Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:00:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slashdotted (again)  (Read 4991 times)
phathash (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 01:51:42 PM

#1 story on ./ "BitCoin, the Most Dangerous Project Ever?"

forum seems slow to load!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kseistrup

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 01:57:22 PM

I thought we were being DDoS'ed (which we are, in a way)…

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
stakhanov

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 02:26:07 PM

I think the technology reddit is a much more likely culprit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/hc63x/bitcoin_p2p_currency_the_most_dangerous_project/

Slashdot isn't that big anymore.
technotarian

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 02:41:59 PM

Yes, the forum is slow as cold soup.

Switching over to https:// helps ... hmmmm?
technotarian

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 03:06:25 PM

By jove, this was a good read (the reddit link);

Q:    If the laptop is destroyed, those bitcoins can never be used again, and they are effectively out of circulation, but new coins are not created to replace them.

C: I shall call this the second law of bitcoin dynamics!
AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 04:31:27 PM

They're even less impressed with the article than you guys were.  Roll Eyes
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 07:37:00 PM

With such title on slashdot, I didn't even bothered to read the article... I was quite embarrassed with such title on slashdot. Seemed a bit that someone bought bitcoins just before MtGox went down and wanted to push MtGox back with some cheap publicity.
alkor

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 07:42:49 PM

Most of the comments on slashdot were quite hostile. Either they claimed bitcoin was a scam project, or that a deflationary currency is not viable.
Anonymous

May 16, 2011, 07:46:14 PM

Most of the comments on slashdot were quite hostile. Either they claimed bitcoin was a scam project, or that a deflationary currency is not viable.
They don't believe in economic freedom. You can't expect anything more.
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 07:47:52 PM

Has been like that with previous posts as well... Most don't bother to look how it works and just yell (in a IANAL-type of fashion).
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 07:49:57 PM

They don't believe in economic freedom. You can't expect anything more.

No. They are dumb shit compared to the Hacker News, who actually evolve their opinions on bitcoin.

jed

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

Jed McCaleb

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 07:58:13 PM

The problem is the way bitcoin is presented. You guys all like it because you are libertarian types. But keep in mind that the vast majority of people in the world aren't. But bitcoin doesn't just appeal to libertarian types. All you need to say to promote it is:
Bitcoin is a free paypal that anyone can use.

Please leave the libertarian, going to replace all other currencies, take over the world stuff out of it. That just turns people off.
The only important thing for people to know is that it is better than what people use now for online payments.

stellar.org   |    twitter
Matt Corallo

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 07:58:56 PM

Seriously, why do people link that article.  Its just linkbait.  Its a sensationalist article which isn't very well written and is just a copy/paste of some of the stuff that bitcoiners say, it isn't even thought through or discussed.  Then again what do you expect from Jason Calacanis?

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE
Matt Corallo

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:00:55 PM

The problem is the way bitcoin is presented. You guys all like it because you are libertarian types. But keep in mind that the vast majority of people in the world aren't. But bitcoin doesn't just appeal to libertarian types. All you need to say to promote it is:
So true, so true.

JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:04:14 PM

People have been brainwashed their whole lives into thinking that inflation is an acceptable property of a currency. Some people are slower than the rest in erasing their preconceptions...
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:07:56 PM

Please leave the libertarian, going to replace all other currencies, take over the world stuff out of it. That just turns people off.
The only important thing for people to know is that it is better than what people use now for online payments.

This seems misleading, as Paypal is a transmission method for supported currencies while Bitcoin is a currency of its own. Saying it's like Paypal might lead people to believe that they can use it anywhere Paypal is accepted, rather than the limited number of merchants that accept Bitcoin.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:14:00 PM

If you don't explain to people that it's not dollar-denominated, that it is an entirely new currency that can increase or decrease in value relative to the dollar, you are misinforming them.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Matt Corallo

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:15:49 PM

This seems misleading, as Paypal is a transmission method for supported currencies while Bitcoin is a currency of its own. Saying it's like Paypal might lead people to believe that they can use it anywhere Paypal is accepted, rather than the limited number of merchants that accept Bitcoin.
So you inform them of that.  Still, its purpose is similar to Paypal and that should be advertised, not that it is designed to redo the entire financial system on a deflationary currency.

BitterTea

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:22:28 PM

So you inform them of that.  Still, its purpose is similar to Paypal and that should be advertised, not that it is designed to redo the entire financial system on a deflationary currency.

Then they ask "why are there only 21 million? that's not enough!?".

Besides, I would argue that it was designed to address the flaws of our current financial system.

Quote from: satoshi
The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust thats required to make it
work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of
fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust. Banks must be trusted to hold our
money and transfer it electronically, but they lend it out in waves of credit bubbles
with barely a fraction in reserve. We have to trust them with our privacy, trust them
not to let identity thieves drain our accounts. Their massive overhead costs make
micropayments impossible.

A generation ago, multi-user time-sharing computer systems had a similar problem.
Before strong encryption, users had to rely on password protection to secure their
files, placing trust in the system administrator to keep their information private.
Privacy could always be overridden by the admin based on his judgment call weighing the
principle of privacy against other concerns, or at the behest of his superiors. Then
strong encryption became available to the masses, and trust was no longer required.
Data could be secured in a way that was physically impossible for others to access, no
matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter what.

Its time we had the same thing for money. With e-currency based on cryptographic
proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and
transactions effortless.
unk

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:22:40 PM

Seriously, why do people link that article.  Its just linkbait.  Its a sensationalist article which isn't very well written and is just a copy/paste of some of the stuff that bitcoiners say, it isn't even thought through or discussed.  Then again what do you expect from Jason Calacanis?

well said!
spndr7
Legendary

Activity: 1020
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 08:24:02 PM

I just read some parts of the article at slashdot . I think people having become over-cautious to anonymous and untraceable nature of bitcoin.
Every good thing in the world can be used to the worst.

A part from the article --

"The article talks about the untraceable, un-hackable nature of BitCoin. They can't be locked down like PayPal, and the article predicts that governments will start banning them in the next 18 months."

If any of the govt. bans bitcoin,that itself will propel bitcoin's popularity to the masses and it will upon them to think whether it is good or bad .

Another set of comment the articles arising from ignorance --

Cornwallis (1188489) writes: "BitCoin should be banned because we want our currency to be as safe and stable as the U.S. dollar."

jandrese (485) writes:" I could only read that article with the late night salesguy's "These collector coins can only go up in value!" voice, but the content of the article was all about how it's clearly a scam and the author is obviously in on it."

Is there a author ?

I think we need to clear misconceptions .

gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:26:52 PM

With such title on slashdot, I didn't even bothered to read the article... I was quite embarrassed with such title on slashdot. Seemed a bit that someone bought bitcoins just before MtGox went down and wanted to push MtGox back with some cheap publicity.

I am 90% certain that Calcanis purchased ~100k of them a week or two before his show, and is now trying to promote the crap out of them for a quick profit.
vuce

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:28:14 PM

Cornwallis (1188489) writes: "BitCoin should be banned because we want our currency to be as safe and stable as the U.S. dollar."
I'm pretty sure this was a sarcastic remark Smiley
elewton

Activity: 407

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:30:17 PM

I am 90% certain that Calcanis purchased ~100k of them a week or two before his show, and is now trying to promote the crap out of them for a quick profit.

Bingo.  Now does he cash out quick, or does he go in for the long haul?

BitterTea

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:31:13 PM

What evidence leads you to this conclusion?
Matt Corallo

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:36:04 PM

Besides, I would argue that it was designed to address the flaws of our current financial system.
No, you are right, sorry I misspoke.  I meant that although it might have been satoshi's intent, I dont think its reasonable within any reasonable timespan.  That said, bitcoin has many uses for Internet transactions (great for digital goods so that people anywhere in the world can easily buy things) and maybe some use cases in LDCs. 

eMansipater

Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 08:48:37 PM

+10
It seems that very few people talking up BitCoin on other sites have a good grasp of the way this sort of thing actually looks to the majority of people.  If you restrict your pitch to your own philosophical interest in BitCoin, you will at best appeal to that narrow subset of people who already agree with you.  If you leave out your own philosophical agenda and just talk about BitCoin as BitCoin--a protocol, not a philosophy--you will hook every geek out there.

My number one concern for the future of BitCoin is that it be restricted to those of a very particular philosophical bent which represent only a couple percent of the general geek population (and not me).  Even though I'm essentially a kopimist, I never would have tried to sell BitTorrent as the birth of the kopimist utopia.  I would have just talked plain tech, because that's how BitTorrent succeeded:  everywhere.  This community needs to stop vomiting their own dogfood over everyone and allow BitCoin to start diversifying.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
unk

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 09:07:27 PM

i'm not at all a fan of calacanis, but i doubt this. he couldn't be that stupid, because this would probably be very public and easily investigated securities fraud. didn't some celebrity rapper run afoul of the same thing (not bitcoins, obviously, but some penny stock) on twitter a few months ago?
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 09:48:02 PM

Bitcoin is not a security.  No one is under the impression that Bitcoin is backed by anything.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Shortline

Activity: 123

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 10:00:20 PM

Huzzah! Too true. Though I think bitcoin is a robust enough idea to withstand the general disdain most people have for anything libertarian, there's an exclusionary attitude around these forums that doesn't help either. Every time you say the word "bankster" or "brainwashing" one person nods in assent, two people are bored and ten leave in disgust. Just sayin - no need to post it in every single thread, you do more harm than good.

Huzzah! Also too true. I suggest:

Bitcoin is the native currency of the World Wide Web.
BitterTea

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 10:02:08 PM

I suggest:

How about...

Bitcoin is a peer to peer protocol used to exchange scarce cryptographic tokens called bitcoins, which can be used as money.
nereer

Why settle for the lesser evil?

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 10:02:39 PM

Well, apparently he popped up on the forums the other day, so he is doing hell of a performance if his real aim is pump & dump. I get the impression he is really excited about the project. Note that this does not mean he is doing exactly what you say anyway.

If you agree that Bitcoin needs a dedicated Q & A site please sign up for the Bitcoin StackExchange site!
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 10:03:06 PM

This! Bitcoin is the Internet’s money.
Shortline

Activity: 123

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 10:11:42 PM

This! Bitcoin is the Internet’s money.

Yeah I thought that too but I feel if you don't say "currency" it'll bring to mind beenz and flooz and whatever the hell. Currency is an under-utilized and powerful word. To my mind, "Internet money" conjures an image of etheriality and substancelessness not on par with the current/projected buying power of bitcoin.

technotarian

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 07:03:21 AM

It is actually something more than money, as we know it ... (it's money Jim, but not as we know it).

Bitcoin will succeed regardless and because of "dog-food vomiting libertarians."

The socialists and statists will not be able to overcome their greed and yearning to have the best money and information technology available. They will use bitcoin in spite of themselves. We will shove it down their throats and they will ask for more hard currency. True Liberty has never come about through pretty means, palatable to the braindead masses.

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
— Thomas Jefferson

(Hopefully in an online world all this blood-letting is purely figurative ... but "they" got the guns so who knows?)
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 10:21:03 AM

"Bitcoins are super-convenient barter tokens for the internet"
berlin

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 10:52:32 AM

It is actually something more than money, as we know it ... (it's money Jim, but not as we know it).

Bitcoin will succeed regardless and because of "dog-food vomiting libertarians."

The socialists and statists will not be able to overcome their greed and yearning to have the best money and information technology available. They will use bitcoin in spite of themselves. We will shove it down their throats and they will ask for more hard currency. True Liberty has never come about through pretty means, palatable to the braindead masses.

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
— Thomas Jefferson

(Hopefully in an online world all this blood-letting is purely figurative ... but "they" got the guns so who knows?)

Socialists are greedy now?  Huh
jed

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

Jed McCaleb

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 01:16:22 PM

Bitcoin is a peer to peer protocol used to exchange scarce cryptographic tokens called bitcoins, which can be used as money.

But people don't care how things work. They just want them to work. (This is still lightyears better than mentioning how it will take out banks though)

Bitcoins are super-convenient barter tokens for the internet

This is better since it speaks more to function.

But I still think saying how it is an improvement over something people are already familiar with (like paypal) is better. Even if the comparison isn't the complete story. The above quote will make most people think, "What do I need barter tokens for?"

stellar.org   |    twitter
Terpie

Activity: 174
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:22:00 PM

But people don't care how things work. They just want them to work. (This is still lightyears better than mentioning how it will take out banks though)

But I still think saying how it is an improvement over something people are already familiar with (like paypal) is better. Even if the comparison isn't the complete story. The above quote will make most people think, "What do I need barter tokens for?"

Important characteristics that need to be harped on:

Unfreezable
Predictable (Unable to be manipulated)
Near-zero transaction fees
Potentially Anonymous
Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:23:57 PM

of course, because socialists are "evil" and greed is "evil" so socialists = greedy Cheesy its just basic math!

ZOMG Moo!
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:24:37 PM

Socialists are greedy now?  Huh

Of course. They always want to steal more from the productive to give to the unproductive.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:38:12 PM

But I still think saying how it is an improvement over something people are already familiar with (like paypal) is better. Even if the comparison isn't the complete story.

I agree with you, Jed, that comparing Bitcoin to familiar things such as PayPal is the most productive option.

But I can't bring myself to tell people "Bitcoin is a free paypal that anyone can use" when Bitcoin isn't always free to use. And I can't think of an honest slogan that's as catchy as your slogan.
speeder

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:57:14 PM

But I still think saying how it is an improvement over something people are already familiar with (like paypal) is better. Even if the comparison isn't the complete story.

I agree with you, Jed, that comparing Bitcoin to familiar things such as PayPal is the most productive option.

But I can't bring myself to tell people "Bitcoin is a free paypal that anyone can use" when Bitcoin isn't always free to use. And I can't think of an honest slogan that's as catchy as your slogan.

Agreed!

Totally. And I would use that slogan... I hate when I see someone explaining bitcoin as a crytocurrencywhatnot and people just look at them with a "huhwtf?!?!?" face.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄