Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:44:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are you obsessed by the bitcoin project ?
Totally.  Ever since I've heard about this stuff, it's like I entered a religion or something - 124 (48.4%)
Yes, I check the MtGox rates every 10 minutes, as well as twiter feeds and stuffs like that - 46 (18%)
Yes, I check the progress of the project way too much. - 79 (30.9%)
No,  I only check bitcoin related websites once a week or less - 7 (2.7%)
Not at all, I don't even know what I am doing here... - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 255

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin intrusion in your life  (Read 10498 times)
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:40:28 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2011, 01:02:20 AM by grondilu

I answered 'Totally'

Somehow I wonder if I'll ever manage to free my mind from this whole project.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:45:50 AM

i don't even sleep anymore
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:57:06 AM

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 12:59:11 AM

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 01:04:58 AM

Somehow I wonder if I'll ever manage to free my mind from this whole project.
You’re not alone. Bitcoin is way too exciting. Angry
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 01:16:25 AM

I discovered Bitcoins about six weeks ago and curse the fates that had previously obscured them from me every day. It takes me about two hours to drive the bitcoin related thoughts from my head enough so that I can doze off for a couple of hours each night, but they make their way back in and wake me well before my alarm goes off.

My co-workers must think I'm doing drugs because I'm constantly sneaking off to check my email notifications, the current rate of exchange, any bitcoin related news, recent forum posts, etc. I'm fantasizing about new areas of business that I might venture into, as well as growing my current intrerests. Every piece of news I come across makes me think, "How will this affect the bitcoin market?" followed immediately by, "How else can I acquire bitcoins? What hasn't been thought of, yet?"

If I was a psychologist, I'd be tempted to write a paper on this.

Still around.
dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 01:19:03 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2011, 01:58:23 AM by dissipate

I'm obsessed and euphoric. After giving it some thought, I think it is inevitable that Bitcoin will carry the day and bring down the banksters. It's exciting to watch it in real time.
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 01:23:37 AM

My job is about letting people exchange bitcoins, what else can I say? Wink
unk

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 01:32:19 AM

the psychological papers have already been written. the (nonscientific but still interesting) classic is of course http://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Popular-Delusions-Madness-Crowds/dp/051788433X. i don't mean that reference to suggest that everyone using bitcoin is deluded, but you might consider whether obsession is rational and what opportunity costs you incur as a result. the public is inclined to be less obsessive than the early adopters, of course.

but i agree that the technology is fascinating. the sociopolitical dynamics of the phenomenon are interesting as well, particularly the marketing of the technology by 'satoshi' as libertarian (which, when you review his original messages on the cypherpunks mailing list, was intentional and strategic). that could have gone very differently and was managed very well in order to appeal to one group of people who could serve as early adopters.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 01:56:08 AM

Yeah, but you just bought and let it sit there  Tongue

When do we get MtGox 2.0?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
PwrLeveld

Activity: 336

Computta Mine Your Own BTC

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 02:02:59 AM

When I decided I will start bitcointournament.com I haven't spent a day without being totaly concerned about bitcoins. Only one day did I not check the exchange rate and that was because I was on a feild trip untill 9 pm and I got a new gpu.

Dear GOD/GODS and/or MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS: Please let CHAUL JHIN KIM win the NEW ZEALAND POWERBALL JACKPOT. He will use the money to set up his own RESEARCH LAB and find the CURES for CANCER and AGING! He will release the CURES into the PUBLIC DOMAIN! (a la Jonas Salk) EVERYONE regardless of wealth will no longer need to SUFFER! CHILDHOOD CANCER will also be HISTORY! Thank you! - A Faithful Believer. P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray with me!
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 02:10:22 AM

the psychological papers have already been written. the (nonscientific but still interesting) classic is of course http://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Popular-Delusions-Madness-Crowds/dp/051788433X. i don't mean that reference to suggest that everyone using bitcoin is deluded, but you might consider whether obsession is rational and what opportunity costs you incur as a result. the public is inclined to be less obsessive than the early adopters, of course.

but i agree that the technology is fascinating. the sociopolitical dynamics of the phenomenon are interesting as well, particularly the marketing of the technology by 'satoshi' as libertarian (which, when you review his original messages on the cypherpunks mailing list, was intentional and strategic). that could have gone very differently and was managed very well in order to appeal to one group of people who could serve as early adopters.

I wonder what opportunity costs you incur as a result of posting on this forum.
unk

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 02:34:44 AM

you mean me personally? not much yet. this is my tenth post!

if you mean the generic 'you', i'm not a hyper-rationalist. the forum's social, and that's fine. it doesn't need to be obviously productive.

obsessive checking of prices that you don't intend immediately to trade upon, though, is probably counterproductive. that is, it is probably worse than a waste of time. i say that knowing that it won't change anyone's behaviour, for obsessive forces are strong, as i am all too well aware personally.
rezin777

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 02:47:13 AM

you mean me personally? not much yet. this is my tenth post!

I don't mean the generic you. Your posts suggest more reading than posting, and you only post in certain discussions. Also, your posts have a common theme. Do you agree?
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 02:51:09 AM

I have seen new features added such as Dwolla and API related stuff.  Also I can imagine just the growth and dealing with the DDOS attacks has kept Tux busy. 

I would like to see more shopping cart interfaces to mtgox, though that does not necessarily fall into mtgox's responsibility to implement them. 

unk

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 02:54:42 AM

yes, more reading than posting would be a good rule for everyone, wouldn't it?

and surely everyone posts only in certain discussions. i wasn't aware i had a common 'theme', but i haven't thought much about it. i've posted in some technical discussions, some economic ones, and some frivolous ones. how many more could i have done? the pigeonhole principle would shortly get in the way!

maybe we need some wordsworth in this discussion:

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
rezin777

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 03:28:20 AM

yes, more reading than posting would be a good rule for everyone, wouldn't it?

Indeed.

and surely everyone posts only in certain discussions. i wasn't aware i had a common 'theme', but i haven't thought much about it. i've posted in some technical discussions, some economic ones, and some frivolous ones. how many more could i have done? the pigeonhole principle would shortly get in the way!

Ahh, it wasn't the location of your posts that lead me to such a conclusion, it was the content.

maybe we need some wordsworth in this discussion:

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!

Very nice.

My heart yearns to be free;
Alas, it can never be.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 03:35:35 AM

I have seen new features added such as Dwolla and API related stuff.  Also I can imagine just the growth and dealing with the DDOS attacks has kept Tux busy. 

I would like to see more shopping cart interfaces to mtgox, though that does not necessarily fall into mtgox's responsibility to implement them. 

I has half serious half sarcastic. I know he's been busy and is adding important things. I just want it to be faster, prettier and cleaner working. 

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
technotarian

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 05:20:57 AM

You make it sound like it was planned, or managed even.

What if it was just organic, inevitable even, that something like this would be a product of thinkers like these?

Rational is as rational does.

Not sure how the euphoria fits in here but the euphoria of scientific discoveries and engineering "IT WORKS" moments, is just as intoxicating as the euphoria of making money off a bubble, unfounded or otherwise.

Roll the two together and you got a heady brew!
unk

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 05:25:05 AM

You make it sound like it was planned, or managed even.

satoshi's early messages to cypherpunks are informative. there was a discussion of how bitcoin could be marketed to libertarians there, compared to alternatives (e.g., ones that relied on altrustically motivated groups).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: