Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:39:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Blockchain technology will pervade, but not bitcoin."  (Read 8894 times)
agustinfl (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 11:48:59 PM

I've heard that phrase thousands of times, and I've thought about it enough to be sure I don't agree.
Bitcoin is necessary for the blockchain to exist, without the incentive, there are no miners and there is no network to rely on.
If you assert that the blockchain will pervade, you necessarily imply bitcoin as a currency will too.

What do you think?
Mikez

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 11:53:56 PM

I've heard that phrase thousands of times

That doesn't make a statement true.

Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 12:23:01 AM

Don't quite really get the gist of statement. Is it that you meant to imply the word prevail? I would say blockchain is core to everything. The public ledger is what makes bitcoin unique. However blockchain technology can be utilized by any other crytocurrency or in other words even if bitcoin fails other altcoins utilizing the blockchain will continue on.

I would say here that blockchain is necessary for bitcoin to exist but not the other way round

Bit N Roll

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 03:57:03 AM

Yeah.. I think so too.. Bitcoin exchanges will also stay longer than bitcoin.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 04:08:28 AM

These ppl think they can just copy the source code and boom.... there go their "blockchain" technology.

Bitcoin is what it is today because of its network. Without it, its not useful or secure. Also in reverse, the incentive ecosystem makes todays price.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 06:37:08 AM

Post quotes. I want to know who is saying this.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 06:57:50 AM

This idiot wrote a book basically saying this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYJdOiLqSxE

I can't believe he don't understand that the blockchain can't work without the coin acting as an incentive to process and secure the network. This is the fucking basic.

devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:00:00 AM

These ppl think they can just copy the source code and boom.... there go their "blockchain" technology.

Am I right to assume that mentioning other blockchains that run on code written from scratch would look out of place here and I shouldn't bother with bringing that up? )
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 08:12:07 AM

Bitcoin is the fuel that runs the whole system.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:18:13 AM

Am I right to assume that mentioning other blockchains that run on code written from scratch would look out of place here and I shouldn't bother with bringing that up? )
No that would be a stupid thing to even think.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
devphp

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:25:17 AM

Yeah, I figured as much Smiley
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:36:41 AM

Yeah, I figured as much Smiley
The author thinks a blockchain is just a database sitting on a server.

devphp

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:39:05 AM

Well, he's right. I would add, the more servers it sits on - the blockchainer it is Smiley
AlexSm

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:39:53 AM

This idiot wrote a book basically saying this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYJdOiLqSxE

I can't believe he don't understand that the blockchain can't work without the coin acting as an incentive to process and secure the network. This is the fucking basic.

Perhaps he meant blockchain technology, as-in a similar kind of system that takes advantage of a blockchain as a public ledger.
PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:44:33 AM

Blockchain technology is a solution to trust a database without trusting anyone in particular. Cryptos ride on that system with the ledger as database. Blockchain technology is revolutionary concept, it can be used on any public data. So yes, blockchain technology will prevail and bitcoin may not, cos currency is only one of the many uses of a blockchain.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:45:29 AM

Well, he's right. I would add, the more servers it sits on - the blockchainer it is Smiley
You do realize that each server has a different database, right? The part that makes that makes each block special is the process that builds the chain. So no, it's not a database, it's thousands or millions of databases. His argument is like saying the internet is a BBS.

turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 09:04:27 AM

I have a similar view.
I am pretty sure, blockchain technology will be a big part in future technologies, but I am not sure if bitcoin will survive.
Speaking of incentives to mine: There could just be some servers around the world, which get normally paid to maintain their service. Sure, that takes away the decentralization, but decentralization isn't the only pro of blockchain technology, e.g. blockchain technology is also about not being able to manipulate data, that was generated in the past.

I heard an interview about factom the other day, which shows such a possibility.

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/the-bitcoin-game-2-factom
http://www.factom.org/

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 09:54:43 AM

[Stuff about an alt coin]
that takes away the decentralization, but decentralization isn't the only pro of blockchain technology,
Wow.

fathur01

Activity: 700
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 09:59:14 AM

Check out a recent video by CNNmoney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYJdOiLqSxE

"Author Jeffrey Robinson tells Richard Quest that virtual currency is the future, but bitcoin is a thing of the past."
devphp

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 10:12:45 AM

Check out a recent video by CNNmoney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYJdOiLqSxE

"Author Jeffrey Robinson tells Richard Quest that virtual currency is the future, but bitcoin is a thing of the past."

He's probably right about estimating the number of bitcoin users - "250k wallets" figure is much closer to the real number of bitcoin users (by my estimates 50k-200k real people behind all bitcoin wallets) than the 500k-2m number often quoted.

It's likely he's right about "virtual currency is the future".

However, those two ideas are not much of a revelation, many people could do the same, are there more videos of him where he actually tries to predict something more specific?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: