Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 08:42:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: blockchain.info mnemonic print option is misleading  (Read 2161 times)
KidPoker (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 12:13:39 AM

When you create a blockchain wallet it says:

Wallet Recovery Mnemonic
Your wallet has been created successfully. If you forget the details the phrase below can be used to recover everything.

Please Write Down the Following:

(22 words)

There is also an option that says print. The print page however shows:

Paper wallet

Login Link:
Mnemonic: (14 words)

Public Key
Private Key

I'm just getting used to bitcoin and decided to play around with blockchain. I decided to see what happens if I ever forgot my password and entered what I thought was my printed out wallet recovery mnemonic and it didn't work. After logging in with my password I went to the security settings and saw that my password mnemonic was not what was printed out. I didn't realise that my print out and what appeared on screen were two different things.

I retested this by creating another wallet and the same thing happens. The on screen wallet recovery phrase is different to what happens if you press print. Why are there two different mnemonics? The print out never works?
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 12:31:03 AM

Mmm.  I don't know (beginner, relatively speaking, myself).  I once had to recover an Identifier to get to my wallet at blockchain.info.

I was able to get it using my 19 word mnemonic.

I am sorry I can't help.
KidPoker (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 12:36:29 AM

Once I logged in using my password and wrote down the long mnemonic and tried that it worked and allowed me to log back in. The print option of the mnemonic however when you first sign up is wrong. I have no idea why this is.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: