Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:09:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: German retail bank announces negative interest rates  (Read 2480 times)
adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 04:55:09 AM

Berlin (dpa) - A German retail bank announced Wednesday negative interest rates for big deposits, meaning it will charge 0.25 per cent to keep the customer‘s money if an account goes over 500,000 euros (635,000 dollars).
http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/german-retail-bank-announces-negative-interest-rates_361835.html

Another reason why Bitcoin is a superior place to store wealth

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 05:29:29 AM

About 10 years ago, I experimented with a negative interest personal loan. The person had little incentive to make payments Tongue

The reason I was interested in trying such a thing was to prove my Economics Professor wrong when he said negative interest rates are essentially impossible. Little did I know, I simply had to wait~13 years for actual banks to do it.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
nextblast

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 05:37:14 AM

Soon this will affect all non-bitcoin users. Bitcoin is not fad. It is serious future.  Cool
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 09:28:28 AM

The problem is that the bitcoin price is too volatile and the conversion rate to fiat is decreasing so end up the total value of their bitcoin holding in terms of fiat is still losing. There is still no strong reason to incentivize ppl to hold bitcoin.
DeadCoin

Activity: 1246
Merit: 261

★ Investor | Trader | Promoter

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 09:33:19 AM

Berlin (dpa) - A German retail bank announced Wednesday negative interest rates for big deposits, meaning it will charge 0.25 per cent to keep the customer‘s money if an account goes over 500,000 euros (635,000 dollars).
http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/german-retail-bank-announces-negative-interest-rates_361835.html

You're joking, right? Bitcoin has lost 70% this year, and it has volatility up to 15% a day. How is that superior?
adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 09:57:10 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2014, 10:26:51 AM by adhitthana

You're joking, right? Bitcoin has lost 70% this year, and it has volatility up to 15% a day. How is that superior?
No. I don't think you understood what I wrote. I said it was a reason. I didn't say anyone should buy Bitcoin, or that it had been the best investment in recent months.
What I did say is that Bitcoin is superior over this kind of bank deposit in as much as you don't get penalised merely for storing it.

fathur01

Activity: 700
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 09:58:07 AM

Soon this will affect all non-bitcoin users. Bitcoin is not fad. It is serious future.  Cool

The protocol is, maybe not bitcoin in its current state and form.

I think in the next few years a new payment processor similar to bitcoin will take over.
adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 10:02:48 AM

The problem is that the bitcoin price is too volatile and the conversion rate to fiat is decreasing so end up the total value of their bitcoin holding in terms of fiat is still losing. There is still no strong reason to incentivize ppl to hold bitcoin.
I'd agree, but Bitcoin is still very young. It does have this important advantage, though until regulatory issues become clear it will still be subject to the kind of volatility we see.

But, I'd also suggest that there are some broader deeper issues that come into view when banks both charge to hold a fiat currency and or confiscate deposits (as we saw in Cyprus).
Bitcoin does address some of these issues, even though it still has significant problems of it's own.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 10:03:38 AM

"this year this"
"this year that"

Bitcoin is not for the ADD generation.
Unbelive

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 10:11:53 AM

Banks need to keep your money safe. So is normal they want some fee for that. With Bitcoin you are the bank, so no need to pay yourself for that.

adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 10:34:47 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2014, 12:19:04 PM by adhitthana

Banks need to keep your money safe. So is normal they want some fee for that. With Bitcoin you are the bank, so no need to pay yourself for that.
It's actually not normal with a fiat currency. It might be normal with say gold, but when banks have the ability to create credit out of nothing, then it is "normal" for them to pay interest on deposits.
What is not normal is when a central bank (in this case the ECB) charges banks to store (fiat) money in an attempt to stimulate business. And this was the precursor to this earlier in the year.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 10:45:42 AM

You are joking right? You clearly don't understand the difference between the the fluctuating purchasing power of a good and actually losing the underlying as a cost of holding the underlying good.
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 11:54:33 AM

The reason I was interested in trying such a thing was to prove my Economics Professor wrong when he said negative interest rates are essentially impossible. Little did I know, I simply had to wait~13 years for actual banks to do it.

Negative nominal interest rates should never happen.  After all, you could just keep your money in your pocket or house.  Plus people are generally assumed to prefer consumption today rather than tomorrow.  It's interesting how this has not proved the case, first in Japan, where an aging population decided that the future was way more important than the present and now more broadly in Europe.

Good job trying to stick it to your economics professor though, those guys are often way too arrogant.
luckyluigi

Activity: 239
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 01:25:18 PM

That policy makes no sense to me. Someone explain why they would do this?
Bit N Roll

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 01:39:03 PM

Soon this will affect all non-bitcoin users. Bitcoin is not fad. It is serious future.  Cool

Ow... And what future is that?
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 02:25:40 PM

This is the first time that I have heard about negative interest rates. I would accept zero but no way it's going to the negative side. Even if you say you have to pay for employees, electricity, paper and other cost to maintain the transaction, i still can't figure out. If the money is lent to a business owner who can invest that would at least turn in positive figure. Unless the currency is already trash and the money can't even be used for anything.

yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 02:57:05 PM

I think it's not the only bank that has effectively a negative interest rate.

Many other banks don't pay any significant interest but have service fees that exceed any potential return on small - medium deposits. Explicitly implementing negative interest rates is a bad marketing decision by the bank. From a business perspective it's wiser to simply establish more hidden fees.

Of course the whole concept of interest is an idiotic one, that can only exist in our debt-based fiat money system.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 03:20:25 PM

That's just plain insane...

Nope, it's actually up 62% (compared to 2 Nov 2013).

The superiority point isn't about current exchange rates. If you store 1 BTC in a secure wallet, you will have 1 BTC after 1,2,5 or whatever number of years + you know exactly what the supply inflation will be. With fiat, you can't be sure of anything, regulators can surprise you with things like negative interest etc.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 09:55:54 PM

I think it's not the only bank that has effectively a negative interest rate.

Many other banks don't pay any significant interest but have service fees that exceed any potential return on small - medium deposits. Explicitly implementing negative interest rates is a bad marketing decision by the bank. From a business perspective it's wiser to simply establish more hidden fees.

Of course the whole concept of interest is an idiotic one, that can only exist in our debt-based fiat money system.

ya.ya.yo!
Most banks will actually not pay any interest on even medium sized deposits (anything under a few thousand dollars) if you have an appropriate kind of account for your balance. These banks will also allow you to avoid paying fees by meeting certain criteria (for example using their bill pay service or using your debit card so many times per month, or by receiving your paycheck via direct deposit into your account)
adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 01:25:00 AM

That policy makes no sense to me. Someone explain why they would do this?
A short time ago the ECB  (European Central Bank) announced that banks who deposited money with them would get a negative interest rate, so I guess the banks are passing it along. Here is the earlier announcement from the ECB. http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/faqinterestrates.en.html
The ECB have been pumping new fiat money into Europe but they don't want the banks to merely just deposit this money back into the ECB and earn interest. The ECB believe (or hope) they can revive the European economy if only the banks will lend money out to businesses.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: