Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:12:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Original Bitcoin client is painfully slow  (Read 1895 times)
minerguy (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 09:08:53 AM

Ok, I'm fairly new to Bitcoin and I have a question about the original Bitcoin client.
Is it normal that it takes days to initially download the blockchain when you first start the Bitcoin client.
The first 100000 Blocks downloaded fairly "quick" (took some hours though). But now I'm getting only about one or two blocks per minute?
Is this normal behaviour?
Btw. I'm using Windows XP, but my computer is fairly decent 4 Gigs of RAM and 3 Ghz Quadcore.
Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
swissmate

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 09:17:19 AM

Yep, it's normal
minerguy (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 09:21:16 AM

Ok thanks, is there any explanation for this behaviour? Alternative Clients like multibit don't seem to have that problem.
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 09:34:14 AM

The download itself wouldn't be the real issue here (for now), but what takes time is the verification of every transaction.
You could instead fetch a nightly snapshot of the blockchain and start your client with -rescan to get close to the current block count.

There's some more info on the forum about this:
eg https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84128.0
and of course my recent thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84177.0

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 09:38:15 AM

There is no need to do -rescan anymore. It's done automatically if the blkindex.dat is missing or if you change the wallet.dat. Or at least that's what I was told Roll Eyes
minerguy (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 09:49:51 AM

The download itself wouldn't be the real issue here (for now), but what takes time is the verification of every transaction.
You could instead fetch a nightly snapshot of the blockchain and start your client with -rescan to get close to the current block count.

There's some more info on the forum about this:
eg https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84128.0
and of course my recent thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84177.0

Thanks, I will try that, at the current speed it will take me weeks to download the whole blockchain Shocked
forsight

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 10:40:21 AM

Shouldn't take that long, I can grab it in an hour or two if I have to download the entire chain. Maybe find someone who has uploaded a somewhat current chain somewhere and download it normally.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 04:49:30 PM

C'mon guys, the problem is not the download speed

The problem is verifying the blocks. Check how much your hard disk is working, it's checking everything and it is the bottleneck.

On a SSD it would be much more faster

Faisal7

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 06:29:16 PM

this brings up another problem with bitcoin, it's too technical and that puts people off believe it or not.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 06:41:15 PM

Relevant thread:

Howto: New Bitcoin installation? Slow block downloading? Missing transactions?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 06:46:13 PM

Get a good headstart on the block chain here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
ludo0777

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 07:09:22 PM

Ok, I'm fairly new to Bitcoin and I have a question about the original Bitcoin client.
Is it normal that it takes days to initially download the blockchain when you first start the Bitcoin client.
The first 100000 Blocks downloaded fairly "quick" (took some hours though). But now I'm getting only about one or two blocks per minute?
Is this normal behaviour?
Btw. I'm using Windows XP, but my computer is fairly decent 4 Gigs of RAM and 3 Ghz Quadcore.
Thanks.

It does take ages, but it is worth it Smiley
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 08:51:24 PM

For small amounts of BTC and an inexperienced user (perhaps the "put-off" users), an online wallet like the one provided by blockchain.info may be better. No downloading, no verifying, no wallet.dat stealers, accessible anywhere, and you can still send your large amounts to offline storage.
minerguy (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 10:41:35 AM

Thanks again for all the help.
Faisal7

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 01:22:13 AM

For small amounts of BTC and an inexperienced user (perhaps the "put-off" users), an online wallet like the one provided by blockchain.info may be better. No downloading, no verifying, no wallet.dat stealers, accessible anywhere, and you can still send your large amounts to offline storage.

yeah I just created mine. now I'm more comfortable using these stupid fucking Bitcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: