Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:12:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty skyrocketing!  (Read 7424 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 11:42:11 AM

Well, the difficulty in keeping the U.S. debt from increasing exponentially, that is -- which then necessitates a vote to raise the debt ceiling (in red).

- http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/bumping-the-ceiling/2011/05/15/AFKT7Q4G_graphic.html

Doesn't look too terribly much different than Bitcoin's difficulty adjustments (red):

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 12:46:53 AM

profitability will keep difficulty in check.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 12:56:57 AM

Oh my god, how stupid is that!??

What's the point of having a debt ceiling if congress keeps increasing it each time it is reached?

It's a joke, right?

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 01:02:33 AM

What's the point of having a debt ceiling if congress keeps increasing it each time it is reached?

It's a joke, right?

No, unfortunately this is true.  They will raise the ceiling again soon. 

rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:09:58 AM

I guess it's brilliant if you are the one spending the money and have no morals?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 01:27:04 AM

I guess it's brilliant if you are the one spending the money and have no morals?

It's still silly. If you set your own credit card limit you don't really have a limit do you?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Malamute

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:54:42 AM

NPR just ran a story on All Things Considered today with a little history about the US debt ceiling and what they used to do before Congress implemented this policy: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/05/16/136363196/the-history-of-the-debt-ceiling
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 02:25:21 AM

Congress has been asked many dozens of times to raise the debt ceiling. It has never refused - not once.

The idea that there is a ceiling at all is a greater fantasy than the fiat currency they're using to breach it.
cschmitz

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 10:04:47 AM

i think we will see a diff close to 300k on the next update.

proud 5.x gh/s miner. tips welcome at 1A132BPnYMrgYdDaRyLpRrLQU4aG1WLRtd
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 10:15:18 AM

So let me guess.  The politicians and media people are going to yabber about the ceiling and blame the other party for the debt.  Then they will procrastinate in actually raising the debt ceiling until the very last minute.  Then they will threaten a government shutdown and try to frame the other party as being responsible for why any of your friends who work for the US are stuck without a job.  Then they will miraculously stitch together a hideous bill that no one actually likes, but they manage to pass it by strategically adding pork, strangely-worded clauses, and appending entirely unrelated bills to it.  They they will tell us that they didn't want to do it, but that they were forced to and had no choice.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 05:38:13 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2011, 05:48:57 PM by hazek

Limit? What limit? They raised it every fking time they were close to or at limit? What good is a limit of which it's purpose get's completely ignored by an increase every single time you reach it. It's no limit at all. Printing away, stealing our wealth with an invisible hand while trying to maintain an illusion of fiscal responsibility. That's what it really is.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 09:37:28 PM

The saddest part is it looked like it could turn around until 2011 came around and the US went to war with an emotion.  And we funded nearly all of the war on "fear and the people who make us feel that way" with debt.  The people who wanted to see the US fall could not have hoped for a better reaction.  We sacrificed out liberties, our economy, and our dignity in an effort to regain the illusion that we are safe.  As long as there is envy, a single man with a few materials from Walmart can disprove that illusion.  And the best way to combat envy is to help your neighbor when you can.  America's national unity has been fractured in a very severe way as the gap between debt holders and debtors grows.  Hopefully, bitcoin will help balance things out as debt holders will be slower to adopt a deflationary currency.  If not, anyone who doesn't have an escape plan is in for a world of hurt.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 05:36:42 AM

So let me guess.  The politicians and media people are going to yabber about the ceiling and blame the other party for the debt.  Then they will procrastinate in actually raising the debt ceiling until the very last minute.  Then they will threaten a government shutdown and try to frame the other party as being responsible for why any of your friends who work for the US are stuck without a job.  Then they will miraculously stitch together a hideous bill that no one actually likes, but they manage to pass it by strategically adding pork, strangely-worded clauses, and appending entirely unrelated bills to it.  They they will tell us that they didn't want to do it, but that they were forced to and had no choice.

You make it sound so simple! Why is it that so few people understand that that is exactly what's going on? Oh right, because they were educated in a school system run by the same people.
Justsomeforumuser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:33:59 PM

It's "your" fault.

If they cut spending on the military, the right whines America is now defenseless.

Kill medicare and you kill real people.

Raise taxes and the economy might stutter. Get out of foreign countries and maybe regret it later.

Etc.

My point being: for every cent spent, there's a huge lobby or audience that is going to cry "We will vote for whoever continues spending this!". Nobody accepts cuts. That doesn't change, debt doesn't change.

Simple. But want your cake and eat it, too? Does not work.

Here, you guys try making the decisions:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/13/weekinreview/deficits-graphic.html

Ho-Hum.
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 08:46:15 PM

My point being: for every cent spent, there's a huge lobby or audience that is going to cry "We will vote for whoever continues spending this!". Nobody accepts cuts. That doesn't change, debt doesn't change.

I'm happy to accept all cuts of all US Federal Government "services" in return for my taxes back.  I don't want their cake.

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 09:00:24 PM

I'm happy to accept all cuts of all US Federal Government "services" in return for my taxes back.  I don't want their cake.

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 12:58:18 AM

Use an alternate measure for inflation

Some economists believe that the Consumer Price Index overstates inflation, giving Social Security recipients larger cost-of-living increases than necessary. This option would use a different, lower inflation measure both for Social Security and in the tax code (thus pushing more households into higher brackets over time). Supporters say the lower measure is more accurate. Opponents say it is less accurate for the elderly, who buy a different mix of goods and services than other households.

lol wut?

Anyways, it took about five minutes to get a $65 billion surplus by 2015 and a $450 billion surplus by 2030.  And I could've done a much better job with a bit more granularity.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/13/weekinreview/deficits-graphic.html?choices=3xp7800c

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Longmarch

Activity: 131

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 02:22:47 AM

how stupid ... What's the point ... congress ... It's a joke, right?

Terrible side effect of democracy: legislators.
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 03:00:25 AM

It's "your" fault.

I agree. Anyone who continues to pay taxes while complaining about how their tax money is spent is a hypocrite.

Required disclaimer: I'm not suggesting you don't pay taxes. I'm suggesting you learn to live your life legally while paying as few taxes as possible. Yeah, it's not easy, but shit, do you have a spine or not?
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 04:51:57 AM

It's "your" fault.

I agree. Anyone who continues to pay taxes while complaining about how their tax money is spent is a hypocrite.

Required disclaimer: I'm not suggesting you don't pay taxes. I'm suggesting you learn to live your life legally while paying as few taxes as possible. Yeah, it's not easy, but shit, do you have a spine or not?

good point. 

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: