Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:18:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: One strike web of trust, where a verified personal photo is your ID?  (Read 3227 times)
hazek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 02:34:29 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2012, 03:00:11 PM by hazek

Ok I have this idea for which I wanted to test the waters a bit first to see whether or not I should even bother..

My hypothetical questions to you are this:

a) Would you consider a bitcoin transaction anonymous if the only info associated with it about your identity was your personal photo(no name, no IP, nothing besides your mug shot)? (this is more of a theoretical question)

b) Would you be willing to provide your personal photo to an organization in exchange for singing a contract binding yourself to certain private rules, a breach of which would only mean you'd get your membership with this organization terminated, and then whenever doing a bitcoin transaction you'd only do it if you and the counter party could see for each other that you are both on this organization's private members list of photos therefor knowing you both signed, agreed to and so far haven't broken the same private rules as an assurance against fraud or crime? (practical question)

The private organization in b) is kind of like a one strike web of trust, where a verified personal photo is your ID.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 07:02:13 PM

Is one thoughtless reply really all I'm going to get?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 07:13:12 PM

Already exists, no need to reinvent the wheel. See the thing in action here: http://www.startssl.org/?app=11

Notaries verify each other in person with a photo ID. Rogue users risk their certificates being revoked.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
riX

Activity: 326
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 07:20:31 PM

In the future it will be possible to search for photos with the same person in it on the internet using face recognition, the technology exists, an example is picasa.

I wouldn't trust anyone just because I've seen their photo.

The same functionality can be had with current PGP-based trust-rings, just have someone sign their photo file.

The question is, how would you know that the photo is not of someone else? You'll need additional information for that.

Sorry, I can't help you with your lost password.

PGP key: 0x9F31802C79642F25
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 07:22:22 PM

Every photo would be manually verified through either real life contact or video chat and yes, the plan would be to use facial recognition of say face.com to prevent someone who broke the rules from singing up with a new account.

And the idea isn't to trust someone because you've seen their photo, the idea is that you trust someone because being able to see their photo on a specific list of a specific organisation means they are following specific rules.

hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 07:25:23 PM

Already exists, no need to reinvent the wheel. See the thing in action here: http://www.startssl.org/?app=11

Notaries verify each other in person with a photo ID. Rogue users risk their certificates being revoked.

Oh wow, thanks for showing me this! EDIT: Although after a quick glance it's not exactly what I had in mind I don't think.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 07:31:00 PM

a) no, that's not anonymous. a photo can be linked to the person.

b) I might be willing to participate depending on what these rules are going to be and how they are subject to change.

It's pretty clear that the photos would probably leak, since they are accessible for members, right? Depending on the conspiracy theories evolving around your private club, people would search the net up and down to identify the members... better not be up to something bad, otherwise the guillotine might be waiting in the end Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 07:36:55 PM

The reason I was thinking of using photos is because I want to absolutely prevent someone from ever getting back on the list by creating a new account and it's the only feature of our bodies I know of that can be used for this purpose cheaply and without the need of a device other than your eyes when confirming the identity. Remember this organization would only request your photo, nothing else, no name, no address, no age, nothing, just the photo.

hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 07:47:07 PM

Oh wow, thanks for showing me this! EDIT: Although after a quick glance it's not exactly what I had in mind I don't think.

I now completely understand what this is and it's not at all what I had in mind. I don't want to know someone's identity, I just want a list of people who say they'll obey specific rules, a list that they'll get removed off of if they don't and a list they cannot ever rejoin, that's all.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 07:53:55 PM

The same functionality can be had with current PGP-based trust-rings, just have someone sign their photo file.

This was discussed here as well:

Why not use key signatures?

A couple of reasons. First, currently the key signatures are used as an indicator that you have verified the other key's identity, building the "pgp web of trust" which is about verifying real life id, rather than being any kind of indicator of trustworthiness. Trying to glom on a trading-trust web into an existing web that's about something completely different would be problematic at best.
Further, key signatures do not provide the flexibility afforded by the design of the contracts system.

- http://privwiki.dreamhosters.com/wiki/Distributed_Web_of_Trust_Proposal_2#Why_not_use_key_signatures.3F

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 3010

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 08:01:31 PM

I don't want to know someone's identity, I just want a list of people who say they'll obey specific rules, a list that they'll get removed off of if they don't and a list they cannot ever rejoin, that's all.

That's what this forum is.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 08:02:40 PM

I don't want to know someone's identity, I just want a list of people who say they'll obey specific rules, a list that they'll get removed off of if they don't and a list they cannot ever rejoin, that's all.

Can people please stop posting thoughtless comments, it's really annoying.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 3010

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 08:54:12 PM

Can people please stop posting thoughtless comments, it's really annoying.

That's funny.  You think because you have an asshole disclaimer in your signature you can be as thoughtless as you want?  Hope you understand your troll comment (and the responses such a comment brings) is just as much of a distraction as my one liner.   Wink

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
mollison

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 07:10:33 AM

I don't believe this would serve any purpose as described. It would be too easy for a scammer to use a fake photo.

Also, the bitcoin-otc web of trust seems to have already solved this problem as well as it need to be solved right now.

That said, just to go along with the brainstorming and possibly find a better use for the idea...

The bitcoin-otc WoT could in theory include entries such as "I met X in person and here is a link to his/her picture," or really any kind of information.

You could also have several bitcoin-otc users verify that user X claims a certain picture/set of pictures, which could be useful for establishing real identity if needed in a future in-person interaction.

Claiming a picture could also be useful for providing evidence to link a person to an earlier account if they've lost their private key. For example, a widely trusted user could leave the comment "user Y claims to be user X but to have lost his private key for X. I met user Y in person and verified that he looks identical to the photos claimed previously by User X. Thus, it is somewhat safe to assume that Y is X."
hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 09:07:30 AM

It would be too easy for a scammer to use a fake photo.

It wouldn't, all photos would need to be verified by either meeting in real life or through live video chat by another member at the threat of getting it wrong meaning the member who verified it would also get removed in case it turned out it was a fake photo. Under this scheme I can't imagine a scenario where someone could get a photo through that wasn't theirs.

bitcoin-otc has two problems. You can create as many "accounts" as you want without getting linked and you aren't bound by any rules when you create an account, all it shows is that in the past you honored your contracts deals. My idea is potentially not just for internet Bitcoin transactions but perhaps also a blueprint for a free peaceful society with some private mandatory and consistent rules without rulers (i.e. anarchy).

interlagos

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 10:01:12 AM

What would you do with identical tweens, provided that one of them went rogue?
Also fake mustaches and wig might be hard to recognize in a video chat.

Just check out The Juice Media | Rap News (http://thejuicemedia.com/) it's all one guy most of the time!
By the way they accept donations in Bitcoin Smiley
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2012, 10:53:39 AM

Also, what would prevent a scammer from paying someone to do the video verify and then use that account in some elaborate, long con?

hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 11:21:42 AM

Also, what would prevent a scammer from paying someone to do the video verify and then use that account in some elaborate, long con?

First: anyone could only once scam someone if they didn't care being on the list
Second: it's your responsibility when dealing with someone and receiving their membership ID and being able to see their photo to verify it again for yourself

The initial verification is only for preventing fake photos being used and preventing a new signup by the same person. Preventing someone using a members ID in an identity theft is done by an on the go individual verification.

So say you as a member want to do business with B, you don't know B, B tells you his also a member of this organization's list of members bound to certain rules, he gives you his ID, you give him yours, you each other either meet in RL or meet in a live video chat to make sure the photos match, boom, now you know you both have agreed to the same rules for which you, because you are still both on the list, you are able to know neither of you has broken yet towards any other member. The list will also show for how long someone is being on it..

Of course if you have only 5 people on the list this is pointless, but imagine if you have a huge community of people on it and you as an outsider can't do business with any of them if you aren't on the list, then it becomes much more significant and you will have a huge incentive to stay on the list if you wanted to continue to do business with that community.

hazek (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 11:28:04 AM

What would you do with identical tweens, provided that one of them went rogue?

Good question. The solution is probably a live video chat with the twins or real life meeting with them to ensure they actually exist and grant them their spot on the list. If after that they abuse each other's membership ID and get each other removed, they'll only be able to do so once and it's not much that can be done about it I don't think (at least not off the top of my head right now).

Also fake mustaches and wig might be hard to recognize in a video chat.

Just check out The Juice Media | Rap News (http://thejuicemedia.com/) it's all one guy most of the time!
By the way they accept donations in Bitcoin Smiley

Video chat will require some tests to prove it's live real time and perhaps some touching, tugging and pulling of their face to ensure it's not a mask.. Someone like that would need to have his mask on every single time they wanted to use their membership ID in a transaction.. plus I think facial recognition doesn't get fooled by a simple fake mustache and the rap news guy's mask are very obvious.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
June 03, 2012, 02:34:59 PM

The private organization in b) is kind of like a one strike web of trust, where a verified personal photo is your ID.
I like your concept, but I can't think of a reliable way to do it with photo ID.

Regarding the OTC web of trust: It's interesting, and it is built on sound principles, but has two drawbacks:

(1) GPG signing is not yet easy enough for everyone and their grandparents to do it.

(2) There's no limit to the creation of new OTC-WOT identities.

For your proposed club, limitation (1) would not be a show-stopper because we are a bunch of geeks. As the usage of Bitcoin broadens, hopefully the use of GPG by Joe Average will become easier too.

I think you also have to accept limitation (2), simply because there's no robust way around this limitation. I think there's a lot that could be done within this limitation - for example someone might start an escrow service where the WOT ID with shortest history has their side of the transaction held in escrow.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: