Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:12:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Decline in listening hosts  (Read 8580 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 06:54:34 AM

I'm not trying to win any popularity contests here.  Obviously.

Trolling in my posts on this thread is actually fairly incidental.  I expect at most a handful of people to contemplate my conjectures.  Mostly I expect pom-pom wavers to do exactly as you'v done.

---

Rah! Rah! Rah!  Bitcoin is awesome and has no possibility of any defects whatsoever.  Keep stacking!

There.  Do you like me better now?

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 07:19:39 AM

I only open the Bitcoin-QT once a day to download blocks and then I immediately close it.

Me too. Plus, I also do this...

I guess many people are running the bitcoin client through Tor, those don't show up.

... since I found out some people are trying to link your IP to all your transactions.

Actually, I really think that putting bitcoin behind Tor should be a "recommended practice" as using different addresses for each transaction, and that allowing the bitcoin protocol to exchange, recognize and publish hidden services should be a development of high priority.
People should not be exposing all their transaction history so easily...

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:11:24 AM

It is probably not prudent to expose port 8333 on an IP address behind which there are actual coins. If anything, people will start attacking that IP address in an attempt to get to your wallet. They may not get in but they will probably slow down your firewall/router especially if it is just consumer-grade.

I lease a couple of cheap $30/month VPS's to exclusively run bitcoind with maxconnections=200 and empty wallets. That way, I always have access to a couple of well-connected that I control and trust. My quiet clients (from where I do my real transactions, p2pool, etc) connect directly to these. Since other people also relay transactions through my public nodes, I also buy myself some anonymity with this setup. In fact, most of the transactions originating from my nodes are other people's.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 11:16:21 AM

There was the idea to also pay nodes with bitcoins.
I don't know if it was completely declined or just postponed

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
EhVedadoOAnonimato

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:47:08 AM

Since other people also relay transactions through my public nodes, I also buy myself some anonymity with this setup. In fact, most of the transactions originating from my nodes are other people's.

Just relaying through your public node is not the same as "originating" in it.
A hypothetical attacker connected to every, or nearly every bitcoin node would still see where the transactions actually originate.
Unless the "other people" you mention also do as you do, I mean, connect exclusively to your public node. But then they would need to trust you not to store their data.
Nunud

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 12:03:40 PM

Me too. Plus, I also do this...

I guess many people are running the bitcoin client through Tor, those don't show up.

... since I found out some people are trying to link your IP to all your transactions.

Actually, I really think that putting bitcoin behind Tor should be a "recommended practice" as using different addresses for each transaction, and that allowing the bitcoin protocol to exchange, recognize and publish hidden services should be a development of high priority.
People should not be exposing all their transaction history so easily...

I'm sorry, but how do you run a BTC client behind Tor? My Tor installation comes with a bundled browser, and from what I gather the only communications being scrambled are the ones the Tor browser makes... Am I wrong?

How would one (easily  Tongue) make MultiBit "speak" through Tor?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 12:19:13 PM

I'm sorry, but how do you run a BTC client behind Tor? My Tor installation comes with a bundled browser, and from what I gather the only communications being scrambled are the ones the Tor browser makes... Am I wrong?

You aren't wrong, but you can route traffic through tor using proxy settings as seen here. It is easy.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tor

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 12:19:40 PM

On ubuntu listen it is as simple as installing tor, making sure it is started, and the adding proxy=127.0.0.1:9050 to your bitcoin.conf
 OR starting bitcoind with flag -proxy=127.0.0.1:9050

Don't know about windows/Mac, but it shouldn't be too hard... Tor is for encrypting/anonymizin all internet traffic, not just for web sites.

Ultra-cool-tip of the day: you can create a server, which is _only_ set up as a tor hidden service. This means that you can only ssh to it through tor, etc etc.

EhVedadoOAnonimato

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 12:20:21 PM

If your installation is working, you probably have a Tor-proxy running as a service in the background. By default, Tor SOCKS port is 9050, so normally all you have to do is configure your client to use as SOCKS proxy "localhost:9050".
Attention though: it's important that your client doesn't leak your identity through the communication, or by opening a listening port. Satoshi's client is designed to support Tor, so the devs take the necessary care for it not to happen. I suppose MultiBit's developers do the same, but you'd better ask them to be sure. (btw, that's why the tor people release a browser bundle, to make sure the browser does not leak your identity)
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 12:29:00 PM

I'm not trying to win any popularity contests here.  Obviously.

Trolling in my posts on this thread is actually fairly incidental.  I expect at most a handful of people to contemplate my conjectures.  Mostly I expect pom-pom wavers to do exactly as you'v done.

---

Rah! Rah! Rah!  Bitcoin is awesome and has no possibility of any defects whatsoever.  Keep stacking!

There.  Do you like me better now?

Actually no.  With fewer and fewer nodes using IRC for peer discovery, it becomes more and more difficult to track running nodes unless you're crawling them.  So basically, a bunch of improperly placed doom and gloom.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 12:33:11 PM

I'm surprised by the number of people saying, even though they maintain the block chain they prefer not to run their nodes continuously. Why?

(I'm not asking specifically about listening nodes though, I understand there can be concerns about announcing your IP.)

It is probably not prudent to expose port 8333 on an IP address behind which there are actual coins. If anything, people will start attacking that IP address in an attempt to get to your wallet. They may not get in but they will probably slow down your firewall/router especially if it is just consumer-grade.

This doesn't sound right to me. How do you presume the attacks would take place? If they aren't trying to deny your connection, I'm not sure how it would have any effect. Is there a conventional attack that requires considerable amounts of bandwidth? How many different parties do we expect our listening node would be attacked by simultaneously?

Also, I wonder about the success rate of this kind of attacks in general. I run a listening node 24/7, and plan to continue doing so as long as the blockchain fits on a consumer-grade hard drive. I really don't expect attacks becoming a problem.

I lease a couple of cheap $30/month VPS's to exclusively run bitcoind with maxconnections=200 and empty wallets. That way, I always have access to a couple of well-connected that I control and trust. My quiet clients (from where I do my real transactions, p2pool, etc) connect directly to these. Since other people also relay transactions through my public nodes, I also buy myself some anonymity with this setup. In fact, most of the transactions originating from my nodes are other people's.

Good idea, but I hardly think such a setup can be deemed necessary.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 12:37:53 PM

In these times when nearly all indicators are pointing towards increasing adoption and growing economy of Bitcoin there is one important (??) indicator pointing down: The number of connected hosts.

According to http://bitcoinstatus.rowit.co.uk/ there are now less than 3000 listening hosts. I guess these are mostly people running Bitcoin-qt and with port 8333 open - mainly miners.

It makes me sad that this this thread has become so long without anyone pointing our two important points.

(1) bitcoinstatus' results are broken, and have been broken for a long time— if not always

The code that tracks listening hosts for Pieter's dns seed is currently tracking 22,624 IPs, and 22,032 of them with uptime in the last 24 hours.

Has there been a decline in listening nodes?  Maybe. I certainly believe there has been a decline in total bitcoin nodes from the time when we had the wild popularity surge a year ago, but since then we've managed to get UPNP working correctly and enabled by default so I wouldn't be surprised to find out if we really had more listening nodes now than we ever had.

(2) there is no reason to assume those listeners are miners. There is no requirement to listen to mine, and in fact the higher relaying load and exposure to dos attackers can adversely impact mining— prudent miners separate those functions.
Nunud

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 12:47:30 PM

@ EhVedadoOAnonimato, BadBear, kangasbros: Thanks guys, I'll examine all the info you've given me ASAP!  Cool
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 01:02:42 PM

All 4 of my rigs are updated and always on. Both my laptops run a node each, and my younger brother and parents across town have a node on each of their computers. all but my primary have a 0 Balance, but they are there doing their jobs.

do they have ports open to the outside through your router?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Nunud

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 01:38:42 PM

@ EhVedadoOAnonimato, BadBear, kangasbros: Thanks guys, I'll examine all the info you've given me ASAP!  Cool

Hey Guys... So I'm looking into all this right now, and I have a few more questions... I think I'll start a dedicated thead...
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 01:53:56 PM

This doesn't sound right to me. How do you presume the attacks would take place? If they aren't trying to deny your connection, I'm not sure how it would have any effect. Is there a conventional attack that requires considerable amounts of bandwidth? How many different parties do we expect our listening node would be attacked by simultaneously?

I know one attack involves trying to brute force the JSON password for clients (intentionally or accidentally) configured in server mode.  I can't recall if any countermeasures were added but if there aren't an attacker could generate a significant amount of bandwidth trying huge numbers of passwords.

Also, I wonder about the success rate of this kind of attacks in general. I run a listening node 24/7, and plan to continue doing so as long as the blockchain fits on a consumer-grade hard drive. I really don't expect attacks becoming a problem.

I do to, although that is just to support the network my wallet is on a outgoing only node which connects to trusted peers.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 01:59:19 PM

Still, bruteforce would only apply to hosts that directly exposed 8332 not 8333. But having a hidden node talk to a trusted node is a good idea anyways.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 02:39:44 PM

All 4 of my rigs are updated and always on. Both my laptops run a node each, and my younger brother and parents across town have a node on each of their computers. all but my primary have a 0 Balance, but they are there doing their jobs.

do they have ports open to the outside through your router?

Each is assigned to an external IP, if that is what you mean.

3 of my 4 miners are at various locations I work and play at. I pay any electric metered to them. my other rig, with my 5840 runs in my shed, with solar power and batteries in an inverter, its net connection is a tethered prepaid cell. My primary laptop uses a tethered cell for its internet and outgoing traffic, and my wifes laptop is on the home network, So thay all have unique External IP addresses.

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 04:18:53 PM

I run a node when my pc is on, it's easy and fast, dunno why more ppl don't do that.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 04:40:45 PM

Actually no.  With fewer and fewer nodes using IRC for peer discovery, it becomes more and more difficult to track running nodes unless you're crawling them.  So basically, a bunch of improperly placed doom and gloom.

As I suspected, you have no earthly clue about the dangers that I was alluding to.  Oh well.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: