Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:11:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My first mining rig and problems  (Read 813 times)
Hyper 1 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 02:39:14 PM

Hi All,
I am sure that some people have builds that go just fine and others seem to have nothing but problems, I seem to have fallen into the later.  Cry
Anyhow hopefully this will be of assistance to me and anyone else who has similar problems to what I am having, or similar ideas.
Hardware
  • AsRock 970-Extreme4
  • AMD Sempron LE-145 2.8Ghz
  • G.Skill-NT 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
  • Coolermaster GX Power 750Watt
  • 4 x Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5

So being an eager beaver I quickly assembled my new toy, with one GPU installed. Powered up and saw the Bios, first build of any discription going well.
Next move Linuxcoin! This had me stumped for a while I followed almost every guide I could find on install/setup on a USB and nothing.
Finally discovered that unetbootin-555 (the linuxcoin modified) would not instal with out the ISO file as I was lead to beleive. Then after some more searching I found out that I was not getting a complete download of the ISO.
Eventually though all came good, linuxcoin operational, modified as directed to start in Persistance mode. Not a problem.
Eagerly started GUIminer to start mining, awesome..... not a problem.
Shut the system down, install second card start the system
Start mining the first card....gold
Start the second card, CPU maxed out. The guiminer interface gives no hint as to the problem. Would sort of hang between connecting and mining.
To make sure I swapped cards making the second card the primary with exactly the same result. So both cards are working..... A good start.
So after hours of forum searching I am now stuck with 4 GPU's but can only get the primary one running.
What have I tried to correct this problem.
  • Unlocked CPU so I now have a dual core
  • Have checked that GPU's are recorgnised in the terminal window, All good
  • Ensured crossfire not turned on
  • Dummy plugs even though I have read it isn't needed on linuxcoin?
  • Accepted SDK License lots
  • Have not considered overclocking at all yet
  • Typed a heap of stuff into the terminal window that has been said to cure problems like this
  • Started from the beginning

This is me basically out of ideas now. I will persist and continue to search the forums but I think I am so frustrated right now that I am hoping that someone will point out how dumb I am by posting a link, telling my I have a compatability problem with hardware or that I have just forgot to do something simple. Maybe being a n00b to all this I'm am just going down the rong path to correct the problem.

I really want to log everything I do/try from now on as I hope this will eventually help someone else. Assuming I have a problem that someone else may have Wink I know repetitive information is annoying so be kind. please  Grin

Well if anyone can offer advice that helps with this problem It would be greatly appreciated.

I think one problem may well be that I just do this late at night when I may possibly be a little tired!!!!! not the smartest but all the time I really have.

Cheers
Hyper 1
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nckrazze

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 03:05:36 PM

I have been sent to convert you.

http://www.bamter.org
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 04:45:43 PM

Make the move to BAMT. Sounds like your drivers are out of date, and BAMT will fix this.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Hyper 1 (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 10:00:06 PM

Well off to work now and will try the 'conversion' to BAMT when I get home, will update how it goes or come back and beg for your help Cheesy
Thanks
Hyper 1 (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:12:01 PM

LMAO, just visited BAMT......The British Association for Music Therapy

Next time I will ensure I RTFS

Everything seems pretty straight forward, is there anything worth keeping in mind or a good tutorial worth following other than the one on www.bamter.org?

Thanks again
Hyper 1 (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 01:56:02 PM

Well finally wrote the BAMT image to a USB as per site instructions and no problems
All cards up and running so so easy.
When running more than one GPU do most people log all miners into one acount or have a seperate one for each GPU.
If I wanted to have a seperate one for each GPU how would I go about that? it seems to only have allowances for one in the conf file?
Any more help would be great.
Cheers
nckrazze

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 06:11:53 PM

Well finally wrote the BAMT image to a USB as per site instructions and no problems
All cards up and running so so easy.
When running more than one GPU do most people log all miners into one acount or have a seperate one for each GPU.
If I wanted to have a seperate one for each GPU how would I go about that? it seems to only have allowances for one in the conf file?
Any more help would be great.
Cheers

You could make different pool files, but there is no advantage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: