Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:21:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D Solar Powered Rigs In Africa  (Read 1286 times)
Liberty Payout (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 05:45:19 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2012, 09:02:28 PM by Liberty Payout

What are your thoughts? I have already looked into investments, but want to do some more research and become more trusted. Please post and let me know your thoughts on how effective this would be, thanks.

Always willing to learn.  Shocked

For clarification, this is the idea I had in mind when I posted:

I know people that are in Africa, close friends of mine who are building a school with solar powered energy. The land is bought the school has begun building. Teachers and workers are available for hire. This isn't just an out of the blue idea the project is already underway I'm just considering whether implementing bitcoins into the equation would be profitable. It would also bring in revenue for the school and this is not a bamboo school for anyone who is culturally conditioned, this school will be solar powered and very up to date with the latest technology. So as of now I'm just looking into information nothing is set in stone and I haven't begun really asking for investments yet.

Still getting used to forum life so sorry if I am not always clear with my ideas/thoughts.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stick_theman

Activity: 372

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 06:39:22 PM

Lmao, in this day and age?  Have you calculated how many months it takes to break-even?  (solar panels, rigs, hardware, labour)  I would rather get a solar panel to power my own house, or power a Tesla.
damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 06:46:08 PM

I'd suggest looking at Iceland instead.
Liberty Payout (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 06:48:35 PM

Time is not an issue, as long as we break-even. Anyway it was a thought I am always willing to learn like I said so please keep it helpful and unsarcastic. You all started somewhere.
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 07:54:15 PM

well the question is, do you LIVE in africa, or would you have ot pay someone else to build, install, mantain and provide security for this? if you're simply after plentiful sunlight, africa doesn't have a lock on all of that.

the problem you'll have, even with low power fpga's, is that powering enough of them, their cooling, and internet access, all off solar/wind (why limit yourself ot solar?) is a significant invesntment in solar/wind tech. so, over the long term it's a great idea, as we see with diablod3 planning to do precisely this. it just takes a big slam of cpatial up front to really make it viable and pay off the investment in any reasonable time.

and with things as they are (the ASIC discussion and the end of year halving of value) there's alot of potential flux in the long term difficulty/price, so a investment on this scale has risks that simple setting up a few dozen rigs/fpga's in your home and using cheap electricity doesn't.

but, in short: it's doable, sure. just risky.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 08:41:08 PM

U CRAZY!
Liberty Payout (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 08:46:27 PM

well the question is, do you LIVE in africa, or would you have ot pay someone else to build, install, mantain and provide security for this? if you're simply after plentiful sunlight, africa doesn't have a lock on all of that.

the problem you'll have, even with low power fpga's, is that powering enough of them, their cooling, and internet access, all off solar/wind (why limit yourself ot solar?) is a significant invesntment in solar/wind tech. so, over the long term it's a great idea, as we see with diablod3 planning to do precisely this. it just takes a big slam of cpatial up front to really make it viable and pay off the investment in any reasonable time.

and with things as they are (the ASIC discussion and the end of year halving of value) there's alot of potential flux in the long term difficulty/price, so a investment on this scale has risks that simple setting up a few dozen rigs/fpga's in your home and using cheap electricity doesn't.

but, in short: it's doable, sure. just risky.

I know people that are in Africa, close friends of mine who are building a school with solar powered energy. The land is bought the school has begun building. Teachers and workers are available for hire. This isn't just an out of the blue idea the project is already underway I'm just considering whether implementing bitcoins into the equation would be profitable. It would also bring in revenue for the school and this is not a bamboo school for anyone who is culturally conditioned, this school will be solar powered and very up to date with the latest technology. So as of now I'm just looking into information nothing is set in stone and I haven't begun really asking for investments yet.
nedbert9

Activity: 252

Inactive

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 08:49:57 PM

What are your thoughts? I have already looked into investments, but want to do some more research and become more trusted. Please post and let me know your thoughts on how effective this would be, thanks.

Always willing to learn.  Shocked

Pretty prominent researcher at MIT is working on a home solar / fuel cell combo for developing countries to address the issue of the massive power generation capacity we'll need in the next few decades.

Currently at 80K USD for the combo.  They're working on making it cost feasible.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/4276071
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 08:54:22 PM

see, now that makes it a much more interesting discussion. one i'm not qualified to have. but interesting, still.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Liberty Payout (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 09:01:33 PM

see, now that makes it a much more interesting discussion. one i'm not qualified to have. but interesting, still.

Thanks for the feedback I will update the OP.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: