Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:57:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is 2gb ram enough for Bitcoin-qt  (Read 2344 times)
Gameroid (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 12:52:23 PM

I know it's pushing it abit. It used to work with the odd syncing problems but now it seems I can't get it to sync.

I think the ram might be the core problem here is it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Seller

Activity: 567
Merit: 148

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 01:01:36 PM

I know it's pushing it abit. It used to work with the odd syncing problems but now it seems I can't get it to sync.

I'am pretty sure it has nothing to do with your RAM, I personnally have 3GB ram and Im fine . Sync => downloading the blockchain which is a 20 GB File as far as I know.
If I'am wrong , please correct me
Gameroid (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 01:06:54 PM

I'am pretty sure it has nothing to do with your RAM, I personnally have 3GB ram and Im fine . Sync => downloading the blockchain which is a 20 GB File as far as I know.

Yoyr probably right its just I've got a solid connection at 18mb/s.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 01:10:42 PM

2gb of RAM is pushing it on the initial sync. Also can vary by OS. And if you have swap on for example.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 01:17:05 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2014, 01:47:42 PM by Welsh

Syncing has nothing to do with your RAM check your bandwidth slow connection slow syncing and Check if there's enough space.
Currently blockchain takes 27.6 Gig of space.

Running Bitcoin-QT + syncing requires both computer performance & bandwidth. (Like many other programs)

2gb of RAM is pushing it on the initial sync. Also can vary by OS. And if you have swap on for example.

As already mentioned by Cr1776. You can try and optimize your operating system. I have got the client to sync on a 2GB ram machine in a Slackware environment. But, I haven't tested on any other operating system with 2GB ram. (Although this was a pretty minimal installation with only necessities installed & running with swap on)  

Other factors: Hard drive space.

Yes, you are wrong. However, you are correct that 3GB is normally enough.

Other notes: Checking what processors are running in task manager and killing non needed processes.
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 01:17:36 PM

Syncing has nothing to do with your RAM check your bandwidth slow connection slow syncing and Check if there's enough space.

Yes it does. Please do some homework prior to dismissing something like that. You do not know what you are talking about.

If you are running Linux, turn swap on.  If you are running Windows, you can check to see what else is running.  Ditto Mac OS X.

Edit: As Welsh said, bandwidth (and having a fast peer) is important too.  Future versions will sync from multiple nodes which should speed this up.
Gameroid (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 01:28:29 PM

Thanks guys I haven't got swap on using Ubuntu.
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 01:30:56 PM

Actually, what you need is good connection speed and hard disk space.
Gameroid (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 01:36:03 PM

Actually, what you need is good connection speed and hard disk space.

Got plenty available.
BiTJack

Activity: 806

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 01:38:31 PM

Running Bitcoin-QT requires both computer performance & bandwidth. (Like many other programs)
Ain't it common sense that it is required to run programs in any platform.

Yes it does. Please do some homework prior to dismissing something like that. You do not know what you are talking about.

If you are running Linux, turn swap on.  If you are running Windows, you can check to see what else is running.  Ditto Mac OS X.

Edit: As Welsh said, bandwidth (and having a fast peer) is important too.  Future versions will sync from multiple nodes which should speed this up.

Running a non gui program in windows requires ram too it's a matter of common sense that it is required. The question relates to Syncing.
Ram is only prior to running the program when you have a running qt no matter what windows will reserve the memory for it.
Yes, you can check and stop what else is running and what's taking more memory. In Op's case it's more than enough.
If the program is running fine and and you can't sync up it's either the hard drive space or the internet connectivity.
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 02:03:04 PM

For your issue, try turning on swap in Ubuntu, something like this:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-swap-on-ubuntu-12-04

I would use at least an 8GB swap file if you have plenty of free space on your drive, that will give you room later if needed.

As for BiTJack, you can ignore her/his advice, he is still are wrong and just doesn't know it.  First, BiTJack:
1. He isn't talking about Windows.
2. Windows has had *known* memory issues even with the 4GB of RAM and 32 bit windows - for example, see this https://bitcoin.org/bin/0.9.0/README.txt   
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-fixes-bugs-updates-block-size-limits/

There have been frequent reports of Windows users running out of RAM on 32 bit systems during the initial sync even with 4GB of RAM, let alone 2 GB.

"Ram is only prior to running the program when you have a running qt no matter what windows will reserve the memory for it." makes no sense.  RAM can and is allocated dynamically. There are many threads discussing the issue with initial sync and low memory on Windows and other systems. 

In short, 2GB is not enough memory in many, many cases for an initial sync.  4GB can have problems on 32 bit Windows also.

Running Bitcoin-QT requires both computer performance & bandwidth. (Like many other programs)
Ain't it common sense that it is required to run programs in any platform.

Edit: As Welsh said, bandwidth (and having a fast peer) is important too.  Future versions will sync from multiple nodes which should speed this up.

Running a non gui program in windows requires ram too it's a matter of common sense that it is required. The question relates to Syncing.
Ram is only prior to running the program when you have a running qt no matter what windows will reserve the memory for it.
Yes, you can check and stop what else is running and what's taking more memory. In Op's case it's more than enough.
If the program is running fine and and you can't sync up it's either the hard drive space or the internet connectivity.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 02:18:36 PM

Also check with your doctor that you have enough years left of life to download and sync Grin  Grin
BiTJack

Activity: 806

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 02:45:03 PM

Also check with your doctor that you have enough years left of life to download and sync Grin  Grin

haha sure will do  Cheesy  Cheesy but it's already downloaded and synced.  Wink and @cr1776 op specified later on that it's linux.
Was speaking from my personal experiences and as you said *known* and now i know too lesson learned.
Thanks for clarifying it.  Smiley
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 04:17:49 PM

haha sure will do  Cheesy  Cheesy but it's already downloaded and synced.  Wink and @cr1776 op specified later on that it's linux.
Was speaking from my personal experiences and as you said *known* and now i know too lesson learned.
Thanks for clarifying it.  Smiley

Hopefully no doctors are need!  ;-)

With headers first and other improvements that are upcoming, initial sync should improve - plus thin clients will help.
:-)
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2014, 04:56:06 PM

If you want to reduce the amount of ram put:
dbcache=4
in your bitcoin.conf.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2014, 05:03:40 PM

I think using 2gb ram is bit on the limit. But it should be enough with some additional tricks.

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2014, 05:09:14 PM

Yes 2GB of RAM is enough if your other processes are using less than about 1GB of memory (the client appears to use close to 1GB).

I have had trouble syncing namecoin on my machine with 1GB of RAM. I was going to try syncing with the block chain on a disk separate from the swap-file. Sort of overlooked how anemic my memory situation is Tongue

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
omnidoge

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 02:35:18 PM

Whoaa.. Planning to do btc mining but its very expensive. 2gb I think wont do it.
Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 07:21:48 PM

yes you need big ram if you want to run the wallet smoothly
database size is big and this wallet need to sync database and if you will run wallet with small ram then it will decrease performance of your system
axel2078

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 07:28:18 PM

I installed Bitcoin-qt on my iMac with 8 GB of RAM a few weeks ago and even over my 80 Mb internet connection, the sync still took almost 5 days.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: