Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:28:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin client crashes upon decrypt  (Read 2141 times)
ez1btc (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 09:46:41 PM

BOUNTY OFFERED

Whenever I enter my proper passphrase to decrypt my wallet, either from the bitcoind in Terminal or in the client GUI, bitcoin-qt crashes with no error message.

Offering a fat bounty to any devs or trusted members who can help me.

Wallet is encrypted. pywallet.py does not recognize my proper passphrase.

Offering a 20-50 BTC bounty.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 09:47:54 PM

This is one of the reasons the wallet file has no business being a DB!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
swissmate

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 10:07:45 PM

Did you try running pywallet on your wallet using this command? pywallet.py --dumpwallet --password=="[password]"
cytokine
Donator

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 10:16:10 PM

+1

This is something that worries me greatly... I have a lot of BTC in cold storage.

However, I have tested my wallet several times prior to doing the backups.
swissmate

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 10:18:26 PM

Also try to enter through the Bitcoin RPC

If you don't know how this may help
http://laanwj.github.com/bitcoin-python/doc/bitcoinrpc.connection.html
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:02:46 PM

Wallet is encrypted. pywallet.py does not recognize my proper passphrase.

So both the Bitcoin client and PyWallet can't encrypt it.   Almost sounds like possibly a corrupt database.

In your previous post, you had mentioned that you were getting a DB_RUNRECOVERY error.  Is that still the case?

i had the correct password- now when i try to run bitcoin-qt i get this fatal error:

A fatal error occured. Bitcoin can no longer continue safely and will quit.

EXCEPTION: 22DbRunRecoveryException       
DbEnv::open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery       
bitcoin in Runaway exception

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 11:22:50 PM

If you want to send me your wallet.dat and passphrase (please, do this securely), I'll take a look, but I still expect to find out it's the wrong passphrase...

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 04:37:29 AM

+1

This is something that worries me greatly... I have a lot of BTC in cold storage.

If the wallet is unencrypted, it's pretty easy to extract the private keys from a hex editor, even if the whole thing is corrupt (assuming, of course, that the individual bytes making up the keys are themselves unharmed).

If encrypted, it's probably nearly as easy (passphrase must be known of course), but I have never dived into it to know for sure.  The average wallet.dat is 99.9% fluff and 0.01% the actual key data.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
swissmate

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 05:52:48 AM

You still here buddy?
Does it work now?
cytokine
Donator

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 11:14:52 PM

+1

If the wallet is unencrypted, it's pretty easy to extract the private keys from a hex editor, even if the whole thing is corrupt (assuming, of course, that the individual bytes making up the keys are themselves unharmed).

If encrypted, it's probably nearly as easy (passphrase must be known of course), but I have never dived into it to know for sure.  The average wallet.dat is 99.9% fluff and 0.01% the actual key data.

Makes sense. I don't know much about BerkleyDB, but does it have good safeguards against corruption, such as using crc checks and transactional records?
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1170

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 10:35:04 AM

First of all, which bitcoin version is this?

Second, what error do you get before the crash? (look on the command-line, in debug.log, ...)

If the wallet file is corrupted at the BDB level, you can try using db4.8_dump | db4.8_load in recovery mode.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
ez1btc (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 02:20:10 PM

Thanks for the help folks.

When I use pywallet.py with the --walletdump --password= options with my proper passphrase, pywallet.py changes from a terminal command line to the characters ">>>" and it wont take any more commands and is apparently locked up.

I am no longer receiving a DBRUNRECOVERY error.  Cannot find any any error messages at all actually (even in debug.log), when the client crashes it just crashes.

Using bitcoin 0.6.2.

Thanks all
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 06:56:05 PM

I've confirmed the passphrase you provided me with is not correct.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: