Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 02:20:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Pay -- A Reason to Expect the Worst  (Read 2250 times)
Newbie1022 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 11:31:55 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-02/apple-pay-to-fuel-chatter-new-products-at-money-20-20.html

It's not that ApplePay is better than Bitcoin -- it's not. It's not that ApplePay directly competes -- it does not. It's that Apple has a tendency to absorb all of the oxygen of anything even within a dart's throw of it. Money 20/20 being centered on ApplePay rather than cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin is just one demonstration of how the show has moved on to the next fad.
biggus dickus

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 11:45:49 PM

Did ApplePay have a double spend problem? If it did it's bad publicity.
Newbie1022 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 11:48:00 PM

Did ApplePay have a double spend problem? If it did it's bad publicity.

Yea, but even my first thought on that is... well, so what... it is Apple, they'll get reimbursed. It's rather different than a BTC double spend scenario (which hasn't really been an issue, in it's own right, for some time now).
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 11:55:26 PM

It's one of the biggest companies in the world so of course there's going to be a splash. BTC isn't too far out of Steve Jobs's garage in comparison.
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 12:08:10 AM

Are drug dealers going to move to ApplePay? I don't think so. It's a different market, doesn't compete with bitcoin.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
biggus dickus

Activity: 310

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 12:11:58 AM

Most people I know can't stand iPhones, so none of them can use Apple Pay. I assume you can't use it on Android?
PseudoCode

Activity: 153

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 12:37:41 AM

Steve Jobs probably didnt *have a garage, and likely wouldn't know what do with a spanner, other than paint it white, add an idiot-proof GUI, Call it an I-Spanner and charge per number of nuts you used it to tighten/loosen with it.

Steve *Wozniak was the real brains behind Apples early successes. 

Steve Jobs was an overpaid egotistical marketing twat who was great at convincing Hipsters that  they were cool if they bought his products and being an asswipe to everyone who worked with or for him.   Jobs even lied to, and stole from Wozniak, his first business partner and the man who made their early success possible.

Expect ApplePay to work along much the same lines. 
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 01:45:54 AM

Steve Jobs probably didnt *have a garage, and likely wouldn't know what do with a spanner, other than paint it white, add an idiot-proof GUI, Call it an I-Spanner and charge per number of nuts you used it to tighten/loosen with it.

Steve *Wozniak was the real brains behind Apples early successes. 

Steve Jobs was an overpaid egotistical marketing twat who was great at convincing Hipsters that  they were cool if they bought his products and being an asswipe to everyone who worked with or for him.   Jobs even lied to, and stole from Wozniak, his first business partner and the man who made their early success possible.

Expect ApplePay to work along much the same lines. 

Jobs was the guy who came back to save Apple when it was near bankruptcy

You are probably too young to know the history of Apple
Newbie1022 (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 02:13:55 AM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-02/apple-pay-to-fuel-chatter-new-products-at-money-20-20.html

It's not that ApplePay is better than Bitcoin -- it's not. It's not that ApplePay directly competes -- it does not. It's that Apple has a tendency to absorb all of the oxygen of anything even within a dart's throw of it. Money 20/20 being centered on ApplePay rather than cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin is just one demonstration of how the show has moved on to the next fad.

People who compare Apple Pay to Bitcoin as though they're direct competitors are idiots that either don't know much about bitcoin or don't know much about Apple Pay.  Or they're just click-baiting with titles to get traffic to their sites/threads.

Apple Pay is to Bitcoin as a Car is to Fuel.  Would you talk about how some car is better than a fuel?  Google Wallet is also another type of 'car'

Stop looking at Apple Pay as the enemy.  What if Apple decided to allow bitcoin transactions through Apple Pay?  What if Google Wallet followed with that adoption?  

Imagine how massive that would be.  

Yes, in the meantime, Apple Pay will steal a bit of thunder from Bitcoin as far as retail transactions go, but Bitcoin was never that close to being in retail locations at such a scale anyway.  I think we need NFC payments on a massive scale before bitcoin can ever hit that many retail locations.  

NFC used massively nationwide, will most definitely be followed by bitcoin used massively nationwide via NFC.  The whole QR/scanning is a joke and too much of a hassle.  Bitcoin is too early and needs to wait for proper hardware to be established first.

Keep trashing Apple all you want, but they're seriously paving the way.

Reading... it's fundamental. You more or less wrote the same exact post as me and yet wrote it in contrast. dur dur dur!!
Newbie1022 (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 03:14:30 AM

People who compare Apple Pay to Bitcoin as though they're direct competitors are idiots that either don't know much about bitcoin or don't know much about Apple Pay.  Or they're just click-baiting with titles to get traffic to their sites/threads.

Apple Pay is to Bitcoin as a Car is to Fuel.  Would you talk about how some car is better than a fuel?  Google Wallet is also another type of 'car'

Stop looking at Apple Pay as the enemy.  What if Apple decided to allow bitcoin transactions through Apple Pay?  What if Google Wallet followed with that adoption?  

Imagine how massive that would be.  

Yes, in the meantime, Apple Pay will steal a bit of thunder from Bitcoin as far as retail transactions go, but Bitcoin was never that close to being in retail locations at such a scale anyway.  I think we need NFC payments on a massive scale before bitcoin can ever hit that many retail locations.  

NFC used massively nationwide, will most definitely be followed by bitcoin used massively nationwide via NFC.  The whole QR/scanning is a joke and too much of a hassle.  Bitcoin is too early and needs to wait for proper hardware to be established first.

Keep trashing Apple all you want, but they're seriously paving the way.

Reading... it's fundamental. You more or less wrote the same exact post as me and yet wrote it in contrast. dur dur dur!!

LOL, dur dur yourself.  I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was disagreeing with people who make that comparison.  Sorry if it came off that way.  The only point where I disagreed with you is:

Without NFC, bitcoin will not reach the scale it needs for mass adoption.  Apple Pay / Google Wallet must succeed as predecessors to bitcoin in retail.  You called them a fad apparently, and that's why I wrote more to explain why there needs to be a stop to this antagonist view of everything non-bitcoin.  I don't think NFC payments are a fad, they're the future before the bitcoin future.

Fair. Sorry for the dickish response now that I know what you meant.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3584
Merit: 5052

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 04:28:07 AM

Apple Pay, a proprietary service on a proprietary device that only 682 million people out of the world even own, to take over the world?  Compared to Android that has an install base of 1.9 Billion?

Yeah right.   Roll Eyes
PseudoCode

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 06:31:00 AM

Steve Jobs was an overpaid egotistical marketing twat who was great at convincing Hipsters that  they were cool if they bought his products and being an asswipe to everyone who worked with or for him.   Jobs even lied to, and stole from Wozniak, his first business partner and the man who made their early success possible.Expect ApplePay to work along much the same lines.  

Jobs was the guy who came back to save Apple when it was near bankruptcy

Yes, so ?   He did some clever marketing, convincing a non-tech-savvy market segment that his products were better because they were made to be simpler (by limiting your choices).   So What ?   None of that has anything to do with his technical ("Garage") Skills of which he had practically none.   So he made an unprofitable company profitable again, what has that got to with it ?

You are probably too young to know the history of Apple

Nice try fella, but, Fail sorry.  I was into computers before Apple even existed. I had a Kim-1 Single Board computer before the Apple-1 came out, and then a Trs-80 Model 1  a year later in '77.  I hand wired my own disk controller back in the days when floppy discs were $20 each and came in 8" and the new fangled 5 1/4" versions.   I remember Bill Gates whiny letter about piracy and built my own 300 baud modem out of discrete FSK chips.

So, I know my computer history quite well thanks very much and your sad attempt to make me look ignorant and young is so far off target I'd be embarrassed for even trying that gambit if I was you.  :-P.  

Steve Jobs garners *zero technical respect amongst people who actually know how computers work.  Its only the fanboi's who think hes awesome because he made them simple enough for them without having to strain their brain, and the biz people who admire him because he made a lot of money, like that is some sort of positive character attribute.  (which Jobs actually had very few of.  )

But to maintain my original point, Steve Jobs never actually *had a garage where anything awesome came from.   Apple I's were designed by Steve Wozniak in his bedroom, and they moved production to Steve Jobs *Families garage when they needed more space.   Steve Jobs garage inventions factor ? Zero.
telemaco

Activity: 371

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 01:21:44 PM

Seems Apple Pay is not even pseudonymous

http://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=26671

US banks are paying a high price for the privilege of placing their cards on Apple Pay, with the tech giant demanding not just cash but also detailed reports and analytics on card usage data, according to a leaked draft of the 19-page commercial agreement with issuers.
murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 01:42:55 PM

Overpaid?
Whatever you think of Jobs personally, or of his technical skills, or lack thereof, he made Apple hugely successful and made a fortune for its shareholders.
Whatever they were paying him, he couldn't have been overpaid.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 01:43:59 PM

Seems Apple Pay is not even pseudonymous

http://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=26671

US banks are paying a high price for the privilege of placing their cards on Apple Pay, with the tech giant demanding not just cash but also detailed reports and analytics on card usage data, according to a leaked draft of the 19-page commercial agreement with issuers.

Nothing in that story says that any user identification is passed to Apple, so how does that prove "Seems Apple Pay is not even pseudonymous"?

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
onlyu

Activity: 165

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:01:05 PM

ApplePay is complying with the law and regulation. That certainly is a huge advantage over crypto currency.
bit-o-matic

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:55:34 PM

ApplePay is complying with the law and regulation. That certainly is a huge advantage over crypto currency.

Advantage or disadvantage. It really depends on your point of view.

World governments are constantly loosing legitimacy. The reason is that free electronic communication (at least easier than in the centuries before) leads to exposure of the low moral standard of those in charge.

Complying with the current laws and regulations could soon be perceived as an act of high treason. So ApplePay runs an easy business only as long as the status quo is not questioned by the majority.
Dissonance

Activity: 167

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 03:42:00 PM

Anything that gets people to use mobile payments is a net positive for bitcoin.  Everyone in the industry will benefit , google wallet has been around for a while but is only now getting attention after apple pay.  Also, there is nothing to stop apple pay or currentC or google wallet from accepting bitcoin.  Apple pay is not in competition they complement each other.  Apply pay is the user experience , bitcoin is the backend.  Or to put it another way.  Apple pay is the toilet and Bitcoin is the plumbing.
PseudoCode

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 12:17:53 AM

Overpaid?
Whatever you think of Jobs personally, or of his technical skills, or lack thereof, he made Apple hugely successful and made a fortune for its shareholders.
Whatever they were paying him, he couldn't have been overpaid.

I agree, and withdraw the "Overpaid" comment.   As far as making the company profitable goes, he did a great job and deserves his compensation for doing so.

I still think he was a rude, inconsiderate,  pushy,  technically ignorant twat, Smiley 
But since none of those attributes prevent you from running a company and making money, (and may even be an advantage in many cases),  he certainly did a good job for the shareholders.

What its like to own an Apple Product Smiley - http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

OK, Back on topic then
Dissonance

Activity: 167

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 01:03:40 AM

Jobs made very little from apple.  He got most of his fortune by selling pixar to disney.  His estate is now the largest shareholder.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: