.  I'm surprised nobody has bothered to fix this until now...

Or perhaps it was such a large job to do properly it required some long term planning.

Do me a favour mate, "basically the same - the extra wave in flight helps hide memory access times, causing it to be faster", can you explain why the extra wave in flight helps hide memory access times?  Why is hiding memory access times a good thing for speed?

Because the GPU schedules other waves to execute while the memory access is going on. So you basically lose no hashing time. If you have less waves in flight, you can end up stalling on a memory access.

OK so why is this so? Because the GPU schedules other waves to execute while the memory access is going on.

Why would it bother scheduling waves if it can operate more efficiently doing things a different way?

The new generation have arrived and they brought their own currency...
1echo

Activity: 280

scams hunter!

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 04:25:29 AM

decent guide !

abora

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 05:21:27 AM

Are you saying X11 is better than other coin protocol?

Hityor_Petar

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 05:30:41 AM

decent guide !

Agreed. Enjoying it so far. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: