Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:44:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100 (time sensitive request)  (Read 7685 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 05:52:19 PM

Firstly, I hope I'm in the proper section for posting this and that the mods/admins allow me/us a little latitude if I'm mistaken. This thread probably won't be up long (explained below), for I will lock it (unless advised otherwise), then it can/may be moved to another section. This paragraph may not be needed, but I simply wanted to make sure by expressing this concern(s). Thank you.

Please visit this thread to get up to speed (only a few posts). Moreover, it's this post that this thread (the one you're currently reading) that this topic is in reference to.

I propose that Bitcoin 100 transfer 100 BTC to the overseers of kenija2012.net ASAP, with the possibility of adding/sending more BTC if Bitcoin 100 happens to be the acting liaison after the initial donation is sent.

Although kenija2012.net doesn't meet the full criteria that Bitcoin 100 has set, albeit not a stringent criteria, I feel that in this case we can make an exception. Anybody who has donated to Bitcoin 100 and feels that they would rather not have their bitcoins go to this cause can simply state that intent on this thread or PM me if they desire their intentions to remain private. No questions asked or judgments made. THAT IS A PROMISE!

Full Disclosure: I have not performed any due diligence on this organization, sans a WhoIS search, nor will I, for I believe it stems from a reliable source. Anybody else is more than welcome to take up the mantle if they feel its warranted, then report back here if any nefarious information is uncovered.

Registration Service Provider:
Yola, Inc, support@yola.com
Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 18-Jan-2012.
Record expires on 18-Jan-2013.
Record created on 18-Jan-2012.

Furthermore, I'm willing to make up the difference and/or replace anybody's bitcoins opted out of this particular transfer. Perhaps, a user or two may come forward to help me offset this expenditure, but not necessarily required, for I don't foresee the needed sum coming up that short.

As seen in the title and what you may have read on kenija2012.net, time is of the essence, therefore I'm looking at about a 48 hour or so window to get this task accomplished. Please feel free to express any concerns, questions or suggestions.

Thank you.

~Bruno~
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 06:11:18 PM

Despite having already donated to their address I authorize you to use my 1 BTC pledge to the Bitcoin100 for this donation, and will send it to you no later than tomorrow.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 06:14:10 PM

Vuce just sent me the following PM (not privacy sensitive, hence the posting):

I'm at a loss for words. Thank you so much!

Miha

One thing members of Bitcoin 100 may desire is that the six people that we're supporting someway, somehow spread the word of Bitcoin 100 in general, and Bitcoin in particular. Also, if there's any way that they could spend their bitcoins on any product or service currently available, but if not, due to the current time constraint, again simply spreading the word would suffice.

Just thought of something. There's this guy I know in Las Vegas that sells shirts with a Bitcoin logo on it. Is it safe to assume that these six individuals will be wearing clothes during their visit to Kenya? What if...wait for it...all six wore a Bitcoin logo tee at the same time for a photo shoot? The more images the better. The images could later be used by anybody promoting Bitcoin, including Bitcoin 100.

Any other suggestions?

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 06:24:50 PM

Any other suggestions?

Yes! I have another. It just came to me that those six individuals may get bored on that long plane trip to Kenya. Perhaps some reading material given to them would comfort their journey. Moreover, when they get to their destination, they may still want to read some more during their rest time. Sure would be nice if there was some type of magazine related to Bitcoin that would fill this void. Imagine if there were, then further image a photo shoot of said magazine. Only if.

~Bruno~
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 06:34:16 PM

As one of the Bitcoin 100, this has my support Smiley

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 06:55:15 PM

I'm happy to contribute - but can you tell us more about this charity in English? I'm sure many people would be happy to support them.

Edit - I spotted the link - no need to explain again

Edit 2 should we use the bitcoin100 address or the address in the thread - happy to contribute either way.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 07:12:22 PM

I'm really surprised I can understand most of that website if I pretend I'm reading phonetically in Russian. Seems they plan to provide basic medicine, help improve sanitation such as drinking water, and provide financial assistance to those who are sick. Personally I am OK with this (glad I decided to read the forum today after ignoring it for so long).
As for other suggestions, isn't it blatantly obvious? Have them use a part of the donation to buy an Android phone/tablet (getting REALLY cheap now), some solar panels, and a subscription to Kenyan cell phone data provider for a year or two, set the phone up in a village, and thus give them permanent access to their own Bitcoin bank, where they can continue to receive donations directly, make purchases or run a business with the rest of the world, and as a bonus have access to the internet as a whole (Chrome on Android works GREAT!)
By the way, I am leaving for Vegas for a week this Saturday morning, so won't have easy access to Bitcoin stuffs. I'll have access to BTC100 funds, but it'll just be a PITA to use.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 07:13:48 PM

I'm happy to contribute - but can you tell us more about this charity in English? I'm sure many people would be happy to support them.

Edit - I spotted the link - no need to explain again

Edit 2 should we use the bitcoin100 address or the address in the thread - happy to contribute either way.

That's a good question! I suggest using the Bitcoin 100 address 1BTC1oo1J3MEt5SFj74ZBcF2Mk97Aah4ac, posting your donation(s) on this thread, therefore we'll have a better sense of where the funds came from, coupled with knowing where they'll going.

Thank you so kindly, dancupid, for your implied support.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 07:17:50 PM

I'm really surprised I can understand most of that website if I pretend I'm reading phonetically in Russian. Seems they plan to provide basic medicine, help improve sanitation such as drinking water, and provide financial assistance to those who are sick. Personally I am OK with this (glad I decided to read the forum today after ignoring it for so long).
As for other suggestions, isn't it blatantly obvious? Have them use a part of the donation to buy an Android phone/tablet (getting REALLY cheap now), some solar panels, and a subscription to Kenyan cell phone data provider for a year or two, set the phone up in a village, and thus give them permanent access to their own Bitcoin bank, where they can continue to receive donations directly, make purchases or run a business with the rest of the world, and as a bonus have access to the internet as a whole (Chrome on Android works GREAT!)
By the way, I am leaving for Vegas for a week this Saturday morning, so won't have easy access to Bitcoin stuffs. I'll have access to BTC100 funds, but it'll just be a PITA to use.

I was going to PM you about this, but now I don't have to. Thanks for your suggestions, Rassah. We'll have Roger Ver as a backup if for some reasons any funds need to be transferred due to your absence. BTW, when are you returning home? And make time to meetup with a couple other Bitcoiners while in Vegas.

~Bruno~
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 07:24:45 PM

I think I already sent 1 BTC there at some point, but here, have another 1.01010101

vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 07:32:27 PM

Sent 5, divide it between charities as you see fit. You guys are awesome!
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 07:38:42 PM

We've only begun! Please clarify the date of their departure. I thought I read July 1, but believe I'm now reading it as...

Purpose: THIRD WORLD KENYA August - October 2012

...on this page: http://www.kenija2012.net/stro%C5%A1ki-odprave.php

Also, I'll assume that Bitcoin 100 (linked) would be mention on the following if/when this comes to fruition--(We were financially supported by:)

~Bruno~
vuce

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 07:45:04 PM

We've only begun! Please clarify the date of their departure. I thought I read July 1, but believe I'm now reading it as...

The departure is in August but I don't know the exact date. I will get one of the members to the forum asap so he/she can elaborate on everything. July 1st was the date I set to provide them enough time to use the funds. This is obviously going to be a lot bigger than what I expected so I'm sure we could push that date a bit further.

Also, I'll assume that Bitcoin 100 would be mention on the following if/when this comes fruition--(We were financially supported by:)

~Bruno~

Yes, I'll make sure bitcoin 100 will appear there and everywhere other will (presentations etc.).
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 07:56:35 PM

The departure is in August but I don't know the exact date. I will get one of the members to the forum asap so he can elaborate on everything. July 1st was the date I set to provide them enough time to use the funds. This is obviously going to be a lot bigger than what I expected so I'm sure we could push that date a bit further.

Also, I'll assume that Bitcoin 100 would be mention on the following if/when this comes fruition--(We were financially supported by:)

~Bruno~

Yes, I'll make sure bitcoin 100 will appear there and everywhere other will (presentations etc.).

Great! We'll still consider it time sensitive. As you've read, Rassah has a Coffee Table Conference to attend in Vegas, therefore may be in and out of pocket during his trek, thus maybe impeding any transfer of funds from Bitcoin 100. He'll probably check in on this forum periodically, making sure to see if his services are needed.

What do you think about the Bitcoin logo t-shirt(s) and Bitcoin Magazine photo shoot idea with Kenya as the backdrop?

~Bruno~
vuce

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 08:00:42 PM

The departure is in August but I don't know the exact date. I will get one of the members to the forum asap so he can elaborate on everything. July 1st was the date I set to provide them enough time to use the funds. This is obviously going to be a lot bigger than what I expected so I'm sure we could push that date a bit further.

~Bruno~

Great! We'll still consider it time sensitive. As you've read, Rassah has a Coffee Table Conference to attend in Vegas, therefore may be in and out of pocket during his trek, thus maybe impeding any transfer of funds from Bitcoin 100. He'll probably check in on this forum periodically, making sure to see if his services are needed.

What do you think about the Bitcoin logo t-shirt(s) and Bitcoin Magazine photo shoot idea with Kenya as the backdrop?

~Bruno~

As I am not the one going to the expedition I am not really in a position to answer that. I sent an email to one of the members so she can answer everything. (btw, what do I have to do to get her whitelisted, just send a pm to a mod?)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 08:04:28 PM

~Bruno~

~Bruno~

As I am not the one going to the expedition I can't really answer that. I sent an email to one of the members, so she can answer everything. (btw, what do I have to do to get her whitelisted, just send a pm to a mod?)

I'm sure the mods/admin would have no problem whitelisting another HER to this forum. Might as well PM them now to insure it'll get done faster. And bear in mind that the main admin of this forum has vowed to only speak and write in French.  Grin

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 08:07:20 PM

Does anybody else have any other Bitcoin related props we can send to Kenya? We might as well get as much mileage as possible out of this endeavor.

~Bruno~
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:08:12 PM

As I am not the one going to the expedition I am not really in a position to answer that. I sent an email to one of the members so she can answer everything. (btw, what do I have to do to get her whitelisted, just send a pm to a mod?)
I'll preemptively approve this request. Just PM any online moderator, Staff, or Administrator once she makes an account and we'll whitelist her. If none of us are online, post in the Whitelist request thread with her username.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 09:17:22 PM

Im just curious, what spurred you to pick these guys?

(Forgive me if you've answered that already)

ty

Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 09:35:28 PM

Im just curious, what spurred you to pick these guys?

(Forgive me if you've answered that already)

ty

Charlie

Good question! I have not addressed that, but will now. vuce PM'ed me via a suggestion offered up by psy in this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64504.msg932624#msg932624

This was the first time I was made aware of this organization, though I may have read that thread when it first came out, but I don't recall, albeit it does seem familiar.

I hope that addresses your question and concern, Yankee.

~Bruno~
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: