Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:23:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if a Country go back to Gold (bitcoin) standard?  (Read 3911 times)
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 05:23:05 PM

That is naive.  You cant just say "oh you dont want liberty?" That's a strawman argument. Of course everyone wants liberty.  Marx wanted liberty,  Keynes wanted liberty.
If liberty is so blurry concept, the liberty of rothbard is the freedom to choose without stepping on someone else property. This is very specific definition, not a blurry one.

We already have that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nicolas Dorier

Activity: 714
Merit: 619

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 05:30:33 PM

If it were the case I would not debate.
I suggest you just try to sell one cheeseburger on your doorstep without breaking a law. I am waiting.

If you never tried to build a business and secure your income from tax payers, then sure you are in pony land. (Either that or your business is protected from competitor by the state)

Bitcoin address 15sYbVpRh6dyWycZMwPdxJWD4xbfxReeHe
twiifm

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 05:39:27 PM

I suggest you just try to sell one cheeseburger on your doorstep without breaking a law. I am waiting.

If you never tried to build a business and secure your income from tax payers, then sure you are in pony land. (Either that or your business is protected from competitor by the state)

Ive had a business for 18 years.  No problems here.  And a lot of business sell cheeseburgers.  Where is your problem exactly?
Nicolas Dorier

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 06:06:23 PM

Ive had a business for 18 years.  No problems here.  And a lot of business sell cheeseburgers.  Where is your problem exactly?

Because you can't do that with licence of government and paying them fees up front.
If you can't do business on the doorstep of your own house, then don't talk about any freedom to choose and non aggression.

I know that lot of business sell cheeseburger, but it is ridiculously complicated and impossible to do it in your own house legally.
This is the tip of the iceberg of liberty broken.

If you made the kind of business that can survive thanks to his customer, and not with special privilege, licence, and subsidies protecting your from competition, then kudo.
You are the only honest businessman I have seen defending the state.

WestHarrison

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 06:38:21 PM

Because you can't do that with licence of government and paying them fees up front.
If you can't do business on the doorstep of your own house, then don't talk about any freedom to choose and non aggression.

I know that lot of business sell cheeseburger, but it is ridiculously complicated and impossible to do it in your own house legally.

If you made the kind of business that can survive thanks to his customer, and not with special privilege, licence, and subsidies protecting your from competition, then kudo.

I think your overall argument is great, just that the example of cheeseburgers wasn't the best.
Nicolas Dorier

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 07:05:52 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2014, 07:19:47 PM by Nicolas Dorier

I prefer pizza or French fries actually. But it still applies ! :p

twiifm

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 07:13:28 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2014, 08:13:49 PM by twiifm

Ive had a business for 18 years.  No problems here.  And a lot of business sell cheeseburgers.  Where is your problem exactly?

Im not defending the state.  I just acknowledge that a state is there.  The state never hindered my business.  The competition however, hinders my business greatly.  Haha

BTW im pretty sure its pretty cheap and easy to register as a sole proprietorship.  So I dont know what complications you are talking about.  
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 09:38:18 PM

Does anyone have an idea on what happen if a country decide to go back to a Gold standard?

Imagine that there is no threat to this country come from the others. It's a middle sized economy.

Its economy would become strong. It would not be able to inflate there currency for obvious reason.

What are the pros and cons? A fly solo like this is even possible/imaginable?

I'm just curious to know what you guys think it might happens.

Weapons of mass destruction or terrorist training camps will be found and the country will be liberated, what else?  Wink

Truth is the new hatespeech.
BootstrapCoinDev

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 09:50:15 PM

Bitcon simply has the 'features' required. I think its more a matter of when society is ready for something like it, this bicoin crypto tech offers a true opportunity away from centralization. I made a more humorous post around similar thoughts.  http://servanlog.blogspot.com/... Also the loss issue you point out with a paper equivalent is still present with bitcoin. If people loose a wallet or  their key in some way , those bitcoins and gone forever. But thats ok as they are not sitting anywhere in the physical world to be seen and claimed, i dont think anyone would ever know there is no owner to those lost coins, but there will forever be a growing proportion of the final 21million coins issued that is 'lost'.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: