Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:32:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about physical paper bitcoins (you can buy them with paypal)  (Read 1404 times)
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:14:14 PM

Back to the OP, I think they are a worthless idea with very little real world application. Selling them for PayPal is an open invitation to be ripped off, setting up a system where you can be ripped off so easily will make people want to reverse these paper bitcoins, having reversible paper bitcoins floating around does nothing to enhance the value of any other bitcoin, and leaves a bad taste with anyone who touches them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 01:21:20 AM

Nope... blockchain.info allows sending from multiple addresses in one transaction.

Nope...is in response to what?
most someone can do is rip you off for the value of one bill
You can rip someone off at every purchase... hell if I would ever accept these.
Back to the OP, I think they are a worthless idea with very little real world application. Selling them for PayPal is an open invitation to be ripped off, setting up a system where you can be ripped off so easily will make people want to reverse these paper bitcoins, having reversible paper bitcoins floating around does nothing to enhance the value of any other bitcoin, and leaves a bad taste with anyone who touches them.
+1
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 02:38:10 AM

Nope... blockchain.info allows sending from multiple addresses in one transaction.

Nope...is in response to what?
most someone can do is rip you off for the value of one bill
You can rip someone off at every purchase... hell if I would ever accept these.

The ripoff opportunity is the other way around, the person presenting the bill gets ripped off, not the one accepting the bill.

The one accepting the bill merely scans the bill and initiates a "sweep" transaction to immediately send the funds to another address.  Unless a conflicting transaction shows up on the network immediately, it's pretty safe for the seller.

+1

And I used to do the exact same thing, I sold paper wallets for PayPal (notice paperbitcoinwallet.com forwards to casascius.com).  No one ever ripped me off, but there isn't a whole lot of demand for them either, not when you can just go print your own for free and not worry someone else kept the private key and is going to steal your money in the future.  My purpose in doing so back in the day was not to make money, but simply to promote the fact that bitcoins could be kept on paper when very few realized it was possible and before bitaddress.org came to exist.  People understand this now, mission accomplished, so I don't bother to sell them anymore.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: