Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:16:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] Exotic woods from around the world with Bitcoin  (Read 12566 times)
WoodCollector (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 04:56:25 AM
Last edit: February 04, 2015, 06:48:56 PM by WoodCollector

As the name implies, i am an avid wood collector / woodworker. I have been in the Luxury furniture and wood art making business for several years. Recently i got bitten by the Bitcoin bug and over dinner with my wife tonight we figured out that since Bitcoin'ers are all over the world, and love making bitcoin, that mixing my passion with my new obsession might be a fruitful and fun adventure.

What i am looking for:

Exotic wood from; Africa, Hawaii, New Zealand, Southeast Asia, Madagascar, India, Morocco, Laos, Central America, South America, and many other places.  
Domestic featured wood from the USA: Naturally Spaulted, Ambrosia Maple, Burl, or other "featured/figured" hardwoods woods.

What i am proposing;

In America where i live there are few suppliers that have ready access to a lot of exotic woods that i like to use, as where knowing people in the regions where these trees grow puts them within reach. I learned quickly a few years ago when i made a few old friends in Hawaii that it was 300% more cost effective for me to have them simply cut down a tree in the woods behind their house and ship me a chunk of it to the mainland then it was for me to go through a broker. A list of the woods i use most often can be found HERE and if you live somewhere in the region any of them grow i probably have a use for your services.

As most of the products i make are turned on a lathe, it makes more sense for me to have round chunks of tree rather than boards as there is a lot of work in matching grain when gluing boards. So literally what i am looking for is chunks of trees, or "logs" as we call them here. Usually 24" in length with an average diameter of 6-12".

What i would like do do is pay you in BTCitcoin for a chunk of wood that probably grows less than a few miles from your house if not right in your back yard and have you ship it to me. Escrow is required for both your protection and mine until we have done enough transactions that we feel comfortable in trusting each other, and any trusted forum escrow is fine by me.

A few stipulations;

1: some trees are protected in certain regions and not in others, i will not buy logs from protected trees in protected regions.
2: as freight charges are based on weight i ask that you find a dry cool place to store the log chunk for 1-2 weeks until some of the moisture drys out of it to reduce its weight.
3: If you have bulk access to a species of exotic tree, ( Like Mango wood in Hawii ) i am very much interested in buying bulk lots and having them freighted in.
4: On occasion if the wood i am purchasing from you is a higher end exotic wood, i may request a photo of the end grain from both sides of the cut.
5: If you wont agree to escrow, it had better be because you are sending me free wood as i will not transact in BTC on this forum without escrow unless i have known you and been doing business with you for a long time.

For transparency and to avoid answering the same questions multiple times, lets please keep communication in this thread not PM's for the most part.

ROFLMFAO - The bullshit faggot dictators (A.K.A The Mods) banned this account. May you all rot in cryptocurrency hell.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 05:03:09 AM
Last edit: December 18, 2014, 06:23:33 PM by WoodCollector

Wood species i DO NOT buy
Unless they are Spalted, Burl, Curly, or other highly figured form

Oak
Birch
Pine
Cedar
Maple
Hornbeam
Hemlock
Spruce
Hickory
Aspen
Alder
Ash
Basswood
Walnut
Poplar
Beech

i have steady access to them if i needed them but as they are not rare i do not use them often

Wood i will only buy domestically.

Plum
Osage Orange
Mango
Lemon
Lime
Cherry
Palm

ROFLMFAO - The bullshit faggot dictators (A.K.A The Mods) banned this account. May you all rot in cryptocurrency hell.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 05:25:28 AM

By chance do you sell items made from these exotic woods?
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 05:48:25 AM

Sure do, also make things custom to order, Vases, Bowls, Lamps, Tables. Even made a chandelier for a celeb last year out of Grade 5A KOA wood. Did you have something you were looking for? or were you just Inquiring as a generality?

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 05:50:31 AM

Sure do, also make things custom to order, Vases, Bowls, Lamps, Tables. Even made a chandelier for a celeb last year out of Grade 5A KOA wood. Did you have something you were looking for? or were you just Inquiring as a generality?

I would love a BTC made of some exotic wood...something to hang on my office wall or on my desk etc..
h0lybyte

Activity: 924
Merit: 511

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 06:30:39 AM

Do you have a site or gallery of your past work? Esty?
KrisBkiwi

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 06:56:00 AM

I live in New Zealand, let me know what woods you are after and I can arrange shipment when funds are in escrow.

I can also help you source from Laos & South East Asia as I lived there for a time.
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 09:27:30 AM

I live in Sweden. Don't really know anything about wood.

But let me know if I can help you

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 03:22:30 PM

I would love a BTC made of some exotic wood...something to hang on my office wall or on my desk etc..

Did you have a particular wood in mind? What size would you like it? What sort of budget do you have? I have a LARGE selection of woods on hand from something that would cost you $25 usd, all the way up to Bois de Rose which would run you about $500. for a 1 foot tall BTC. If you can give me rough dimensions on how large you want, and a budget i can send you a list of woods that i can do it for in your budget.

Sakarias-Corporation

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 03:28:44 PM

i can get you some Good Viking SWEDISH wood Smiley
PM for what you want and i'll check if i can get it Smiley

LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 03:49:06 PM

Are you interested in kiln dried smaller pieces of milled material at all? I have some Teak, Wenge, Lace, and Zebra Wood laying around. Most of it is .75" thick with varying widths.
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 03:56:47 PM

I live in New Zealand, let me know what woods you are after and I can arrange shipment when funds are in escrow.

I can also help you source from Laos & South East Asia as I lived there for a time.

I am always looking for Kauri from NZ, The living Kauri is protected, but fallen Kauri are fair game, and buried or ancient Kauri would be a serious strike if you could find some.

Any Burl from Laos is always a nice treat, although sourcing them is near impossible due to shipping, so if you have an inside track on that i would be greatful.

From the Southeast Asia region comes one of my two favorite woods, Red Narra and my absolute favorite wood in the world Beeswing Narra, i have found the  Beeswing Narra from Vietnam has the best coloring.

I live in Sweden. Don't really know anything about wood.

But let me know if I can help you

There are not a lot of exotic wood species that grow in Sweden. About the only one i have ever imported is either figured or burl Olivewood. If you have access to some i may be interested.

Do you have a site or gallery of your past work? Esty?

It's going to sound crazy but i have spent years building a sort of "brand" by being hard to gain access to, the only reason i get people seeking me out and paying top dollar for my work is because its one of those you have to know somebody deals. The more out of reach something or someone is the more desired their work is if that makes sense.

I do however have a giant collection of photos of my work saved, i just dont publish them for the above reason. i would be more than happy to send you some images if you are interested.

Are you interested in kiln dried smaller pieces of milled material at all? I have some Teak, Wenge, Lace, and Zebra Wood laying around. Most of it is .75" thick with varying widths.

Possibly depends on the endgrain's. Would it be possible for you to take a picture of what you have so i can look through it? Where do you live so i can calculate shipping if there is anything i am interested in.

sherbyspark

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 04:38:58 PM

This looks like a great thread. Wouldn't you need a lot of wood if its for woodworking?
How would you be taking care of shipping?
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 04:43:38 PM

This looks like a great thread. Wouldn't you need a lot of wood if its for woodworking?
How would you be taking care of shipping?

Yes, i go through roughly 1.1 million a year in exotic woods, so to say the least its a lot although sometimes a single piece of rare wood can cost upwards of $30,000.

Shipping depends on the quantity, 1 piece 6" by 24" is small enough to be boxed up and shipped via, UPS, DHL, FedEx or whatever is in your country. If you have access to bulk quantities i would look into the cheapest freight service i can find to transport it. I would by anything from a piece up to a ISBU shipping container load if the wood was right so shipping varies depending on quantity   

marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 04:47:38 PM

How can you ensure the wood you are selling hasn't been obtained illegally?
sherbyspark

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 04:51:07 PM

He is not selling, but buying wood from people all over the world.
Even if it was obtained illegally and he made products  from it,  I don't see why he would get into trouble for selling them.
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 04:51:26 PM

I'm from South Africa Smiley I can try to help.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
arvindr

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 04:57:48 PM

Not sure about the legality question, but just came across an article, about someone being fined from importing wood from Madagascar and India.
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-08-07/news/33083866_1_gibson-guitar-corp-exotic-wood-india-and-madagascar

WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 05:03:37 PM

If a wood species falls under the protected list, i would require a copy of the permit used for harvesting it, if it is protected in only certain regions i would require a copy if you were shipping from that region. If not shipping from that region, just a signed statement that you did not obtain the wood from a region where it is illegal to harvest.  

He is not selling, but buying wood from people all over the world.
Even if it was obtained illegally and he made products  from it,  I don't see why he would get into trouble for selling them.

Not entirely true, If i knowingly bought a piece of wood which is protected and did not have a copy of the permit used to harvest it, i could be in serious hot water. Gibson guitar and Lumber Liquidators have both felt the wrath of the Lacy Law which protects against import of illegal harvested wood. Although if i had a copy of the permit, and the seller faked it, although the wood would be confiscated, the seller would be facing charges i would only get a fine for possession of it which in most cases is rather small.

I'm from South Africa Smiley I can try to help.

You sir just became my favorite forum member, about 80% of my favorite woods come from south Africa. Are you familiar with your local trees and know whats legal to harvest or do you need a list? Do you own a chainsaw? and are you close to someplace to ship from?

miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 05:09:47 PM

Well I don't chop trees myself  Grin I do live near a place where I can DHL goods, but it's quite pricy. As for the wood, I know someone that might be able to get whatever sort of wood you're looking for, so do let me know Smiley

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender