Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:27:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My mtgox account got compromised, what can I do?  (Read 4426 times)
EuSouBitcoin

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 12:02:54 PM

could just as easily happen again if you don't take precautions.
I'ld like to see some measures made for those whose account value is too small to justify the cost of a Yubikey.  

I'd like to see Mt Gox and other bitcoin exchanges offer the free two-factor authentication, Google Authenticator.

The following Bitcoin exchanges currently do offer optional two-factor authentication

BitFloor
Camp BX
Crypto X Change
Mercado Bitcoin
Mt Gox

I think this is a nice optional layer of security to offer for your clients. The 3 methods offered are:

Google Authenticator
SMS Text Message
Yubikey

Of the 3 methods listed above, personally, I prefer Google Authenticator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Authenticator

I don't like the yubikey because I don't want another piece of hardware.
SMS text message is OK, but I use a prepaid cellphone and have to pay for every text I receive. Being somewhat of a tightwad, I don't like that.

Google Authenticator works on my iPod touch and it's free.

If the cost is free even small accounts can afford to be secure. While it's probably best to just make this an optional level of security, Bitcoin exchanges could make it mandatory for accounts above a certain BTC or fiat currency balance.

You can't win if you don't play. But you can't play if you lose all your chips. First I found bitcoin (BTC). Then I found something better, Monero (XMR). See GetMonero.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 04:53:12 PM

I'd like to see Mt Gox and other bitcoin exchanges offer the free two-factor authentication, Google Authenticator.
As of a few hours before your post, they doWink

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 07:07:30 PM

I got hacked too.So did a new guy that PM'ed me.

This is something to do with MTgox  Angry

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 07:08:20 PM

It was a poor password choice.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 07:32:26 PM

It was a poor password choice.

Maybe so,but I use something similar with banks & had no problems ever.............putting on flame retardent suit  Grin

It just dawned on me that Deepbit always sends an email with a confirm link when changing info or withdrawing coins,MTgox needs something similar.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
EuSouBitcoin

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 07:52:04 PM

As of a few hours before your post, they doWink

Sweet! Ask and ye shall receive. I'm going to set up authentication now.

You can't win if you don't play. But you can't play if you lose all your chips. First I found bitcoin (BTC). Then I found something better, Monero (XMR). See GetMonero.org
ludo0777

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 09:00:08 PM

It sucks people are getting hacked, but nobody can do anything about it Sad so just try make sure it never happens again.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 11:22:47 PM

i use piece of paper and password kfdJO$3jO:CXZMnfkcxM$L#@:!
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 12:18:48 AM

It sucks people are getting hacked, but nobody can do anything about it Sad so just try make sure it never happens again.
Of course people can do things to prevent it, but sometimes it takes getting hacked to knock some common sense into them. Smiley

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 01:46:26 AM

Of course people can do things to prevent it, but sometimes it takes getting hacked to knock some common sense into them. Smiley

Well,with nothing backing BTC like the dollar or other fiat (police or fed gov think BTC is "play" money & don't care),you have no recourse in getting your coins or cash back.Its a hackers paradise (they can suffer no conciqences)& will continue to be so.Illegal activities are too easy to get away with in the make believe land of BTC.

If the exchanges were to make it mandatory for PW's to be ________________(insert digit amount) or something to that effect,maybe it would make it harder for hackers.Most folks aren't cryoto phreaks or super software savvy like alot of you on this forum.Sorry for me/most of us "outsiders" being so ignorant..............

Hell,even exchanges are getting hacked for very large amounts & you'll never see a penny recovered.Will the local gov come & help,yeah right.

Chalk it up to experience Huh You bet,I don't trust anyone or anyplace anymore..............My coins stay on my PC & if I do go to trade,it's only long enough for that trade............

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 01:49:39 AM

Reminds me, it's about time that I rotated my main passwords. I'm starting to use LastPass more with generated passwords, but the master password for LastPass is a few years old at this point. Although it is more than 20 characters with caps and numbers, it's still based on a phrase and doesn't have symbols. I'll need to come up with a suitable replacement.

Ghostofkobra

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 01:20:15 AM

My money on MT.Gox was transferred out ~2k USD on the 31th of may.

And there are no logins that match the withdraw. Did you check if
the logins to your account match the withdraws before you beat yourself up
about your password?

My thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=89142.0

//GoK

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: