Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:53:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend me a Gaming PC + Decent Laptop  (Read 1104 times)
pissedoff (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 01:33:03 AM

I want a top end gaming pc I don't mind you giving me a list of components and I building it as I've been building my computers for many years but I thought instead of being bias and using only my favorite brands I would ask you guys for advice.

I want a decent laptop for day to day stuff involving programming & browsing of the internet.

I'm currently heavily working on a project involving the Pi which has taken up some of my budget in research & also time to research of the latest deals etc. That's why I'm asking you guys because maybe you've recently found a good deal?
Hackaday

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 01:35:42 AM

If you want a pre built PC rather than building yourself then I would recommend Vibox. Go check them on ebay or at their website at ebay they are much cheaper though. What project are you undergoing with the raspberry pi? I'm also heavily involved in modding & projects involving the pi and other similar devices.
petersiddle98

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 01:37:33 AM

I want a top end gaming pc I don't mind you giving me a list of components and I building it as I've been building my computers for many years but I thought instead of being bias and using only my favorite brands I would ask you guys for advice.

I want a decent laptop for day to day stuff involving programming & browsing of the internet.

I'm currently heavily working on a project involving the Pi which has taken up some of my budget in research & also time to research of the latest deals etc. That's why I'm asking you guys because maybe you've recently found a good deal?

Just make sure you have at least i5 for your CPU, 8G of ram and GTX 770 for your GPU and the rest is not important.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 06:45:27 PM

PC building guide: http://www.logicalincrements.com
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 06:55:14 PM

Just make sure you have at least i5 for your CPU, 8G of ram and GTX 770 for your GPU and the rest is not important.
I disagree. A good monitor and a PSU are your best investments.
SSD!

I would also stay away from laptops as development environments. Just use a gaming PC and you're set. Modern development tools don't hit your system as they used to.
Honestly, I would never buy anything more than 13". If it is to be portable, it must be portable. Not something "portable" because someone put a "portable" sticker on it.
pissedoff (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 06:58:46 PM

If you want something similar to a laptop for programming you would be looking for the raspberry pi! It's the best thing I've used for doing programming. (for the price)
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 07:18:00 PM

If you want something similar to a laptop for programming you would be looking for the raspberry pi! It's the best thing I've used for doing programming. (for the price)

not very convenient if you want to bring it to uni etc.
pissedoff (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 07:19:02 PM

True I guess thats a down fall and I didn't think about bringing it too Uni.
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 07:20:10 PM

True I guess thats a down fall and I didn't think about bringing it too Uni.

Yeah and I think the OP already has a Raspberry Pi. He mentioned some sort of project involving one in his post.
ern

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 07:27:16 PM

SSD!

I would also stay away from laptops as development environments. Just use a gaming PC and you're set. Modern development tools don't hit your system as they used to.
Honestly, I would never buy anything more than 13". If it is to be portable, it must be portable. Not something "portable" because someone put a "portable" sticker on it.

How does a good monitor benefit a programmer? Most are good enough, and the same goes for PSU's.

Get an Intel 4690k, 8GB of RAM, and a decent SSD. For the graphics card I would go with a GTX 970/980. Don't even bother looking at AMD, some of their card might look good, but their drivers(among other things) are a total mess. A 500W PSU should be enough, get one with 80+ Gold or higher and modular cables.

Case and motherboard doesn't really mather which you take. Although I would go with M-ITX form factor for those things. Bigger stuff isn't necessarily better and will just take up space.
b!z
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 07:27:53 PM

SSD!

How does a good monitor benefit a programmer? Most are good enough, and the same goes for PSU's.

Get an Intel 4690k, 8GB of RAM, and a decent SSD. For the graphics card I would go with a GTX 970/980. Don't even bother looking at AMD, some of their card might look good, but their drivers(among other things) are a total mess. A 500W PSU should be enough, get one with 80+ Gold or higher and modular cables.

Case and motherboard doesn't really mather which you take. Although I would go with M-ITX form factor for those things. Bigger stuff isn't much better and will just take up space.

higher resolution + bigger screen = more work space
pissedoff (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 07:31:35 PM

SSD!

Case and motherboard doesn't really mather which you take. Although I would go with M-ITX form factor for those things. Bigger stuff isn't necessarily better and will just take up space.

Multiple screens are awesome for programming I will admit that. Case makes no difference what so ever.
ern

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 08:37:34 PM

SSD!

Case and motherboard doesn't really mather which you take. Although I would go with M-ITX form factor for those things. Bigger stuff isn't much better and will just take up space.

higher resolution + bigger screen = more work space

Yeah, you might be right about that... I was thinking more about about color reproduction etc  Grin
Skoupi

Activity: 252

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 09:13:44 PM

Just check alienware... Their products may be a little overpriced but they accept bitcoins and they might still offer the 10% discount if you buy with bitcoins.
Watsky

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 09:26:00 PM

Just check alienware... Their products may be a little overpriced but they accept bitcoins and they might still offer the 10% discount if you buy with bitcoins.

Even with that 10% discount you can get a equally good as computer for a few hundred dollars less....your paying for the name and I would recommend anyone to steer clear of Alienware.
V@n@dis

Activity: 41

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 12:29:54 AM

For the laptop part I really like was asus has been producing for the last years. Take a look at their zenbook.
Snipe85

Activity: 756

Infleum

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 01:01:00 AM

What's the price limit? You can get a great gaming pc for $1k, but it can cost you $3k if you really want an overkill.
My choice for a gaming PC would be i5 4690k, 16GB RAM, fast GPU like R9 290x, SSD and a good LCD, preferably one of those 1ms like ASUS VG248QE.
You also have to get good peripherials, theres nothing worse than buying the cheapest mouse and keyboard that can ruin the experience. Wink

b!z
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 01:03:33 AM

For the laptop part I really like was asus has been producing for the last years. Take a look at their zenbook.

Surface is also really cool for work.
hamza171

Activity: 249

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 02:48:55 AM

I know the laptop wont compare but why not just ditch the gaming desktop and get a top quality gaming laptop.

Seems kind of a waste to have both.

If you need a laptop that can you can write code ona nd do video ect you  wont be able to cheap on it.

Really what it comes down to is the B word.... Budget.

What is it?
nathan33

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 04:13:45 AM

Are you interested in MSI. Here comes a new gaming laptop MSI GT72 2QE. It's a awesome machine
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: