Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 08:40:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Address of winklevoss bitcoins?  (Read 4424 times)
blackbird307 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 12:05:59 AM

Has anyone done any investigation as to what address this is?

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1303

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 12:11:03 AM

It may be two, ten, or hundreds of addresses.  In all likelihood they have it divided among many addresses.  There have been discussions on here about the address before and iirc no one determined a particular address with any certainty. 
BitcoinHeroes

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 02:26:59 AM

It may be two, ten, or hundreds of addresses.  In all likelihood they have it divided among many addresses.  There have been discussions on here about the address before and iirc no one determined a particular address with any certainty. 
Do you have any links to threads discussing possible winklevoss addresses? I would think they would have their bitcoin at an exchange with someone kind of insurance contract that would guarantee the performance of the exchange so they would not have credit risk at the exchange but could still have privacy
juju

Activity: 381

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 02:37:18 AM

It is more likely that it has been split up between a few addresses this has been discussed here for reference:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=332847.0
Pkuwag

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 03:50:49 AM

Did you decide to buy their ETF?
blackbird307 (OP)

Activity: 238

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 04:06:59 AM

The addresses mentioned in the article Juju posted recently moved all the coins, balance drop to 0. Though it's unlikely to be theirs for said reasons. But still interesting.

http://bitcoinrichlist.com/address/1933phfhK3ZgFQNLGSDXvqCn32k2buXY8a?charttype=balance

It's also funny how Winklevoss made no mention of ETF during speech.

I wonder if they sold in January last year.

bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 09:57:40 AM

I think someone would only store a large amount in a single address if he has even more
cold wallets should always be split, it is safer and if you want to use it,you don't have to move all of your coins
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 10:18:30 AM

I recall they've said before that they've stored it on a USB so you're not getting at it if it's offline.
LeMiner

Activity: 139
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 10:52:55 AM

I recall they've said before that they've stored it on a USB so you're not getting at it if it's offline.

All bitcoins even when the private keys are stored offline are still in the blockchain.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1303

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 12:02:14 PM

Do you have any links to threads discussing possible winklevoss addresses? I would think they would have their bitcoin at an exchange with someone kind of insurance contract that would guarantee the performance of the exchange so they would not have credit risk at the exchange but could still have privacy

The one I was thinking of was linked to above. :-)

Keeping coins on an exchange is always a bad idea since you don't own them. Maybe that will change in the future, but as also stated, they have them in somewhat cold storage.
deepestfear

Activity: 291

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 05:12:29 PM

I suspect they have sliced their holdings into 100s of small addresses

nor9865

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

If you think you know me.. Think again

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 05:32:34 PM

1000s surely. 100 address with a total of 150k would still contain 1500 bitcoins EACH! I would split it further to 100btc chunks, and generate 100 at a time with different computers!
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 07:04:50 PM

1000s surely. 100 address with a total of 150k would still contain 1500 bitcoins EACH! I would split it further to 100btc chunks, and generate 100 at a time with different computers!

Yeah, exaclty, I'm pretty sure it's split up rather well lol. 

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
axel2078

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 07:06:48 PM

Why would one need to know this? Are you planning on sending them money?

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 07:14:57 PM

All bitcoins even when the private keys are stored offline are still in the blockchain.

Your chances are 1 in 7.7 * 10^77

GOOD FING LUCK bud.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 08:21:09 PM

They were interviewed this week and said its still being evaluated for approval.  He intimated that they were running into some progress hinderances due to the digital / unique nature of the items involved in the ETF and the groups doing the approval having some issues, thus causing delays.  But that overall, the timeline hasn't become any longer or more drawn out than any other typical ETF evaluation process.

When asked if they're still buying Bitcoins, they skirted the question and wouldn't answer.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
segvec

Activity: 196

The cheddar breed jealousy

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 11:04:48 PM

They were interviewed this week and said its still being evaluated for approval.  He intimated that they were running into some progress hinderances due to the digital / unique nature of the items involved in the ETF and the groups doing the approval having some issues, thus causing delays.  But that overall, the timeline hasn't become any longer or more drawn out than any other typical ETF evaluation process.

When asked if they're still buying Bitcoins, they skirted the question and wouldn't answer.

-B-

I'm sure they are still buying up bitcoins on a daily basis.

▓▓▓▓   New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange            → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓   Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
evansearle42

Activity: 366

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 01:45:28 AM

-B-

I'm sure they are still buying up bitcoins on a daily basis.
Based on the long term trend of the price of bitcoin, I would somewhat doubt this. If they were buying up bitcoin then there would likely be more buying pressure then there is today.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 04:52:03 AM

Why would one need to know this? Are you planning on sending them money?
It would be nice to see them prove they exist before people go and put funds into their ETF.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2014, 05:33:54 AM

I don't see any reasons to be concerned about this. Plz let it be. And id they come out, then we can waste few threads on them. Wink

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: