Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:15:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USD -> BTC?  (Read 1182 times)
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 08:39:47 PM

I'm looking to buy 50 BTC with USD. What's the best way to do that? I've thought about buying from someone on these forums and paying with paypal? That seems frowned upon since I'm new here, and paypal doesn't like BTC. I've looked into going from Dwolla -> Mtgox, but that seems like a pain, and it seems they don't like to play nice together either. I've been mining for about 10 months, but this is my first time buying BTC. Thanks!

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:01:31 PM

p2p on Chase or ING?
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:06:13 PM

I don't use either of those banks. I use a local credit union just for having a debit card (and I don't believe in credit cards).

TizzyTazzy

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:08:05 PM

I need a $60 game paid with by credit/debit.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:08:53 PM

What city do you live in?  Most places have someone willing to trade for a commission, although it's not always cheaper than MtGox.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:10:38 PM

What city do you live in?  Most places have someone willing to trade for a commission, although it's not always cheaper than MtGox.

Southern Maine, about an hour north of Boston. I doubt I'd be able to meet anyone w/o spending $ on gas.

TehZomB

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:20:24 PM

The most convenient way is through a cash deposit (see bitinstant.com or aurumxchange.com) but the fees are up there.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:20:50 PM

Southern Maine, about an hour north of Boston. I doubt I'd be able to meet anyone w/o spending $ on gas.

Well, of course not.  But's that's true for anything, isn't it?  Transaction costs show up in every form of transaction, and transportation is one of those hidden ways.  It's one reason that Wal-Mart supercenters do so well even though the farmers' market has better pricing on produce, one stop shopping also means less fuel consumption. 

You could add a get together on your next planned trip to Boston.  Check out their local makerspace in Boston, IIRC they do have bitcoiners there.  They might even have some makers who live closer to yourself.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:26:30 PM

I don't use either of those banks. I use a local credit union just for having a debit card (and I don't believe in credit cards).

Does your credit union have https://www.popmoney.com/popnet/faces/popmoney/login/homepage.jsp?type=P
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:42:10 PM

Does your credit union have https://www.popmoney.com/popnet/faces/popmoney/login/homepage.jsp?type=P

Not on the list.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:54:37 PM

How is it you've been mining for 10 months and you only now start posting here?
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 10:33:15 PM

How is it you've been mining for 10 months and you only now start posting here?

I've been stalking this site for a while now. I started with Phoenix, but switched to cgminer and have been following that thread since page ~120ish(?) (i've kept weekly tabs on it ). Just never signed up to post anything till recently.

crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 10:47:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, but on my way home from work I thought of something: rather than jumping thru all kinds of hoops and signing up for 4 different web sites just to move the money around, I just decided to do this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84742.0

miernik

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 03:01:54 AM

Even though you live too far away from other people, you probably have some physical bank branches close to you. Buy from people who have accounts at these banks, by depositing cash in their account at the branch. That's the only fast, cheap and negligible risk method of getting paid in US.

Don't ever trade with Paypal (in either direction) other then with a Paypal purchase of a physical product (which is shipped with tracking) and the other party paying for it in BTC. That's the only manageable-risk method of dealing with Paypal. Don't ever believe in "sending as a gift is not reversible" or "I have high rating so I won't reverse" bullshit. Both are false, Paypal gift is reversible, and even if someone is trusted, but someone who paid him paid with a stolen account, and then they (unknowingly) paid you with that money, Paypal will reverse both transactions.

wmXchange

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

E-currency exchanger for Bitcoin, LR, WMZ, WU/MG

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 08:38:26 AM

I'm looking to buy 50 BTC with USD. What's the best way to do that? I've thought about buying from someone on these forums and paying with paypal? That seems frowned upon since I'm new here, and paypal doesn't like BTC. I've looked into going from Dwolla -> Mtgox, but that seems like a pain, and it seems they don't like to play nice together either. I've been mining for about 10 months, but this is my first time buying BTC. Thanks!

If you want to buy Bitcoin BTC and pay via Western Union or Money Gram we can help you. We accept payment from anywhere in the world. Check our website at www.wmxchange.net or if you want to make an order follow this link: http://www.wmxchange.net/buy-e-currency.php. After the payment is manually confirmed, the order will be completed as soon as possible.

WMXchange.net - Certified e-currency exchanger. We buy, sell and exchange Bitcoin using Western Union, Money Gram, Bank Transfer, Liberty Reserve, CashU, OKpay, Perfect Money.
Add us on Facebook
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: