Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:22:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are you obsessed by the bitcoin project ?
Totally.  Ever since I've heard about this stuff, it's like I entered a religion or something - 124 (48.4%)
Yes, I check the MtGox rates every 10 minutes, as well as twiter feeds and stuffs like that - 46 (18%)
Yes, I check the progress of the project way too much. - 79 (30.9%)
No,  I only check bitcoin related websites once a week or less - 7 (2.7%)
Not at all, I don't even know what I am doing here... - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 255

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin intrusion in your life  (Read 10497 times)
unk

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 06:37:29 AM

I'm pretty sure you're way off on that one. I'm not sure of Kiba's age, but I'm pretty certain he's not from the U.S., and English isn't his first language. Perhaps that is why you get the impression that he is young?

no, that's what's tricky about it. he's definitely spent significant time in america, probably most of his life, but what you're suggesting is why i left the possibility of immigration or immigrant parents open. it's an unusual hybrid, statistically. i very much doubt he's even a recent immigrant to america, however. i'd call him 'mostly american'.

sorry, kiba, if the personal attention is unwanted! i just think it's interesting.

I'm curious what your intuition says about me.

for you, my sense unfortunately doesn't go much beyond 'white american', likely not from the american south, but not from the northeast or west either. american midwest, probably. likely raised american upper-middle-class, but that's sometimes hard to say; i just strongly doubt your parents were poor. college educated, not a kid. long-committed libertarian, very much of the george lakoff 'daddy' type (though of course that characterises most people here, and most libertarians, very strongly, almost by definition).

i'm not always right. i wouldn't have guessed jaime frontero was 60, for example. certain patterns stand out, though. for example, i get a good read on people like cypherdoc (i could likely guess his american state, age, politics, and educational background) and a very indefinite read on someone like eMansipator. also, some superficial things just leak but don't say much about individuals; for example, it's clear to me that both mike hearn and bytecoin are british-educated and probably british-born, but i can't tell much about their personality traits. (i'd hazard a guess that bytecoin is oxbridge and mike is not.)

it's interesting how much information people sometimes leak without realising it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:44:57 AM

Originally from the northeast, single mom worked two jobs, self educated, hadn't even though about politics until a few years ago, at which point I rapidly progressed through liberalism and libertarianism. My current social philosophy is anarchism, more specifically a voluntarism/anarchism without adjectives.

Also, not sure what you mean by "daddy type", but I don't get along with my dad's side of the family.

Nice try, but I think you're overconfident in your abilities.
CoinMan

Activity: 104

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 08:00:17 AM

Totally

Addicted

If I'm not staring at a realtime chart, poking through this forum, fixing mining rigs, ordering new parts, searching for new parts or on bitcoin-otc or something bitcoin related then my eyes are closed.

With my eyes closed I can still see my candlestick chart and the last ticker price of BTC as I doze off.  When I wake up I make a wager with myself about how much a bitcoin is now worth on mtgox.  When I lose, I pay myself in bitcoin and the bitcoin client even tells me that I just sent money to myself.  If I'm right, I just buy more bitcoin.

....and the NAMECOIN....don't even get me started there...

Help me.

Please.

My Bitcoin Identity
Bitcoin: 183DFFQXR4xCyseBXzmh3XWc22izDWE5Dw
unk

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:04:15 PM

Originally from the northeast, single mom worked two jobs, self educated, hadn't even though about politics until a few years ago

some of that's actually quite surprising to me, both intuitively and statistically. very few people who write like you are entirely self-educated after american high school, for example.

but like i said, i'm not always right. for what it's worth, i wouldn't have been confident enough to make these guesses about you except at your prompting. i'd still bet on what i concluded about kiba; i wouldn't bet on what i guessed about you.

i'm still curious if i'm in fact actually right about kiba, but in case he doesn't want to say, i'll try to redeem my predictive abilities in your eyes with some guesses about cypherdoc: older than the typical 'young' crowd here, white, male, spent at least substantial time in california, probably a doctor or dentist (though his username alone suggests that) in a small or individual practice (rather than a large hospital or large group practice) and willing to draw significant income from cosmetic or otherwise optional procedures (that is, it would be surprising to me if he were an orthopedic surgeon or a cardiologist, rather than a plastic surgeon or someone who did lasik treatments, microdermabrasions, or laser hair removal).

Also, not sure what you mean by "daddy type", but I don't get along with my dad's side of the family.

no, it's nothing to do with personal family. it's a fundamental outlook that underlies some political beliefs in many people. it's characterised by propositions like 'the world is a harsh place. life is properly a struggle. individuals are responsible for what they do and shouldn't expect much from others. people are fundamentally selfish.'
MacFall

Agorist

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 04:58:04 PM

I know what they believe in theory. In practice they tend to be gun toting assholes whose world outlook is "Got mine, fuck you", which they justify with an ethical philosophy they call 'Libertarianism'.

Well, you haven't met many of us, then. The libertarians I know are the most generous and compassionate people I know, which is why they reject the political violence that people like you adore so much. I wouldn't hang out with people who had the attitude you suspect us as having.

Funny - you are applying a wildly inaccurate caricatured view of libertarians, but you certainly have the elitist, holier-than-thou snobbery of progressivism down pat. Unlike you, however, I wouldn't suspect all progressives as having the same attitude. In fact, I don't think you actually believe what you're saying either. It's just too absurd. Thus I name you "troll" and end our conversation.

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP
Insti

Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:32:42 PM

On the internet unk knows you're a dog.

Gotta go, my owner just got home.
Phenomenon

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 08:00:55 PM

Bitcoin is climin' in ur windoze
Frozenlock

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 04:54:56 AM

I'm starting to believe the year 2009 should be the new year 0.

technotarian

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 01:59:13 AM

Totally

Addicted

If I'm not staring at a realtime chart, poking through this forum, fixing mining rigs, ordering new parts, searching for new parts or on bitcoin-otc or something bitcoin related then my eyes are closed.

With my eyes closed I can still see my candlestick chart and the last ticker price of BTC as I doze off.  When I wake up I make a wager with myself about how much a bitcoin is now worth on mtgox.  When I lose, I pay myself in bitcoin and the bitcoin client even tells me that I just sent money to myself.  If I'm right, I just buy more bitcoin.

....and the NAMECOIN....don't even get me started there...

Help me.

Please.

A v. wise man once said:

".... the LOVE of money is the root of all evil ... "

.... bitcoin, it is not what you think, or hope, it is. Take some days off, think about your life, get your affairs in order.
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 02:03:03 AM

A v. wise man once said:

".... the LOVE of money is the root of all evil ... "

Then another wise man countered with:

".... the LACK of money is the root of all evil ... "

kroptofer

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 12:07:12 PM

ברוך אתה הביתקוין אלהינו מלך העולם

Baruch Atah Ha'Bitcoin, Eloheinu Melech Ha-Olam
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 12:38:45 PM

It's snatchin' yo people up.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
BitterTea

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 02:43:03 PM

It's snatchin' yo people up.

Hide yo keys, hide yo wifi
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: